Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

IU goes 12-1 and beats Arkansas I could maybe see them cracking the 25, but I still have doubts. It’s gonna take at least a couple conference wins.
I’m personally fine with that.

We will of course get tested in bigten play but no reason to have the weakest SOS in the entire conference.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Actually we have the toughest road in the B1G. Not all schedules are created equal. We actually have the toughest schedule in America from here on out. Sure, anybody is allowed to complain about it. I don’t know if that was rhetorical but I have never said anything about this. But I did respond to your first question where you quoted me. I wasn’t sure if you were asking me the rest of this or if it was rhetorical.

At what point should teams stop being rewarded for having a tougher SOS if they are losing against tougher opponents? At the end of the day, IU has beaten everyone besides a bad showing AT Madison. There are teams that are ranked that have far worse loses than that.

Look at Virginia. Who the hell have they beaten that warrants them to be ranked where they are? They have loses to Purdue (at Mackey, but Purdue doesn't look very good) and South Carolina (AT HOME). There only "good" wins are against a historically bad Syracuse and North Carolina. 

Actually we have the toughest road in the B1G. Not all schedules are created equal. We actually have the toughest schedule in America from here on out. Sure, anybody is allowed to complain about it. I don’t know if that was rhetorical but I have never said anything about this. But I did respond to your first question where you quoted me. I wasn’t sure if you were asking me the rest of this or if it was rhetorical.

I asked because I was curious and believed all the ranked bigten teams had a tougher SOS and then didn’t wait for a reply and looked it up, only to find it was way worse than I thought and that our SOS is worst in the conference by far, only Northwestern being in the same ball park.

The schedules in bigten play are different but nowhere near as contrasting as the out of conference schedules. I can’t imagine we end up moving too far out of that cellar position

I asked because I was curious and believed all the ranked bigten teams had a tougher SOS and then didn’t wait for a reply and looked it up, only to find it was way worse than I thought and that our SOS is worst in the conference by far, only Northwestern being in the same ball park.

The schedules in bigten play are different but nowhere near as contrasting as the out of conference schedules. I can’t imagine we end up moving too far out of that cellar position

For sure. It will change a little as teams will fluctuate based on their play. I imagine we will end up close to 40-50 in the nation. Northwestern and us will be very close. They may end up behind us. Maybe Nebraska? But I wouldn’t think anyone other than that. Like if we ended up with 5 losses overall our SOS will not hurt us from getting a top seed if that’s what we are worried about. We won’t get 5 losses but I just wanted to illustrate our SOS will not hamper us for things that will matter.

At what point should teams stop being rewarded for having a tougher SOS if they are losing against tougher opponents? At the end of the day, IU has beaten everyone besides a bad showing AT Madison. There are teams that are ranked that have far worse loses than that.
Look at Virginia. Who the hell have they beaten that warrants them to be ranked where they are? They have loses to Purdue (at Mackey, but Purdue doesn't look very good) and South Carolina (AT HOME). There only "good" wins are against a historically bad Syracuse and North Carolina. 

Because of the name on the jersey. They really haven’t looked great at all.

46 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Us being unranked at this point is absolute horsesh!t.

Not sure I understand not being ranked, but it doesn't bother me a whole lot. ... What completely flummoxes me is PU getting more votes than us in the coaches poll. That makes absolutely no sense to me.

43 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

I feel like pollsters are waiting for the collapse.

I can’t say I blame them at all, judging from going ranked last year to our nearly unprecedented losing streak. They’re hesitant to rank us, and frankly so am I.

A lot of people are complaining about SOS and the complaints have some merit. I personally think it was smart with the make up of this team. I’m not sure how it works out and I’m not sure it prepared us enough for the grinds of the BIG10, but I think it gives us the best shot to make the tournament. Coach needs small victories (like making the tournament) to continue to build his program.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

A lot of people are complaining about SOS and the complaints have some merit. I personally think it was smart with the make up of this team. I’m not sure how it works out and I’m not sure it prepared us enough for the grinds of the BIG10, but I think it gives us the best shot to make the tournament. Coach needs small victories (like making the tournament) to continue to build his program.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I think this has a bit to do with it. I also think it has to do with perspective.

In two games against ACC opponents, ESPN has mentioned it. In the Notre Dame game it came up just once. Although IU has a much stronger SOS than Notre Dame. Against FSU, it was pretty much every other comment.

Don’t get it twisted, the noncon SOS isn’t good by any stretch. But...

La Tech - Quad 3 (fringe 2)
FSU - Quad 1
UConn - Quad 2
Notre Dame - Quad 3 (fringe 2)
Arkansas - Quad 2 game

Then the grind starts..

Opponent - NET (Home) Away
Neb - 178 (quad 4) quad 3
Wiscy - 45 (quad 2) quad 1
Maryland - 20 (quad 1) quad 1
Northwestern - 143 (quad 3)
O$U - 2 (quad 1) quad 1
Rutgers - 39 quad 1
MSU - 22 (quad 1)
Penn St. 18 (quad 1) quad 1
pu - 47 (quad 2) quad 1
Iowa - 26 (quad 2)
Michigan - 16 quad 1
Minny - 28 (quad 2) quad 1
Ill- 41 quad 1

Conference games only:
Quad 1 - 13
Quad 2 - 4
Quad 3 - 2
Quad 4 - 1

The noncon SOS will have zero effect on whether we make the tourney or stay home. Our ability to win enough conference games and not have a bad conference loss will be the determining factor in us dancing.

I think this has a bit to do with it. I also think it has to do with perspective.

In two games against ACC opponents, ESPN has mentioned it. In the Notre Dame game it came up just once. Although IU has a much stronger SOS than Notre Dame. Against FSU, it was pretty much every other comment.

FSU - Quad 1
UConn - Quad 2
Arkansas - Quad 2 game

Then the grind starts..

O$U - 2 (quad 1) quad 1
Rutgers - 39 quad 1
MSU - 22 (quad 1)
pu - 47 (quad 2) quad 1
Iowa - 26 (quad 2)
Michigan - 16 quad 1
Ill- 41 quad 1

Conference games only:
Quad 1 - 13
Quad 2 - 4
Quad 3 - 2
Quad 4 - 1

The noncon SOS will have zero effect on whether we make the tourney or stay home. Our ability to win enough conference games and not have a bad conference loss will be the determining factor in us dancing.

Stop with the logic, you.

14 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

FSU - Quad 1
UConn - Quad 2
Arkansas - Quad 2 game

Then the grind starts..

O$U - 2 (quad 1) quad 1
Rutgers - 39 quad 1
MSU - 22 (quad 1)
pu - 47 (quad 2) quad 1
Iowa - 26 (quad 2)
Michigan - 16 quad 1
Ill- 41 quad 1

Conference games only:
Quad 1 - 13
Quad 2 - 4
Quad 3 - 2
Quad 4 - 1

I agree. Did the non-con schedule get us ready for the BIG10? With the makeup of this team, I think it was the best path to get us ready to play the BIG10 schedule. This team needed to build confidence and build chemistry, which I think they have done. I will be the first to say - I don't have the first clue on what the rest of this season is going to bring. We need enough to build some momentum going forward.

This year: Make the tournament and anything can happen.