Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

2 hours ago, mdn82 said:

Yep, I am indifferent on it to this point. I feel for the most part the best teams are playing in the big tournament. Last year was more of an outlier than most years and the formula wasn’t crazy off.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Anytime you implement something new there  will be a learning curve and trail and error. Last year they released the NET numbers too early and people lost their minds over the early numbers (RPI was just as bad with their early numbers). This year they listened to the feedback and will release them later on. I’m hoping to hear what tweaks they did to last years system.

2 hours ago, Uspshoosier said:

Anytime you implement something new there will be a learning curve and trail and error. Last year they released the NET numbers too early and people lost their minds over the early numbers (RPI was just as bad with their early numbers). This year they listened to the feedback and will release them later on. I’m hoping to hear what tweaks they did to last years system.

Hearing they will release this Monday.

Big Ten home teams now 10-0... I live the Big Ten.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Unranked Illinois was 1.5 favorite at home against a top 5 team. Lol. I love college basketball. Bad news for road teams this year in the B1G but good news for me and other junkies that get to watch the anarchy

The NCAA needs to throw the NET in the trash, contract out several different rating systems that take different things into account and make a composite. Then go by that. The. You get as many as angles on teams as you can and it’d be more accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

A composite doesn’t ensure “accuracy” and how do you define accuracy of a subjective quality “best teams”.

The NET is totally fine so far after one season.

A composite doesn’t ensure “accuracy” and how do you define accuracy of a subjective quality “best teams”.

Totally fine and rigged by the NCAA to ensure dolla bills. It’s a trash system. No one system can be the end all be all. So yes, if you have several different rating systems, you’re going to come out more accurate than what just the one would say.

Yep it was perfectly fine last year. It got the teams in that should have been. I don’t recall much if any complaining last year.

Totally fine and rigged by the NCAA to ensure dolla bills. It’s a trash system. No one system can be the end all be all. So yes, if you have several different rating systems, you’re going to come out more accurate than what just the one would say.

Joe, they didn’t need to create a new rating system to rig it.

Why don’t you create your own composite and see how many of the mid majors make it in. The bigger schools are better because they have more money and can recruit better players. So you can try to fix the ratings all you want - it won’t help.

15 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Good thing it’s not the end all be all. Each committee member can take into account whatever metric they feel is important when each team comes up during the selection process. If the NET was the end all like you feared then NC State, Indiana, Clemson and Texas would of probably got a bid instead of Belmont, Temple, and St Johns. St Johns got in with a NET 73. Clemson and NC State got left out with 35 and 33 NET. Since they had IU in the first 4 out if it was about dollar bills shouldn’t they of just switched Belmont out for IU since they were close? I totally agree with you that the high major teams have an advantage over mid major teams during the selection process but that’s not a NET problem that’s a ncaa tournament selection problem that’s been going on since the beginning.

Sometimes I come here just to read your excellent, insightful rebuttals. Bravo, sir.

Joe, they didn’t need to create a new rating system to rig it.

Why don’t you create your own composite and see how many of the mid majors make it in. The bigger schools are better because they have more money and can recruit better players. So you can try to fix the ratings all you want - it won’t help.

It’s even easier for them to rig a system that no one knows.

Good thing it’s not the end all be all. Each committee member can take into account whatever metric they feel is important when each team comes up during the selection process. If the NET was the end all like you feared then NC State, Indiana, Clemson and Texas would of probably got a bid instead of Belmont, Temple, and St Johns. St Johns got in with a NET 73. Clemson and NC State got left out with 35 and 33 NET. Since they had IU in the first 4 out if it was about dollar bills shouldn’t they of just switched Belmont out for IU since they were close? I totally agree with you that the high major teams have an advantage over mid major teams during the selection process but that’s not a NET problem that’s a ncaa tournament selection problem that’s been going on since the beginning.

And St Johns shouldn’t have even sniffed the tourney. Couldn’t even finish .500 in a down Big East. NC State should have been in. Clemson should have been in.

And St Johns shouldn’t have even sniffed the tourney. Couldn’t even finish .500 in a down Big East. NC State should have been in. Clemson should have been in.

NC State with a non conference SOS of 340 should of been in? If the NET was all the committee cared about NC State would of been in with a 33 NET. Luckily they look at the whole body of work