Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

Was thinking today, how many teams do we think the big ten gets in to NCAA’s? My final standings look like: OSU, Michigan, Mich State, Maryland, Purdue, Indiana, Illinois, Penn State, Iowa, Wisco, with a slew of bottom feeders. Realistically, 9 of those teams will likely have an argument for a bit so it’ll be interesting to see how things shake out.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Was thinking today, how many teams do we think the big ten gets in to NCAA’s? My final standings look like: OSU, Michigan, Mich State, Maryland, Purdue, Indiana, Illinois, Penn State, Iowa, Wisco, with a slew of bottom feeders. Realistically, 9 of those teams will likely have an argument for a bit so it’ll be interesting to see how things shake out.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Ohio State, Michigan State, Michigan and Maryland are pretty likely. Penn State and Indiana probably have the best chances after that. Illinois right behind them. Iowa will likely be on the outside looking in. Wisconsin isn’t in the conversation.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

To date, Illinois looks better than Indiana, having defeated Michigan and losing to Maryland by 1 point at College Park.

Not really. In the selection committees eyes we have fairly equal tier wins and they have 3 losses. Their Michigan win is a tier 1 win at home. Their Maryland loss is a loss. I would much rather have what we have. 1 loss. If they could have turned that Miami or Maryland loss into a win I would have agreed. They are close though. They just will need wins when it comes time.

47 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

Not really. In the selection committees eyes we have fairly equal tier wins and they have 3 losses. Their Michigan win is a tier 1 win at home. Their Maryland loss is a loss. I would much rather have what we have. 1 loss. If they could have turned that Miami or Maryland loss into a win I would have agreed. They are close though. They just will need wins when it comes time.

Do all losses count the same? Honest question because I don't know. Do teirs play a role at all in the losses? Losing to a quad one team versus a quad two or whatever.

9 minutes ago, Hollywood Mike Miranda said:

Do all losses count the same? Honest question because I don't know. Do teirs play a role at all in the losses? Losing to a quad one team versus a quad two or whatever.

Yes tiers play a role in losses. a Quad 1 loss is much different than a quad 4 loss. The old standards would call quad 3 and 4 losses as "bad losses". 

All losses are not the same. Use to be anything over 100 was considered a bad loss in eyes of committee. When they introduced the quad system they acknowledged that they weighted it to where they put more emphasis on winning on the road and made it to where they didn’t punish teams as much for losing on the road or neutral court. A quad 1 win is
1-30- for a home game
1-50- for a neutral court win
1-75- for a road win
What teams need to avoid is losing Quad 3 and 4 games at home. Those are resume killers for teams trying to earn a bid. Teams can overcome those losses but it’s a uphill battle

To date, Illinois looks better than Indiana, having defeated Michigan and losing to Maryland by 1 point at College Park.

They also were down close to 30 at home to a Miami team that UConn blew out. Illinois needed OT at home to beat Nicholls. I would say overall IU has looked better to date in my opinion but it’s close

You must not have watched IU's last two games or the Illinois versus Michigan and Illinois versus Maryland games. There is no question Illinois looked better than Indiana in the last two games. If Indiana plays against either of those Big Ten opponents like they did against Wisconsin (or even Connecticut), there will be many disappointed IU fans.

All losses are not the same. Use to be anything over 100 was considered a bad loss in eyes of committee. When they introduced the quad system they acknowledged that they weighted it to where they put more emphasis on winning on the road and made it to where they didn’t punish teams as much for losing on the road or neutral court. A quad 1 win is
1-30- for a home game
1-50- for a neutral court win
1-75- for a road win
What teams need to avoid is losing Quad 3 and 4 games at home. Those are resume killers for teams trying to earn a bid. Teams can overcome those losses but it’s a uphill battle

An @$$ kicking by any team is a bad loss. Losing by 30 is a lot different than by 5 or 10. Sane with winning. But the committee capped it at 10.

Every bracketoligist would still love to know what numbers go into their algorithm to come up with their most important factor in the NET (Team Value Index). They still haven’t released that and probably never will

Every bracketoligist would still love to know what numbers go into their algorithm to come up with their most important factor in the NET (Team Value Index). They still haven’t released that and probably never will

You'd think that KP or the other stat geeks would've spent some of the spring/summer trying to figure out the Colonel's recipe.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

You'd think that KP or the other stat geeks would've spent some of the spring/summer trying to figure out the Colonel's recipe.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I believe in time they’ll get extremely close to figuring out that algorithm. Once they do, the committee will probably change it a bit.

I believe in time they’ll get extremely close to figuring out that algorithm. Once they do, the committee will probably change it a bit.

It shouldn’t be a big deal. They used RPI forever and that formula was known by everybody. Knowing just gives people with their own sites time to release their data early and gives them a better understanding of what they actual value in the NET which would be helpful at selection time. Now the only key they give is when they release their top 16 it gives a sneak peak at things to come. Now websites like Warren Nolan have to wait until the ncaa releases the net rankings each day for their own websites to update which frustrates some of those guys a lot

They never will. They wouldn’t have the chance to rig it then.

I don’t trust any business like the NCAA who only wants to use a ranking system they created for the tourney. A ranking system that clearly pushes P5(the money makers) up.

It shouldn’t be a big deal. They used RPI forever and that formula was known by everybody. Knowing just gives people with their own sites time to release their data early and gives them a better understanding of what they actual value in the NET which would be helpful at selection time. Now the only key they give is when they release their top 16 it gives a sneak peak at things to come. Now websites like Warren Nolan have to wait until the ncaa releases the net rankings each day for their own websites to update which frustrates some of those guys a lot

Yep, I am indifferent on it to this point. I feel for the most part the best teams are playing in the big tournament. Last year was more of an outlier than most years and the formula wasn’t crazy off.