Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

1 hour ago, Andowen1990IU said:

I think a game suspension for acting like jackasses at Disney World, not only at the detriment to people just trying to their job but in front of other families and people there to have a good time, is the appropriate punishment. 

What's the appropriate suspension for repeated allegations of sexual assault with standing court mandated restraining orders, and also returning to an assault victim's address to steal cash and weed?

Asking on behalf of Patrick Ewing.

1 hour ago, Andowen1990IU said:

I think a game suspension for acting like jackasses at Disney World, not only at the detriment to people just trying to their job but in front of other families and people there to have a good time, is the appropriate punishment. 

Yea college kids acting like immature college kids is wild. If its the first time, slap on the wrist. It continues, then suspend. Seems more like trying to beat Twitter from going into hysteria(which it still didn't).

3 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Yea college kids acting like immature college kids is wild. If its the first time, slap on the wrist. It continues, then suspend. Seems more like trying to beat Twitter from going into hysteria(which it still didn't).

Holding young men accountable for their actions is a good way to make sure they aren't jackasses when they are older. I figured in today's world where coaches are constantly criticized (for good reason) for letting their players get away with lots of things that this would be looked at positively. This clearly doesn't rise to the level of other things happening right now, but that doesn't mean that it should go without punishment.

For whatever reason you are adverse to it but I think a game suspension for behaving like they did is an appropriate response and sends a message.

12 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

What's the appropriate suspension for repeated allegations of sexual assault with standing court mandated restraining orders, and also returning to an assault victim's address to steal cash and weed?

Asking on behalf of Patrick Ewing.

I would guess more than one game. Maybe two?*

*hopefully it is clear that I am kidding

Holding young men accountable for their actions is a good way to make sure they aren't jackasses when they are older. I figured in today's world where coaches are constantly criticized (for good reason) for letting their players get away with lots of things that this would be looked at positively. This clearly doesn't rise to the level of other things happening right now, but that doesn't mean that it should go without punishment.
For whatever reason you are adverse to it but I think a game suspension for behaving like they did is an appropriate response and sends a message.

Because saying things shouldn’t immediately gain suspension. They may have hurt some feelings but they didn’t actually harm anyone. Have a talking with them and move on.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 minute ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Because saying things shouldn’t immediately gain suspension. They may have hurt some feelings but they didn’t actually harm anyone. Have a talking with them and move on.

So unless someone gets hurt, then people shouldn't be suspended? Based on what? Their actions reflected poorly not only on themselves, but their coach and the university

"Have a talking" has no consequences and to me is soft. In my job (and I imagine most people's jobs), I could get fired for talking to someone like that and if I wasn't, my professional reputation could be tarnished. I think teaching young men that their actions and words have consequences will set them up for future success.

I know some crowds are all about who cares about "feelings" but in the real world, words matter just as much as actions and we are all playing by the same rules. So the coach is having them sit a game to think about what happens when you act like a jerk to other people trying to do their job. I hope they learn from it.

The Georgetown thing is allegedly based on far, far more than an offensive comment at Disney. Repeated sexual assault violations and repeated thefts by a group of players is what the Georgetown boards are alluding to.

Innocent until proven guilty for sure, but parsing appropriate punishment for these players based on limited speculation that it was solely an offensive tweet is very likely not accurate.

An important lesson to learn as an adult is that your words carry weight and cause impact whether or not you're willing or able to understand that. 
Running around a family environment using hate speech and calling people derogatory slurs is not appropriate nor acceptable. Representing your university and team by wearing your university's apparel while saying those things? You've now disrespected those individuals with your words and actions while acting superior to those around you. 
Is this a heinous crime? No. Is it some immature kids acting like assholes and feeling entitled to act that way? Yes. Those attitudes and behaviors are some of the worst character traits one can possess, and a coach or parent would cause greater harm not ensuring a lesson was learned.
1-2 game suspension is absolutely in-line. Granted, I'm someone who would suspend for 10+ games for a DUI, but 3 games for marijuana. The difference for me is the disrespect for others and potential to cause harm to others versus just breaking the rules.

You want to teach them about the real world but use fake terms like hate speech? Would be pretty confusing yea? I don’t think they should have been suspended. Talk to them and if you want to punish them, do it in practice. A good run always teaches a good lesson.

2 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

The Georgetown thing is allegedly based on far, far more than an offensive comment at Disney. Repeated sexual assault violations and repeated thefts by a group of players is what the Georgetown boards are alluding to.

Innocent until proven guilty for sure, but parsing appropriate punishment for these players based on limited speculation that it was solely an offensive tweet is very likely not accurate.

I think the offensive Disney thing was from a Wake Forest player

2 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

You want to teach them about the real world but use fake terms like hate speech? Would be pretty confusing yea? I don’t think they should have been suspended. Talk to them and if you want to punish them, do it in practice. A good run always teaches a good lesson.

What does this even mean? I realize none of this is going to change your mind on this (or apparently anything), but Hate speech is protected under the first amendment. That doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. That is why someone could be punished for calling someone a bigoted slur, but that doesn't mean that the police are going to throw you in jail for it. Which is what happened here.

What does this even mean? I realize none of this is going to change your mind on this (or apparently anything), but Hate speech is protected under the first amendment. That doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. That is why someone could be punished for calling someone a bigoted slur, but that doesn't mean that the police are going to throw you in jail for it. Which is what happened here.

Hate speech isn’t a real thing. It’s just a made up term that people use to describe words they don’t like. It’s not actually a thing. Again, this should have been simple. Talk to them, punish them in practice. This is just Manning saving his butt from Twitter and trying to save the job he barely has.

2 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

Be glad it isnt us and move on. These topics never end well in here.

I always tell people that you aren't going to change anyone's mind over dinner. I imagine that is to the nth degree on IU message boards.

I seemed to have neglected my own mantra and ate the trash.

4 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Hate speech isn’t a real thing. It’s just a made up term that people use to describe words they don’t like. It’s not actually a thing. Again, this should have been simple. Talk to them, punish them in practice. This is just Manning saving his butt from Twitter and trying to save the job he barely has.

Hate speech is a statement intended to demean and brutalize another, or the use of cruel and derogatory language on the basis of real or alleged membership in a social group.[1] Hate speech is speech that attacks a person or a group on the basis of protected attributes such as race, religion, ethnic origin, national origin, sex, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity.[2][3]  

I mean, if definitions, subjects, adjectives, etc aren't real, then I suppose you are correct.  

Hate speech is a statement intended to demean and brutalize another, or the use of cruel and derogatory language on the basis of real or alleged membership in a social group.[1] Hate speech is speech that attacks a person or a group on the basis of protected attributes such as racereligionethnic originnational originsexdisabilitysexual orientation, or gender identity.[2][3]  
I mean, if definitions, subjects, adjectives, etc aren't real, then I suppose you are correct.  

Now why did you go and do that? Here comes the shift .