Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

2 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Oh yay Kenpom.

So 2011 we beat ND while we were ranked #18. ND ended up a 7 seed that year. So not a bad win.
2012 we lost to Butler while we were #1. That Butler team ended up being a 6 seed but a game that never should have been close against a mediocre team. A game like that does nothing but hurt Indiana.
2013 lost to ND. We sucked and they sucked as they finished the season 15-17(6-12) but apparently they were the #36 team in the nation right?
2014 we beat a Butler team that that ended up a 6 seed. So not a bad win but not a win that’s going to rock the world.
2015 we beat ND who ended up being a 6 seed so another Butler situation. Just an good win that doesn’t pop.
2016 lost to the best team we’ve played in the event which was a Butler team that went 25-9 on the year and was a 4 seed.
2017 we beat ND in that awesome finish while they were ranked 18th but they ended going to the NIT so the win didn’t mean much but they were the 27th best team in the nation right?
2018 we beat Butler with another awesome finish but that team ended up being bad and finishing 16-17(7-11) but they were the 20th best team in the nation right?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I will concede that Kenpom isn't the end all-be all in terms of ranking the quality of teams, but neither is team record when other factors aren't considered.  I simply used the easiest ranking system i could find for multiple years to combat a poorly thoughout out arguement that the classic does "nothing" for indiana.  It is consistently one of the better games on our schedule.

Should it be?  Now, THAT is debatable, and I would probably side with you that it SHOULDN"T be one of the better games on the schedule.  i would love for Indiana to schedule, at least, some tougher games.

Yeah those facts sort of get in the way. But I always say it’s a great idea to have a random thought and put it out to the world. Yes do that before educating yourself, because chances are since it popped in your head it is the most glorious right thing ever. Totes

Man, I haven’t heard (read) totes for a hot minute. That made me laugh.

4 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

I love holiday tourneys. But if we are selling recruits on history we have to find a way to make the Kentucky series work. Imo that is what is missing from the schedule. People that complain about the Crossroads Classic just don’t understand we have always played Notre Dame and Butler. Since 1950 we have played Notre Dame 61 times and Butler 29 times, which 10th and 13th in games played against in that time frame. Those games will always be on our schedule. But the Kentucky game really gives us something to point at from a historical perspective. Love them or hate them Kentucky is a big game. I hate them and it’s just an annual thing. We should have that on our schedule. IMO that is Fred Glass biggest fail as AD. He just can’t make it happen.

Would love to see the series start up again. Would also like it to be played on the respective campuses. I thought the offer of rotating home and neutral sites was fair and a good compromise to what Cal wanted. Call me stubborn and/or just plain dumb, but I'm not willing to completely capitulate to Calipari's wishes just because he had a bad experience in Bloomington.

I love holiday tourneys. But if we are selling recruits on history we have to find a way to make the Kentucky series work. Imo that is what is missing from the schedule. People that complain about the Crossroads Classic just don’t understand we have always played Notre Dame and Butler. Since 1950 we have played Notre Dame 61 times and Butler 29 times, which 10th and 13th in games played against in that time frame. Those games will always be on our schedule. But the Kentucky game really gives us something to point at from a historical perspective. Love them or hate them Kentucky is a big game. I hate them and it’s just an annual thing. We should have that on our schedule. IMO that is Fred Glass biggest fail as AD. He just can’t make it happen.

That’s the one game I want to have every single year. I want a mid December, on a Sunday at 3 o’clock on CBS. Because that feels nostalgic for some reason and I don’t really know why. Outside of that I think we can pull off series with other teams(like we did with UofL). I think we could do the UK annual along with 1 more marquee series that happens earlier in the season. Which gives us flexibility for tourneys and maybe just a random game or two against decent to good teams. The big thing with the UK game is where it happens. At this point I don’t care where it is. I see no problem with playing in Indy, Chicago, Memphis, Atlanta, Brooklyn, Dallas, LA or wherever. It doesn’t even matter anymore, it just needs to happen. But now with the Gavitt Games along with the 20 game conf schedule, flexibility is slim to none.

Would love to see the series start up again. Would also like it to be played on the respective campuses. I thought the offer of rotating home and neutral sites was fair and a good compromise to what Cal wanted. Call me stubborn and/or just plain dumb, but I'm not willing to completely capitulate to Calipari's wishes just because he had a bad experience in Bloomington.
I wholeheartedly agree. A home and home with 2 neutral sites is a great compromise.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I will concede that Kenpom isn't the end all-be all in terms of ranking the quality of teams, but neither is team record when other factors aren't considered.  I simply used the easiest ranking system i could find for multiple years to combat a poorly thoughout out arguement that the classic does "nothing" for indiana.  It is consistently one of the better games on our schedule.
Should it be?  Now, THAT is debatable, and I would probably side with you that it SHOULDN"T be one of the better games on the schedule.  i would love for Indiana to schedule, at least, some tougher games.

It shouldn’t be one of our better games. And I don’t think we should play Butler very often. It is only a boost for them to play and possibly beat Indiana and be on top of what is supposed to be the best program in the state. Butler just hasn’t been a win-win for us. ND is debatable. They are good most years but not great but we could replace that game with another marquee matchup on the schedule. It hasn’t helped Indiana in the long run. If you look at it as a whole, what’s it done for Indiana? For the most part all the teams have been somewhat average most years.

2 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

It shouldn’t be one of our better games. And I don’t think we should play Butler very often. It is only a boost for them to play and possibly beat Indiana and be on top of what is supposed to be the best program in the state. Butler just hasn’t been a win-win for us. ND is debatable. They are good most years but not great but we could replace that game with another marquee matchup on the schedule. It hasn’t helped Indiana in the long run. If you look at it as a whole, what’s it done for Indiana? For the most part all the teams have been somewhat average most years.

I do agree that we need another marquee matchup, but I wouldn't take away the classic.  I would take away one of the no-bake cookies we play to start the season.  Let's snag that Arizona-Indiana matchup that was alluded to years ago!

I definitely get that, but that’s what it has been over the years. That’s why we went to the Dome instead of AH. They are currently a better program. We need to beat them to call the shots. I get why others feel the way they do. I just feel this is a game that has to happen no matter what. We have leverage. He wants to play us in Indiana. He just wants it in Indianapolis because of recruiting. I say give it to him. Alternate Yum and BLF or Lucas.

I do agree that we need another marquee matchup, but I wouldn't take away the classic.  I would take away one of the no-bake cookies we play to start the season.  Let's snag that Arizona-Indiana matchup that was alluded to years ago!

Arizona would actually be pretty fun right now with the brothers. A home and home and then a game in Phoenix and a game in Indy. But I’d also like to see games against Oregon, Texas, Florida, Oklahoma, Baylor, LSU. Can we get one with Georgia you think? Would Crean ever want to return to Assembly Hall? Not sure he’d get the warm welcome that Mike Davis got but should get a good applause.

I definitely get that, but that’s what it has been over the years. That’s why we went to the Dome instead of AH. They are currently a better program. We need to beat them to call the shots. I get why others feel the way they do. I just feel this is a game that has to happen no matter what. We have leverage. He wants to play us in Indiana. He just wants it in Indianapolis because of recruiting. I say give it to him. Alternate Yum and BLF or Lucas.

I thought Uof6 wouldn’t allow the game at YUM! and we wouldn’t play at the decaying Freedom Hall.

Best case scenario would be home-home, Lucas, Yum. I could live with home-home, Lucas. I just don’t want all neutral site games. For “events,” I think neutral sites are fun but I don’t want to see a bunch of neutral site noncon games.

Never understood the hype

But but, but....he can dunk! I agree with you. I remember watching a video on YouTube called “Hanner Perea Dunks Everything!” That got me hyped! I was sure we got the next J.R. Reid, Jamal Mashburn, or Vince Carter....ummmmmm, not so much.

1 hour ago, RatpigHoosier said:

But but, but....he can dunk! I agree with you. I remember watching a video on YouTube called “Hanner Perea Dunks Everything!” That got me hyped! I was sure we got the next J.R. Reid, Jamal Mashburn, or Vince Carter....ummmmmm, not so much.

This is what we ended up with.

giphy.gif

42 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

South Dakota St plays Nebraska at 9 if anyone wants to check them out

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

SD St is just okay.

im thinking they’ll stomp Nebraska