Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

Game of the year so far...man this game is fun! Is there a player in the country that’s more fun to watch than Myles Powell??? He is ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Feast week is in a couple weeks. Most underrated week in college basketball. So many good games to look forward to. Powell is stud.

They missed one of Gill when Hall made the layup too. It rotates, so every Big Ten team doesn’t play in the Gavitt Tipoff every season. I like the conference challenges.

Hall got hammered. Can’t believe his shot went in

They missed one of Gill when Hall made the layup too. It rotates, so every Big Ten team doesn’t play in the Gavitt Tipoff every season. I like the conference challenges.

Maybe if the conferences were different every couple years. I don’t think we need to be in two of them. If the B1G did like a 3 year stint with the ACC and then the PAC12 and then the SEC and the Big 12 and then the Big East, I’d be okay with that. The Big East challenge is incredibly blah for the most part because the Big East is only a couple of schools. The ACC Challenge is just boring now. Especially for Indiana.
2018: Played Duke
2017: Duke
2016: UNC
2015: Duke

I’m beyond happy we are playing FSU this year because it’s something different. Same with playing UConn instead of Louisville. Before 2015 it actually changed up a bit.
2014: Pitt
2013: Cuse
2012: UNC
2011: NC State
2010: Boston College
2009: Maryland
2008: Wake
2007: Georgia Tech
Duke yet again...
2006: Duke
2005: Duke

2004: UNC
2003: Wake
2002: Maryland
2001: UNC
2000: DNP
1999: DNP

We aren’t rivals with Duke. It’s boring to play them. Especially since they’ve just whooped us anytime they’ve played us. It would be neat to play Oregon, Arizona, UCLA, Texas, Texas Tech, Kansas, Kansas State, LSU, Florida etc. That change up is nice. But the last few years the schedule had been hella boring. It was basically Duke, Louisville, Butler/Notre Dame. Last year was nice to see Arkansas. This year is really nice because it is Arky, FSU and UConn.

8 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

We aren’t rivals with Duke. It’s boring to play them. Especially since they’ve just whooped us anytime they’ve played us. It would be neat to play Oregon, Arizona, UCLA, Texas, Texas Tech, Kansas, Kansas State, LSU, Florida etc. That change up is nice. But the last few years the schedule had been hella boring. It was basically Duke, Louisville, Butler/Notre Dame. Last year was nice to see Arkansas. This year is really nice because it is Arky, FSU and UConn.

It also doesn't help that we need to have a bunch of home games to bring in some revenue in non-conference. IU hardly ever plays in any of the Thanksgiving tournaments either(Maui once every 5 years or so) which also limits the variety of Power 5 teams that they play. If IU played on the cruise ship tournament or in Vegas when there isn't a Gavitt game the schedule would be more interesting but then the high roller donors would complain of not having enough games at the S.S. Assembly to pump their chests out at.

Disagree. I like the guaranteed ACC games and I’m glad we play Duke and UNC so frequently in it. Some of those UNC wins were my favorite games. We’ll love playing Duke when Archie has his team ready to compete.

53 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Disagree. I like the guaranteed ACC games and I’m glad we play Duke and UNC so frequently in it. Some of those UNC wins were my favorite games. We’ll love playing Duke when Archie has his team ready to compete.

I agree with this.  The B1G/ACC Challenge almost always guarantees us a Quad 1/Quad 2 game, and the Gavitt Games (when we are in them) does so, usually, as well.  Not to make it a scheduling debate, but these two games along with ND/Butler and 1-2 other marquee matchups makes for a good start to the nonconference schedule.

I agree with this.  The B1G/ACC Challenge almost always guarantees us a Quad 1/Quad 2 game, and the Gavitt Games (when we are in them) does so, usually, as well.  Not to make it a scheduling debate, but these two games along with ND/Butler and 1-2 other marquee matchups makes for a good start to the nonconference schedule.

Playing Notre Dame and Butler does nothing for Indiana. It only helps Notre Dame and Butler. Indiana takes a loss in the whole thing. The years we’ve won, it’s ended up being against meh teams. The B1G/ACC Challenge might guarantee us a game but it’s a game we can easily replace and removing it gives us even more flexibility. The Gavitt Games is about the least exciting event we could do. Outside of Fox Sports no one really cares. It would be much better for the B1G to do short stints with multiple conferences but only 1 conference at a time. Which allows the Indiana, MSU, UM, OSU to go out and schedule multiple big games like teams do in football. Because in football teams don’t have that kind of thing holding them back. And teams hands are even more tied now with 20 conference games. Indiana in some years is tied up with Butler/ND, a BE team and an ACC team and then it’s cream puffs because there isn’t any wiggle room. Or we could have a schedule 2 big games and only have 1 predetermined game against a team ACC for 3 years then another team from a conference for 3 years. Obviously playing the PAC or Big 12 some teams would have to sit, but those are years where the team would have the availability for a tournament or another marquee game. We don’t have that now. We have no say in who we play for 2-3 games a year.

you're right, the Crossroads Classic does nothing for us...except:
When it started in 2011, we played ND, who finished 11th in Kenpom (we won)
In 2013 (again ND), they finished 36th in Kenpom (we lost)
In 2015 (ND), they finished 9th in Kenpom (we won)
In 2016 (Butler), they finished 30th in Kenpom (we lost)
In 2017 (ND), they finished 27th (we won)
In 2018 (Butler), they finished 20th ( we won)
The two outliers (2012 and 2014 -- both against butler) are the only time either of those two opponents finished outside of the top 40 in Kenpom, although Butler was ranked #23 when we played them in 2014 -- they faltered down the stretch.
Also, with the exception of those two years mentioned above ('12 and '14), EVERY YEAR Indiana's opponent in the Crossroards Classic has made the NCAA tournament.
Even if you disagree that Kenpom is necessarily the best ranking system in college basketball, to say that "playing Notre Dame or Butler does nothing for Indiana" is seemingly off base, IMHO.

Yeah those facts sort of get in the way. But I always say it’s a great idea to have a random thought and put it out to the world. Yes do that before educating yourself, because chances are since it popped in your head it is the most glorious right thing ever. Totes

The two outliers (2012 and 2014 -- both against butler) are the only time either of those two opponents finished outside of the top 40 in Kenpom, although Butler was ranked #23 when we played them in 2014 -- they faltered down the stretch.
Also, with the exception of those two years mentioned above ('12 and '14), EVERY YEAR Indiana's opponent in the Crossroards Classic has made the NCAA tournament.
Even if you disagree that Kenpom is necessarily the best ranking system in college basketball, to say that "playing Notre Dame or Butler does nothing for Indiana" is seemingly off base, IMHO.

I don’t think the Crossroads Classic, Gavitt Tipoff (every other year), it the Big Ten/ACC Challenge is the issue. It’s other games in the noncon. We need a marquee home-home to alternate with the Big Ten/ACC Challenge. That would guarantee 3 top 50ish noncon opponents every season. One at home, one on the road, and one semi neutral site. The years we don’t play in the Gavitt Tipoff is like to see us schedule a solid high major opponent. This would be a bit difficult because the games would be every other year, for a two game contract it would be three years or five years for three games. It can be done though.

For the remainder of the 7 game noncon schedule, I’d like a few cupcakes to start the season, some decent mid majors, and then a few more cupcakes during the holidays.

Holidays tourneys are great and I’d love for IU to play in them. If we can’t find another series then we should be playing in these every other year.

Cost? I’d really like to do this too. Deciding if I take my family that don’t care or just take the ones who do. Lol

It was $60 per for upper. The code is blfpre if there are any of those left. They didn’t put a ton out today. I would say maybe 500? They had multiple presales going on at the same time. But the prices did go up. I always paid $40 for upper level and like $80 I believe for lower level. I didn’t look for the price of lower to know if it went up to $120 or so.

I don’t think the Crossroads Classic, Gavitt Tipoff (every other year), it the Big Ten/ACC Challenge is the issue. It’s other games in the noncon. We need a marquee home-home to alternate with the Big Ten/ACC Challenge. That would guarantee 3 top 50ish noncon opponents every season. One at home, one on the road, and one semi neutral site. The years we don’t play in the Gavitt Tipoff is like to see us schedule a solid high major opponent. This would be a bit difficult because the games would be every other year, for a two game contract it would be three years or five years for three games. It can be done though.

For the remainder of the 7 game noncon schedule, I’d like a few cupcakes to start the season, some decent mid majors, and then a few more cupcakes during the holidays.

Holidays tourneys are great and I’d love for IU to play in them. If we can’t find another series then we should be playing in these every other year.

I love holiday tourneys. But if we are selling recruits on history we have to find a way to make the Kentucky series work. Imo that is what is missing from the schedule. People that complain about the Crossroads Classic just don’t understand we have always played Notre Dame and Butler. Since 1950 we have played Notre Dame 61 times and Butler 29 times, which 10th and 13th in games played against in that time frame. Those games will always be on our schedule. But the Kentucky game really gives us something to point at from a historical perspective. Love them or hate them Kentucky is a big game. I hate them and it’s just an annual thing. We should have that on our schedule. IMO that is Fred Glass biggest fail as AD. He just can’t make it happen.

Oh yay Kenpom.

So 2011 we beat ND while we were ranked #18. ND ended up a 7 seed that year. So not a bad win.
2012 we lost to Butler while we were #1. That Butler team ended up being a 6 seed but a game that never should have been close against a mediocre team. A game like that does nothing but hurt Indiana.
2013 lost to ND. We sucked and they sucked as they finished the season 15-17(6-12) but apparently they were the #36 team in the nation right?
2014 we beat a Butler team that that ended up a 6 seed. So not a bad win but not a win that’s going to rock the world.
2015 we beat ND who ended up being a 6 seed so another Butler situation. Just an good win that doesn’t pop.
2016 lost to the best team we’ve played in the event which was a Butler team that went 25-9 on the year and was a 4 seed.
2017 we beat ND in that awesome finish while they were ranked 18th but they ended going to the NIT so the win didn’t mean much but they were the 27th best team in the nation right?
2018 we beat Butler with another awesome finish but that team ended up being bad and finishing 16-17(7-11) but they were the 20th best team in the nation right?