Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

They have the notice of violations. With the process of appeals and whatnot it will probably be next summer/early fall before they get their penalties. That’s been what was said on tv a couple of months ago.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Thank you. I just don’t understand how they keep getting recruits to come there? Even if they are still cheating and throwing these kids money, they have to not think that they are going to get in trouble, otherwise they could be playing for a school that is ineligible for post season and maybe the death penalty

1 minute ago, MikeRoberts said:

Thank you. I just don’t understand how they keep getting recruits to come there? Even if they are still cheating and throwing these kids money, they have to not think that they are going to get in trouble, otherwise they could be playing for a school that is ineligible for post season and maybe the death penalty

I'm not positive that some of these kids care if the school becomes ineligible for post-season play or future bans, etc.  They're there expecting to be a OAD and it really won't impact them in any way.  Now, if they themselves are declared ineligible it becomes a whole different ballgame and I wonder if Wiseman doesn't start wondering if he should get a passport.  Although in his specific case, he'll likely still be a high draft pick even if he doesn't play another game for Memphis.

I think for some recruits it’s a combination of getting paid and “sticking it to the man.” These kids don’t really look at it as breaking rules. The NCAA is a dinosaur called corruptasaurus. The kids/handlers are just trying to get theirs.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

10 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

I think for some recruits it’s a combination of getting paid and “sticking it to the man.” These kids don’t really look at it as breaking rules. The NCAA is a dinosaur called corruptasaurus. The kids/handlers are just trying to get theirs.

I think you’re right. I also have no problem hearing a guy like Self selling recruits with a line like, “the system screws you. I believe in taking care of you any  way I can and I won’t apologize for that.” A certain kid/family would eat that up. You know Will Wade is selling it like that.

More on Wiseman and Memphis making the same argument others on here have already raised:  It (NCAA) should consider suspending Memphis coach Anfernee “Penny” Hardaway before it thinks about James Wiseman. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/if-ncaa-has-to-punish-somebody-in-james-wiseman-debacle-blame-penny-hardaway-193536877.html

More on Wiseman and Memphis making the same argument others on here have already raised:  It (NCAA) should consider suspending Memphis coach Anfernee “Penny” Hardaway before it thinks about James Wiseman. 
https://sports.yahoo.com/if-ncaa-has-to-punish-somebody-in-james-wiseman-debacle-blame-penny-hardaway-193536877.html
I will agree that the players get punished far worse than the coaches that are involved. The NCAA needs to get a pair(they won't) and do the same with coaches and Institutions

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

The middle finger NCAA playbook has been bound! UNC, Kansas, LSU, Az, many others. Memphis just opened it and played chapter 1.  Memphis wins here - and got a behind the scenes deal w the NCAA to step down. Wiseman will sit a couple of cupcakes, then ball out. Emmert is nothing if spineless, and certainly  knows when his balls are in a ringer and becomes VERY responsive, very quickly when he needs to. Otherwise it’s stretch things out forever and hope they go away from public memory. Everyone goes back to spreading around lotsa shiny pennies!

Penn St. not looking half bad.

Stevens is having a bad game as well. They had a stretch where they couldn’t break a press. Curtis came in a drained a step back 3 and on the very next play defensively he was lost and akinjo scored

Stevens is having a bad game as well. They had a stretch where they couldn’t break a press. Curtis came in a drained a step back 3 and on the very next play defensively he was lost and akinjo scored

They will be tough inside. Not any big names but they play fundamentally well. I just like watching Akinjo. Kid is entertaining. I like watching ex recruits though.

I do wonder what it would take for Chambers to be fired. It feels like he has been there forever. Can’t really say the program is that much greater since he came.

No Ncaa tournament and he has had some good players go through his program. I posted his B1G record last year. It’s not pretty I believe it was around 30-80