Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

1 hour ago, Uspshoosier said:

For you retired folks that have nothing to do in 20 min. Eastern Michigan is playing on espn3 at 9:45

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Or, those of us whose boss is out of the office for the day :)

Hey USPS, whatever happened to that opening day where it was like 24 hours televised? I miss that. I guess I don’t recall it last year either, but that was a fun thing.

Hey USPS, whatever happened to that opening day where it was like 24 hours televised? I miss that. I guess I don’t recall it last year either, but that was a fun thing.

Espn cancelled it last year after running for 10 years. They said it presenting programming challenges. Yeah it was always a fun way to start off the season.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Back to some good games tonight.

Davidson/Auburn( Davidson has 2 stud guards to keep an eye on)

Illinois/Grand Canyon(Illinois on the road)

Arizona St/Colorado(playing in China)with I’m guessing Walton in the call

Washington/Baylor

Washington/Baylor

Add UNC Greensboro/Kansas

Washington/Baylor

Illinois with a road game in the first 2 weeks? That’s not typical is it usps?

They have 2. They play at Arizona on Sunday. Definitely not typical but some coaches do it. Roy always schedules a road game early. They play at UNC Wilmington tonight I believe

They have 2. They play at Arizona on Sunday. Definitely not typical but some coaches do it. Roy always schedules a road game early. They play at UNC Wilmington tonight I believe

I like the risky nature of that though. I think that team is mentally tough at least, if not so terribly talented. They can handle it though. I think that constant ball pressure would be a real mother to deal with early on. They were a favorite of mine towards the end of last season. Balls to the wall for 40. Could trip someone.

This leads me to part of a response you left me about the IU noncon schedule in the last prediction league thread. I said “How is this ok”. You replied “NCAA valued quantity over quality last year so everybody is scheduling these type of games”. I couldn’t reply because it was locked so I’ll ask here. First, if everyone decided to go with a weaker non con, why did we then decide to go with the weakest of the weak if you will? Second, What if the committee decides to go a different way this year? Wouldn’t having something in the middle be safer?

6 minutes ago, cappymo14 said:

This leads me to part of a response you left me about the IU noncon schedule in the last prediction league thread. I said “How is this ok”. You replied “NCAA valued quantity over quality last year so everybody is scheduling these type of games”. I couldn’t reply because it was locked so I’ll ask here. First, if everyone decided to go with a weaker non con, why did we then decide to go with the weakest of the weak if you will? Second, What if the committee decides to go a different way this year? Wouldn’t having something in the middle be safer?

The games do get harder before Florida State. Louisiana Tech is #91 in KenPom and South Dakota is #124 so it's not all pure cupcakes. Five cupcakes at the start of the season is about right. The rest of the non-conference schedule plus the extra BIG games should provide plenty of SOS.

I think the schedule gets pretty rough after the cupcake so we need all the games we can to get as good as we can before that stretch. It gets tough imo.

Sent from my SM-G960U using BtownBanners mobile app

30 minutes ago, cappymo14 said:

I think we have something in the middle. I looked it up and the SOS is 63rd in the nation. A few schools who are worse.

Oregon St, South Carolina, NC State, Ga Tech, Providence, Arizona, PSU, Missouri, Georgetown, Butler, Pitt, Stanford, UCLA, Oklahoma St, West Virginia, Texas A&M, USC, Alabama, Georgia, UConn, Notre Dame, BC, Illinois (yes, that Illinois who is playing AT Arizona), NW, Miami, Nebraska, Cal, Vandy, and Wake

So we're using Illinois as a team that is playing a tough schedule because they're on the road, yet actually their SOS is worse. 

EDIT: I went to a second website and the ranking were much different. It actually had IU higher at 58, but had Illinois at 57 and Georgia at 56. The first site I used Illinois was terrible. Point still stands though that IU's isn't that bad when we step outside our fandom bubble. 

Ok,Ok, so that makes me feel better. Thing is, I had read something saying we had among the weakest noncon schedules among Power 5 schools. Not sure where. I did some quick half/@$$ research and it lined up. I think you guys may be figuring in overall schedule? Am I looking at this wrong?

I believe they play Arizona also on this trip.
I don't know how many CBB fans are on here from my part of the country, but if you want to watch Illinois, they are broadcasting the game on channel 49 WCIX

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Ok,Ok, so that makes me feel better. Thing is, I had read something saying we had among the weakest noncon schedules among Power 5 schools. Not sure where. I did some quick half/@$$ research and it lined up. I think you guys may be figuring in overall schedule? Am I looking at this wrong?

You saw Norlanders article on CBS sports which he ranked the power 5 teams plus some others in his own ranking system. In that IU was near the bottom. People will have to wait and see how the teams IU are playing do to actually see what their real non conference SOS will actually be. Last year IU non conference sos was 167 and Sos was 58. Playing in the B1G will always results in a respectable Sos. My guess is their non conference sos will be about the same as last year. As far as committee selection they could absolutely change what they feel is more important but usually the committee is consistent through the committee chairs term. With the NET being implemented last year in my opinion they will be consistent with how they used it in the next couple years since it’s their new shiny toy they came up with. Could IU’s non conference be stronger? Probably but the way their overall schedule sets up starting in December IU only plays power 5 teams (I will include UConn in that)