Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

On 10/5/2019 at 9:17 PM, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Of course you respect them. They certainly went big. I think you should change your fandom buddy.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Well, let’s hope Kansas gets hit as hard as U of 6 by the NCAA, although I do respect them for going big at their season opening celebration. IU would never hire a rapper to perform at Hoosier 

Actually there was some rapping going on at Sampson's last event.That worked out rather nicely.

3 weeks from today there will be college basketball games on the TV
2 weeks from today IU be on the TV playing an exhibition game

5 days from now IU will be playing Marquette in a not so secret scrimmage

That is all. Enjoy your Tuesday basketball junkies

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Rejoice!

3 weeks from today there will be college basketball games on the TV
2 weeks from today IU be on the TV playing an exhibition game

5 days from now IU will be playing Marquette in a not so secret scrimmage

That is all. Enjoy your Tuesday basketball junkies

Are we playing Marquette for the rights to Garcia?

https://cleaningtheglass.com/the-midrange-debate/

This is interesting to me. I, for one, am a proponent of shooting the midrange shot when it’s open. 100 years ago I was recruited by Grinnell College in IA. In speaking with Coach Arsenault at the time, he told me unequivocally that he wanted at least 50% of the shots taken to be 3s. I have to admit that as a teenager who could shoot I loved the idea of that. However, like fine gruel my opinions have aged. Now looking back on that conversation I am really turned off by that philosophy as defense wasn’t a real emphasis. I didn’t end up playing there but I loosely followed their program and don’t remember them winning a whole lot in that era. Grinnell is the school that had the guard go for 138 in a game in the last 10 years or so.

This is interesting to me. I, for one, am a proponent of shooting the midrange shot when it’s open. 100 years ago I was recruited by Grinnell College in IA. In speaking with Coach Arsenault at the time, he told me unequivocally that he wanted at least 50% of the shots taken to be 3s. I have to admit that as a teenager who could shoot I loved the idea of that. However, like fine gruel my opinions have aged. Now looking back on that conversation I am really turned off by that philosophy as defense wasn’t a real emphasis. I didn’t end up playing there but I loosely followed their program and don’t remember them winning a whole lot in that era. Grinnell is the school that had the guard go for 138 in a game in the last 10 years or so.

Yep this has been my argument as well. I know what analytics say, but I am having my team take the best available shot 100/100 times.

Yep this has been my argument as well. I know what analytics say, but I am having my team take the best available shot 100/100 times.

Teams now make it to where the game plan is that the 3 is the best shot available.

Teams now make it to where the game plan is that the 3 is the best shot available.

Good shooting teams make it to where the game plan is the 3 pointer is their best available shot.

So much more goes into a game plan then simply saying let’s hunt 3 point shots. Teams game plan is going to depend on each coaches philosophy. Wouldn’t make sense for a team ranked 347th in 3 pt rate to be bombing 3’s are making a game plan that revolves around the 3-pt line. That’s a recipe for disaster. That was the case for Kentucky a couple years ago. As they continued bombing 3’s and losing games it was clear the 3pt line was a weakness. Once they played to their strength, PJ Washington down low and Alexander and Knox driving and slashing they began winning more games.