Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

I am unabashedly a Virginia supporter. Turning into a fan during the tourney since we haven’t made it lately. 

It’ll be interesting to see how they bounce back. Hunter, Guy and Jerome all leaving. Guy and Jerome was arguably the best backcourt in the nation. Jack Salt graduated. Clark, Key and Diakite all return and will likely be their top 3 players. Offensively isn’t a big deal for them because the offense is so slow that having big time scorers like Hunter, Guy and Jerome aren’t needed, but those 3 were the reason they were so good. This will be Bennett’s first at a “reload” as they’ll still be a Top 25 team pretty easily because of their defense.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Trivia time from Nick Baumgart -

Ever wondered what constitutes an "average" 3pt shooter in CBB?  According to KenPom, avg across D1 hoops since '02 has held steady between 34.2-35.1%, only deviating 1x in last 18 yrs (33.9% in '13)  Anything over 35% is "above average," under 34% "below average"

Ever wondered what constitutes an "average" 2pt shooter in CBB?  Over last 18 years, the average in D1 hoops has ranged between 47.5-50.1%.  Anything above 50% is "above average," below 48% "below average"

Ever wondered what constitutes an "average" free throw shooter in CBB?  Over last 18 years, D1 hoops has avg'd between 68.7-71.4% from the free throw line.  Anything above 70% considered an "above average" foul shooter

It’ll be interesting to see how they bounce back. Hunter, Guy and Jerome all leaving. Guy and Jerome was arguably the best backcourt in the nation. Jack Salt graduated. Clark, Key and Diakite all return and will likely be their top 3 players. Offensively isn’t a big deal for them because the offense is so slow that having big time scorers like Hunter, Guy and Jerome aren’t needed, but those 3 were the reason they were so good. This will be Bennett’s first at a “reload” as they’ll still be a Top 25 team pretty easily because of their defense.

Those convos that Virginia will never win a title were fun. Glad we have moved past that.

Those convos that Virginia will never win a title were fun. Glad we have moved past that.

Bennett seemed to have changed his coaching style last year. The same Bo Ryan did when they went to the title game and had Kaminsky and Dekker. When you have offensive talents like the 3 Virginia had, you can’t hold them back. And when it came time in the title game, they put up 85.

Bennett seemed to have changed his coaching style last year. The same Bo Ryan did when they went to the title game and had Kaminsky and Dekker. When you have offensive talents like the 3 Virginia had, you can’t hold them back. And when it came time in the title game, they put up 85.

Still played the slowest pace of any team last year which was your argument Joe as to why Bennett would never win big in the ncaa tournament playing that slow of pace and limited possessions. He did tweak how he ran certain sets but his limited possessions and slow pace never changed

Still played the slowest pace of any team last year which was your argument Joe as to why Bennett would never win big in the ncaa tournament playing that slow of pace and limited possessions. He did tweak how he ran certain sets but his limited possessions and slow pace never changed

He’ll never win again tho

Just if anyone was curious Virginia averaged around 62 possessions during the regular season. During the tournament they actually played at a slower pace of 58 possessions per game. In the championship OT game Virginia scored 85 pts on 70 possessions.

Wisconsin still played incredibly slow but everything went through the two best players and they did more outside of the normal offense. More ISO’s and things. Same with Virginia. He gave more power to his 3 best players and let them take the reigns. I was surprised to see them win, but good for them. There is one that breaks the trend at times. And most tourney games are slower than the regular season.

Wisconsin still played incredibly slow but everything went through the two best players and they did more outside of the normal offense. More ISO’s and things. Same with Virginia. He gave more power to his 3 best players and let them take the reigns. I was surprised to see them win, but good for them. There is one that breaks the trend at times. And most tourney games are slower than the regular season.

He got together with Kirk Penny and came up with what they call the ball-screen continuity offense. “Flow continuity”. They run a ball-screen on one side of the floor with 3 shooters on the other side of the floor. . The actions in the offense, assuming Virginia cannot get a clean look from the initial ball-screen, lead them directly into another ball-screen on the opposite side of the floor. And so on and so forth. They also still used their blocker-mover offense as well. Auburn couldn’t stop it.

33 minutes ago, AKHoosier said:

I hope Kansas gets the book thrown at them and pay dearly.

One of these cheating programs has to get theirs.  Preferably not the Auburn, Oklahoma State, Miami type programs.

Pittsburg State should be scared right now.  That's in Kansas, probably the closest the NCAA will get to KU.

9 minutes ago, LIHoosier said:

UMKC is even closer to Lawrence, they're in deep trouble

True, I was thinking more along universities in Kansas though.  Who knows, the NCAA could hammer both to try and give the appearance of cracking down.

22 hours ago, AKHoosier said:

I hope Kansas gets the book thrown at them and pay dearly.

One of these cheating programs has to get theirs.  Preferably not the Auburn, Oklahoma State, Miami type programs.

Just like after Manning won them a championship?  3 years of probation but didn’t lose their banner. Look out Whichita St.

44 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

#75 Ryan Kalkbrenner a 7' center committed to Creighton.  PUke was recruiting him pretty hard I believe.

Wow.  That is a significant blow to their (PU's) recruiting hopes (at least the message board crowd).  It would seem they are down to only one target that they hoped to land (Dickinson).

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

#75 Ryan Kalkbrenner a 7' center committed to Creighton.  PUke was recruiting him pretty hard I believe.

Illinois was hard on him as well. Saw him once last year. Other than being built like a stick figure, there’s a lot to like with him. Range, aggressive rim protector, can really run. Glad he’s out of the conference.