Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

9 minutes ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

Wow. He was my oldest boy's favorite player when he was 7 yrs old.

https://sports.yahoo.com/mateen-cleaves-video-sexual-assault-michigan-state-032443858.html
After sexual assault acquittal, video emerges of Mateen Cleaves dragging naked woman into motel room

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Does this get Izzo to wear the blue ribbon for another day?  

1 hour ago, jk34 said:

Unbelievable! What a scumbag.

He was cleared of all charges after a two week trial. Izzo thought he was not guilty, and so did a 12 person jury. So much so that they only took 3 hours to deliberate. 

If I was a player I would want a coach who is there to support me during tough times instead of a coach who would just throw me to the wolves, especially if I'm not guilty. 

15 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

He was cleared of all charges after a two week trial. Izzo thought he was not guilty, and so did a 12 person jury. So much so that they only took 3 hours to deliberate. 

If I was a player I would want a coach who is there to support me during tough times instead of a coach who would just throw me to the wolves, especially if I'm not guilty. 

Lol the jury found him not guilty didn’t mean they didn’t know he did it. 

13 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Lol the jury found him not guilty didn’t mean they didn’t know he did it. 

9 of the 12 people on the jury were women. Is there anything that can convince you someone accused of rape didn't do it? Because apparently going through trial and being found not guilty of every charge filed against them isn't enough for you. Not sure what else there is that could be done. 

19 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

9 of the 12 people on the jury were women. Is there anything that can convince you someone accused of rape didn't do it? Because apparently going through trial and being found not guilty of every charge filed against them isn't enough for you. Not sure what else there is that could be done. 

Izzo supported him before he was found not guilty.   And no it’s pretty hard to convince me somebody is innocent when there’s video of it

1 minute ago, Brass Cannon said:

Izzo supported him before he was found innocent. And no it’s pretty hard to convince me somebody is innocent when there’s video of it

That’s where you are conflating the point. 

NO ONE in the history of American jurisprudence has EVER been adjudged “innocent.” And that’s not the operative question regarding Mateen Cleaves.

Our imperfect but excellent system requires proof of guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.

2 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

That’s where you are conflating the point. 

NO ONE in the history of American jurisprudence has EVER been adjudged “innocent.” And that’s not the operative question regarding Mateen Cleaves.

Our imperfect but excellent system requires proof of guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.

No I’m not. He was found not guilty. That doesn’t mean he didn’t do it like hoosierfan is trying to say. 

Edit sorry typo

17 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

The jury DID NOT find that he “didn’t do it.”

They found that there was not sufficient evidence to support proof beyond a reasonable doubt.

6 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Izzo supported him before he was found innocent. And no it’s pretty hard to convince me somebody is innocent when there’s video of it

The video certainly is a very bad look for him. But, the jury heard enough evidence over the course of the trial to outweigh it and find him not guilty. 

Just now, Hoosierfan2017 said:

The video certainly is a very bad look for him. But, the jury heard enough evidence over the course of the trial to outweigh it and find him not guilty. 

Which doesn’t mean he didn’t do it. Just like Morgan Ellison saying he was innocent didn’t make him innocent like you claimed. 

Just now, Brass Cannon said:

Which doesn’t mean he didn’t do it. 

Sure, he might have done it. Only him and the accused truly know. But when someone is found not guilty I feel comfortable enough saying they didn't do it, because otherwise you're in a situation where there's always doubt. It's almost impossible to prove a negative. If I was ever charged and then found not guilty of a crime I wouldn't want people to think "oh well he still might of done it". 

2 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Sure, he might have done it. Only him and the accused truly know. But when someone is found not guilty I feel comfortable enough saying they didn't do it, because otherwise you're in a situation where there's always doubt. It's almost impossible to prove a negative. If I was ever charged and then found not guilty of a crime I wouldn't want people to think "oh well he still might of done it". 

Well if there was video of you doing it I think you would have to understand why people would do it

2 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Well if there was video of you doing it I think you would have to understand why people would do it

There is not a video of him "doing it". The video does not show any rape. If we're going to be precise with the "not guilty" vs. "innocent" then we should be precise here too. 

40 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

There is not a video of him "doing it". The video does not show any rape. If we're going to be precise with the "not guilty" vs. "innocent" then we should be precise here too. 

It may not show actual rape but sure as hell shows a crime. Not to mention an eye witness saying the woman was yelling for help.