Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

Two commits in 24 hours for the Illini!

Underwood also bringing in this guy, for a four year ride:

Jermaine Hamlin
POS C HEIGHT6-9 WEIGHT 240
247Sports Composite® Not ranked
NATL. Rank  Not ranked

Had offers from North Dakota, South Dakota, Purdue-Fort Wayne, and Eastern Illinois 

Two commits in 24 hours for the Illini!
Underwood also bringing in this guy, for a four year ride:
Jermaine Hamlin
POS C HEIGHT6-9 WEIGHT 240
247Sports Composite Not ranked
NATL. Rank  Not ranked
Had offers from North Dakota, South Dakota, Purdue-Fort Wayne, and Eastern Illinois 

I really love Underwood being at Illinois. To his credit he had his kids playing hard down the stretch.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

10 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

I really love Underwood being at Illinois. To his credit he had his kids playing hard down the stretch.

^^No^^

Illinois lost six of their last eight, with the only two wins a pair of five point wins against a Northwestern team that lost 12 of their last 13.

^^No^^
Illinois lost six of their last eight, with the only two wins a pair of five point wins against a Northwestern team that lost 12 of their last 13.

Lol I know but that was something posted more than once when our season was ending.

Illinois 2017/18 season: 14-18

Illinois 2018/19 season: 12-21

They lost a couple of veterans, return basically the same team, and added a raw #46 composite big that was good, but not great in AAU ball. Also added a bunch of other guys that won't see the court. And yet somehow,  many pundits have Illinois as an NCAA tourney and upper half of the B1G team this coming season.

I mean, sure, anything's possible, but what the hell are people thinking?

11 hours ago, Uspshoosier said:

Awesome article, USPS.  So much of last year's issues came down to our inability to make shots.  It's so simple that it's stupid to say.  

I do think there's a lot of data that was left out from that methodology.  How old was the PG on the better teams?  What was the average composite ranking of the starting 5?  Don't kenpom and torvik have a luck component?  How did that compare?  Is the strength of schedule factored in?  

Also, I thought it was going to go into the actual pieces of the team.  Like, playing a small-ball line-up, or playing two bigs.  The value of a senior guard.  The value of having a OAD or two or 3 on a team.  I think there's much more to unpack.  

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

Illinois 2017/18 season: 14-18

Illinois 2018/19 season: 12-21

They lost a couple of veterans, return basically the same team, and added a raw #46 composite big that was good, but not great in AAU ball. Also added a bunch of other guys that won't see the court. And yet somehow,  many pundits have Illinois as an NCAA tourney and upper half of the B1G team this coming season.

I mean, sure, anything's possible, but what the hell are people thinking?

Ayo and Frazier are a really nice back court. Sometimes that's just what gets it done in college ball with serviceable role players. I see Kofi listed as 7' and 290 lbs. That makes Bruno Fernando look undersized. If he can play, lots of BIG teams are in trouble.

It's a stretch listing them as top 25 with all those question marks but it's not a terrible gamble. But they just lost to a Netherlands B team that got trounced by DePaul in the following round so who the heck knows.

13 hours ago, Uspshoosier said:

Did Louisville play the pack line before Chris Mack?  Because this article talks about how well they did with it in year one instead of needing years to institute.  What's the difference from there to here?

14 minutes ago, Josh said:

Did Louisville play the pack line before Chris Mack?  Because this article talks about how well they did with it in year one instead of needing years to institute.  What's the difference from there to here?

No, they did not play packline before Mack. They had a good defense the year before Mack; lots of athleticism and length to run the packline. Mack's defense added to their success.

For Louisville's team defensive efficiency rating:

• Last season (Mack's 1st) they were 61st nationally
  • For the season before Mack, they were 69th nationally

For Indiana's team defensive efficiency rating:

• Last season Indiana was 50th nationally
  • During Archie's first season they were 140th
  • The season before Archie they were 163rd

And, unlike that web arcticle, I pulled the stats straight from the actual source: https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/stat/defensive-efficiency

No, they did not play packline before Mack. They had a good defense the year before Mack; lots of athleticism and length to run the packline. Mack's defense added to their success.
And, unlike that web arcticle, I pulled the stats straight from the actual source: https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/stat/defensive-efficiency

Quit with the facts. It ruins their narrative

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Ayo and Frazier are a really nice back court. Sometimes that's just what gets it done in college ball with serviceable role players. I see Kofi listed as 7' and 290 lbs. That makes Bruno Fernando look undersized. If he can play, lots of BIG teams are in trouble.
It's a stretch listing them as top 25 with all those question marks but it's not a terrible gamble. But they just lost to a Netherlands B team that got trounced by DePaul in the following round so who the heck knows.

That Georgi guy at forward is a nice player that came in unheralded. I like him. I think people are looking at Frazier, an older Ayo, and an Older Georgi, plus Kofi and running with it.

I don’t see it, but that’s a nice starting 4.

5 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

That Georgi guy at forward is a nice player that came in unheralded. I like him. I think people are looking at Frazier, an older Ayo, and an Older Georgi, plus Kofi and running with it.

I don’t see it, but that’s a nice starting 4.

Ayo, Georghi, Frazier - very good to pretty good

Feliz - good enough

Kofi - unproven, but should help

Nichols, Williams - proven to be ... not good

Griffin, Jones - Played very little last year

That's only nine to choose from. Only four of those have had any success in college bball. They aren't all that talented, and they have no depth whatsoever. A pulled hammy for Ayo or Georghi and they are really screwed. A pulled hammy by Georghi or Kofi and they are back to playing Kipper Nichols at the 5 for 15 minutes a game like they had to last year.

They aren't NW or Nebraska bad, but if they are in the top half of the B1G after 12-21 last year, I will gladly eat crow.

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

Thanks.  The article called Louisville's defense #5 in the country last year.  Strange.

3 minutes ago, Josh said:

Thanks.  The article called Louisville's defense #5 in the country last year.  Strange.

I'm looking ...  UL was 79th in opponent's PPG,  28th in opponent FG%, 25th in 2pt FG%...

Just not seeing them fifth in anything defensive.

28 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I'm looking ...  UL was 79th in opponent's PPG,  28th in opponent FG%, 25th in 2pt FG%...

Just not seeing them fifth in anything defensive.

From the article linked previously... I'm not saying I believe it necessarily, just from what it said and why I asked:

The Cardinals, Sperber explained, ranked among the top defenses in college basketball last season (No. 5 overall) because they were so effective at suppressing cutting action. Mack’s version of the pack-line defense is designed to limit cuts and choke off access the lane. In addition to the cutting stat, opponents also posted a low assist-to-field goal ratio; low 2-point percentages; a high post-up quantity; and a low offensive rebounding percentage. Those numbers are all in line with what Sperber thinks of when studying gap (or pack-line) defenses. Add those numbers up and the Cards ranked 24th in the country in defensive efficiency on KenPom.com, “a really good Year 1, for sure,” Sperber said.

Familiar name back in the state of Indiana.

Jon Rothstein @JonRothstein

Evansville's Walter McCarty has hired veteran Bennie Seltzer as an assistant coach, per release. Seltzer was at Washington State last season.

https://www.courierpress.com/story/sports/college/evansville/2019/08/20/evansville-basketball-hires-bennie-seltzer-assistant-coach/2061410001/

36 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Familiar name back in the state of Indiana.

Jon Rothstein @JonRothstein

Evansville's Walter McCarty has hired veteran Bennie Seltzer as an assistant coach, per release. Seltzer was at Washington State last season.

https://www.courierpress.com/story/sports/college/evansville/2019/08/20/evansville-basketball-hires-bennie-seltzer-assistant-coach/2061410001/

I was told the two Butler guys left because Walter was acting a lot like Pitino. I'll just leave it at that