Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

2 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Good point It’s not just the schools that have to be complicit in some of this cheating. The entire conference has to be as well. The Big Ten conference was kept clean(er) by Delaney but also kept it unappealing to players with the way it was officiated. 

Will be interesting to see the changes he implements and whether 5 stars start coming. 

We could see changes start even next year on officiating, have to be a gradual process to let the coaches adjust. 

Based on the outcomes of the fbi investigations - and the limited/no consequences for such obvious worst case scenario scale cheating at the highest levels - it should be open season for cheating go forward!  And, that’s only what we saw from the 2nd, arguably 3rd tier shoe company supported teams/players.  Sadly, it seems the BIG either needs to embrace it, or accept 2nd tier status in the Power 5 in both major sports.  Maybe once In awhile, it will continue to get lucky. 

Opening the game/limiting the no call physicality of the bIG might help too. The 5’ers don’t want slow hard foul no call muscle ball nor to risk their career getting crushed!

21 hours ago, JSHoosier said:

Curtis Jones to Penn State.

The Penn St bball beat writer "gets" Curtis Jones, and he's not especially excited about him. FWIW, the chances of CuJo having a big game against us aren't all that high:

For transfer Curtis Jones, Penn State represents 3rd stop and 4th head coach in his college basketball odyssey
Today 5:15 AM

By David Jones | djones@pennlive.com

Curtis Jones fits the typical profile of the big guard position during Patrick Chambers 8 years at Penn State – long, very athletic, able to defend, but spotty as a shooter. And that’s largely why Jones is now committing to his third Power Five program during his college career: So far, he’s been a shooting guard who can’t shoot. Maybe his third school is a charm. Or his fourth college head coach. That’s what Patrick Chambers will be for Jones.

Jones announced his transfer from Oklahoma State to Penn State on Twitter yesterday. As a senior, he will likely compete for back-up time in the backcourt with rising sophomore Myreon Jones at the 2-guard spot.

Jones’ case is an interesting one. He once played with departing PSU senior Josh Reaves at Paul VI High in Fairfax, Va. and was a sought-after 4-star, top-100 national recruit in the class of 2016. The 6-4 guard was offered a scholarship by many name programs including Maryland, Georgetown, California, Virginia Tech, North Carolina State, Pittsburgh, Missouri and West Virginia. He signed with Indiana. Part of a heralded 2016-17 freshman class with DéRon Davis and Devonte Green under Tom Crean, Jones created a stir by scoring 15 points in 16 minutes in the Hoosiers’ first game that season, a 103-99 overtime win over Kansas in Honolulu. That included a pivotal step-back three and a sealing bust-out dunk in the OT.

Curtis Jones (0) began his college career with a bang at Indiana, scoring 15 points in his first game against Kansas in Hawai`i. But his playing time gradually dropped during two seasons, bisected by the firing of Tom Crean and hiring of Arch Miller. But that was pretty much his high-water mark with IU. Jones’ playing time diminished as he struggled with his shot (.352 FG%). The Hoosiers took a little longer to go in the tank but eventually got Crean fired with a 4-10 finish after starting 14-6.And when Archie Miller replaced Crean as coach, Jones took a semi-permanent seat on the bench in 2017-18. He played in only 7 games.

That precipitated a move to Oklahoma State where Mike Boynton had recently replaced Brad Underwood who’d moved to Illinois after a single season. The Cowboys were pretty much a mess all last year (12-20, 5-14 Big 12) under Boynton. Injuries hit, followed by 4 player explusions in January stemming from a mindless air rifle vandalizing spree that caused thousands of dollars in damage to cars and property. Jones playing time benefitted, but he was beaten out for the starting shooting guard spot by a skinny Floridian driveway shooter named Thomas Dziagwa. Jones got a late start, only gaining eligibility because of his transfer in the second semester, and ended up coming off the bench for substantial minutes. He still couldn’t find any consistency with his perimeter shot (38-117, .325 3P%). And Boynton landed a top-20 recruiting class for 2019-20, likely meaning Jones again would’ve had trouble seeing the floor.

Jones gets high marks from Okie State contacts for being a solid citizen, well-liked by teammates and program personnel. Further, he commonly plays under control. He led the Big 12 in low turnover rate in conference games (although, some of that can be attributed to his low rate of handling the ball). He also was 7th-ranked in lowest rate of fouls committed in the league. But Jones will likely gain or lose playing time at PSU next season based on whether he can find his perimeter shot. Nothing looks askew about his mechanics; they just haven’t gone in often enough. If he can turn that around, he has the athletic gifts to be a very meaningful contributor.

According to Oklahoma State sources, there’s also the question of whether Jones will be granted grad-transfer status with an outstanding number of credits still to complete that may or may not be obtainable in the summer semester at PSU. If not, he’ll be eligible only in the second semester as he was last season, essentially the bulk of Big Ten play.In that respect, it was somewhat of a surprise to those at Oklahoma State that he didn’t decide to play pro ball overseas or transfer to a Division II school where he could certainly be immediately eligible.

30 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

According to Oklahoma State sources, there’s also the question of whether Jones will be granted grad-transfer status with an outstanding number of credits still to complete that may or may not be obtainable in the summer semester at PSU. If not, he’ll be eligible only in the second semester as he was last season, essentially the bulk of Big Ten play.In that respect, it was somewhat of a surprise to those at Oklahoma State that he didn’t decide to play pro ball overseas or transfer to a Division II school where he could certainly be immediately eligible.

This whole thing is a bit of a head-scratcher, but especially when you add in that little nugget.

Jon Rothstein - Arizona commit Terry Armstrong is bypassing college to play professionally in the G League or overseas. Top-50 player in the 2019 class.

You truly feel for the kids with some of the advice they are going to be getting now that a few kids have went overseas and a few have played in the G League.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

IU vs Duke from this year is on ESPNU right now if anyone wants to relive that great game

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

This is about the 20th time that game has been on ESPN. In a few hours they’ll replay Dook vs east west state school of the blind with Dookie V sucking coach K off afterwards.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

NCAA has given Kevin Ollie a three-year show-cause, put UConn on two years of probation, forced a vacation of records, taken a scholarship away from 2019-20, and put recruiting restrictions into effect (some self-imposed by UConn).

Before anyone gets knotted up about some pie in the sky program death penalty wishes, for a internal industry regulatory organization, those are some solid penalties.

Who's next?

NCAA has given Kevin Ollie a three-year show-cause, put UConn on two years of probation, forced a vacation of records, taken a scholarship away from 2019-20, and put recruiting restrictions into effect (some self-imposed by UConn).

Is Kevin Ollie the worst coach in any sport to ever win a title? He was cheating and still had those results?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Before anyone gets knotted up about some pie in the sky program death penalty wishes, for a internal industry regulatory organization, those are some solid penalties.
Who's next?

Did I read correctly, that it was because he was in charge of the program? If so, all those HCs involved in the FBI scandal should get just/cause also. Will they?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Just now, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

Did I read correctly, that it was because he was in charge of the program? If so, all those HCs involved in the FBI scandal should get just/cause also. Will they?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

No. They will not. 

Even in an equitable world, every situation is different.

Opening Week of college hoops in 19-20:
11/5: Champions Classic,
Louisville at Miami.
11/6: ND at UNC, UVA at Syracuse, FSU at Pitt.
11/8: Baylor/UW (Alaska), Auburn/Davidson (Annapolis), ASU/Colorado (China).
11/9: Texas at Purdue.
11/10: Illinois at Arizona, FSU at Florida.

1 hour ago, Uspshoosier said:

Opening Week of college hoops in 19-20:
11/5: Champions Classic,
Louisville at Miami.
11/6: ND at UNC, UVA at Syracuse, FSU at Pitt.
11/8: Baylor/UW (Alaska), Auburn/Davidson (Annapolis), ASU/Colorado (China).
11/9: Texas at Purdue.
11/10: Illinois at Arizona, FSU at Florida.

I know I should cheer for the B1G in OOC games to help our SOS, but I wouldn't be sad to see the Longhorns and Wildcats start Purdue and Illinois off with an L.