Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

50 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Well neither of them did all that hot in year two, and I haven't seen their (or Archie's) year three result yet.

Mack just starting year two and has one of the top recruiting classes coming in.

1 minute ago, Str8Hoosiers said:

Louisville

Preseason Ranked as high as 16th (https://bigredlouie.com/2018/05/10/nbc-sports-has-louisville-basketball-ranked-16th-in-early-2018-19-top-25/)

But per ESPN Unranked (#39 in the others getting votes)

End of Season UNRanked (#32 in the others getting votes)

Ohio State

Preseason Unranked (no Votes)

End of Season Unranked. (No Votes)

So both teams made the tournament. Neither did well, and could argue neither deserved to be there. Neither Surpassed expectations, I guess you could say they lived up to them.... but by that logic so did IU (expectations were unranked, and end of season was unranked).

I truly believe you all can only see this through glasses of exhaustion of fandom for our program... it sucks to lose, it sucks to not be in the tournament, it sucks to miss on a few recruits.. I get it... but to ready write off Archie as worse than Holtmann or Mack is premature... The conversation has been repeated ad-naseum but we were in a much worse position starting off with Archie than either Mack or Holtmann entered into. I don't care if it is year 1, 2, or 3... I am not making excuses for the program being down but I am not putting all that on Archie either.

This Year:

Preseason Ranks

Louisville = #5

Ohio State = #24

Indiana = Unranked

So if we end up improving more than them this year does that mean they failed and their coaches are worse than Archie?

Look we can play the what if game all people want.  “What if Archie wins it all next year derp. “

At the end of the day making the tournament is the baseline for an acceptable bad year by most canvases that pay their coach 3 million a year. “We had a bad year but at least we made the tourney” Archie has yet to do that. And now goes into year 3 with a very unbalanced roster even if Devonte is able to be a consistent contributor and that’s a big if. 

Obviously if year 3 goes better I’ll admit I was wrong. But you know what. I started to have concerns about Crean after year 2 and everybody told me I was wrong and wasn’t a real fan and I got told that pretty consistently for 6 years by at least half the fan base  

Ignoring the bad things in the hopes that the good possibilities happen is just wishful thinking. 

And from personal experience people who refuse to change and don’t hold people accountable don’t succeed regardless of their role. 

41 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Guys, what difference does all this really make?  Archie's our coach - you like it; you don't like it.  Holtman had a better year 2; so what.  Holtman isn't coaching IU.  Archie had a better year than Bryce Drew; so what.  Believe me, I'm not happy with how last year played out but arguing about who had a better year 2 just seems so meaningless and pointless.  I'm pretty confident I know where btb members stand on the whole Archie issue simply from the passage of time and following btb pretty closely and that's perfectly OK.  I really do try to respect the differing opinions.  But damn, this horse is dead and you still want to keep kicking it.   

It really doesn't and I'm a huge Archie fan. I just think he needs time. Adjustments to recruiting and coaching philosophy in the B10 alot different than at Dayton. I think he should get a full recruiting cycle.

48 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Look we can play the what if game all people want.  “What if Archie wins it all next year derp. “

At the end of the day making the tournament is the baseline for an acceptable bad year by most canvases that pay their coach 3 million a year. “We had a bad year but at least we made the tourney” Archie has yet to do that. And now goes into year 3 with a very unbalanced roster even if Devonte is able to be a consistent contributor and that’s a big if. 

Obviously if year 3 goes better I’ll admit I was wrong. But you know what. I started to have concerns about Crean after year 2 and everybody told me I was wrong and wasn’t a real fan and I got told that pretty consistently for 6 years by at least half the fan base  

Ignoring the bad things in the hopes that the good possibilities happen is just wishful thinking. 

And from personal experience people who refuse to change and don’t hold people accountable don’t succeed regardless of their role. 

I am not even playing the what if game, I am saying those other coaches didn't do some great things and surpass all their expectations... they both barely met their expectations by your standards because they made the tourney... we met our expectations too because we weren't expected to make the tourney and we didn't... we almost surpassed like Mack & Holtman did....

Anybody can have concerns, but the factually stating that we messed up by hiring Archie instead of Holtman or Mack is the WHAT IF game you mentioned... what if we hired one of them and they did what Archie did here and Archie went to OSU and did what they did... would we be saying Holtman can't coach and we messed up by not hiring Archie?

Things do need to change and we need to regain our spot in the national rankings/perceptions... but who says nothing is changing. Changes have been made... multiple players are no longer with this team, a couple of which are at least rumored to be part of the problem we obviously had with both team chemisty and shooting woes... we brought in another McD's guy, a gut with a lot of D1 experience, and another guard.... add that to whatever changes are being made by the guys who stayed and we can play the what if game all day....

Or we could have another terrible season and Archie could have everybody turn on him, Glass could get canned, new AD could go a new route... those are all What Ifs....

19 hours ago, Str8Hoosiers said:

I am not even playing the what if game, I am saying those other coaches didn't do some great things and surpass all their expectations... they both barely met their expectations by your standards because they made the tourney... we met our expectations too because we weren't expected to make the tourney and we didn't... we almost surpassed like Mack & Holtman did....

Anybody can have concerns, but the factually stating that we messed up by hiring Archie instead of Holtman or Mack is the WHAT IF game you mentioned... what if we hired one of them and they did what Archie did here and Archie went to OSU and did what they did... would we be saying Holtman can't coach and we messed up by not hiring Archie?

Things do need to change and we need to regain our spot in the national rankings/perceptions... but who says nothing is changing. Changes have been made... multiple players are no longer with this team, a couple of which are at least rumored to be part of the problem we obviously had with both team chemisty and shooting woes... we brought in another McD's guy, a gut with a lot of D1 experience, and another guard.... add that to whatever changes are being made by the guys who stayed and we can play the what if game all day....

Or we could have another terrible season and Archie could have everybody turn on him, Glass could get canned, new AD could go a new route... those are all What Ifs....

We weren't expected to make the tournament? What fresh nonsense is this? We were picked third in the Big Ten preseason media poll. Both the AP preason poll and the preseason KenPom rankings had us at 28 nationally. National writers like Rob Dauster, Gary Parrish and Andy Katz all had us ranked in the 20's of their preseason rankings. Those are all the marks of a tournament worthy team, and one that would be favored to win a game. We finished the year at 52 in KenPom, and stopped receiving AP votes in January.

1 minute ago, Maedhros said:

We weren't expected to make the tournament? What fresh nonsense is this? We were picked third in the Big Ten preseason media poll. Both the AP preason poll and the preseason KenPom rankings had us at 28 nationally. National writers like Rob Dauster, Gary Parrish and Andy Katz all had us ranked in the 20's of their preseason rankings. Those are all the marks of a tournament worthy team, and one that would be favored to win a game. We finished the year at 52 in KenPom, and stopped receiving AP votes in January.

+1 - We were expected to make the tournament last year.

My expectation is that we should make it this year. Less than that will not be okay.

+1 - We were expected to make the tournament last year.
My expectation is that we should make it this year. Less than that will not be okay.

I am not trying to speak for Stu on this at all. But I 100% agree with him. I think the disconnect is when Stu puts it like this there are some that feel posts like this are absolving Archie or the team of fault. It’s not that way at all. This team and program is where it is. This year is the year coaches would normally begin doing extension negotiations. If Archie doesn’t win this year and do something to deserve a contract extension recruiting in the future will become even more difficult and ultimately make his job damn near impossible.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

So we see revisionism strikes both sides of the Archie debate?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

So we see revisionism strikes both sides of the Archie debate?

Yep and regardless of preseason expectations we were 12-2 then proceeded to go 5-13 and crap the bed in the BTT 

3 hours ago, Maedhros said:

We weren't ranked preseason... we had votes in the others receiving so we can say we were 28th... at the end of the season we weren't ranked and had no votes, 36 teams had votes so at best we were #37.

Maybe it is revisionist but I definitely never remember us being picked 3rd in the Big Ten... 5 Big Ten teams were ranked in the preseason and we weren't but we were projected to be better than at least 2 of them?

So a few people thought we were tournament worthy preseason but not the majority or we wouldn't have been unranked.

In my opinion we ALWAYS should expect to make the tournament, and because of that I believe we missed expectations... however I don't believe Mack or Holtman had these wonderful seasons full of blowing out their expectations and don't think we "missed" by not hiring one of them.

We got off to a hot start in the season and many people CHANGED their expectations and then believed we failed by not making the tournament even though we weren't in good shape to do so beforehand. 

2 minutes ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

And lots of injuries

Eh we were successful without Hunter and Race so cant really pump those guys in. So we had a few key injuries. One of the reasons you should have more than one ball handler on roster a situation we really didn’t rectify. 

Eh we were successful without Hunter and Race so cant really pump those guys in. So we had a few key injuries. One of the reasons you should have more than one ball handler on roster a situation we really didn’t rectify. 

Guessing we still see a lot of Green and Al as the secondary option. I imagine RP is going to pull 25-28 mpg. I too prefer another true ball handler amongst other things.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app