Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

On 5/26/2019 at 10:32 AM, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Sam Hauser to Virginia

Joey Hauser to Michigan State

I haven’t seen big guys verify this, but it sounds like it’s legit.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I’ll believe that when I see it. That’d be surprising to say the least

16 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

R. J. Hampton signs with a New Zealand pro team and won't attend college.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/five-star-rj-hampton-explains-his-shocking-decision

I’m deeply envious of this kid. Playing ball for money and living in New Zealand for a year would be above average. However, in an ESPN interview he tried to compare the training and competition he’s going to get with what Luka Doncic got in Spain. Yeah, no. 

7 hours ago, Demo said:

I’m deeply envious of this kid. Playing ball for money and living in New Zealand for a year would be above average. However, in an ESPN interview he tried to compare the training and competition he’s going to get with what Luka Doncic got in Spain. Yeah, no. 

I'd still rather play college ball if I was an elite recruit, though. 

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I'd still rather play college ball if I was an elite recruit, though. 

On the other end, you can create yourself a grainy highlight video playing pro-ish ball, have Fran Fraschilla gush about you and still safely be a 1st round pick without that pesky pretending to attend classes for 3-4 months. If you're top 5 material though, college is probably better for the 'brand'.

The New Zealand team is part of the Australian National Competition, the NBL. The league has a "Next Stars" development system in place for players that will be eligible to declare for the NBA Draft. The NBL contracts the players, not the individual team, so teams are not paying for the players out of there own pockets. This is a direct push by the league to gain bigger notoriety and reputation. 

It is also easier for the young players to come to Australia/New Zealand because there is no language barriers and the cultures are somewhat similar to the US. The NBL in the last few seasons has taken big steps forward and is a very solid competition now.

This is a smart decision by the kid imo and I think this could start a trend of other top players skipping college.

41 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

While the paycheck is certainly nice, being a college basketball coach sounds awful. 

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

While the paycheck is certainly nice, being a college basketball coach sounds awful. 

Yup. 5 years ago you knew who was on your team for next year by the end of the spring semester. Now you don't 100% know until the fall. I don't like it. I hope all parties can work together for something that benefits everyone. 

With early entry and transfer decisions almost complete, let's take a look at how our next year conference opponents survived the trauma and drama, done in terms of how many times we play them next season:

IUBB: One early entry (Romeo), Clifton & Jake transfer = we done pretty good.

• Home only:  Michigan State (Ward) = very good, Iowa (Cook, Bohannon, Moss, Dailey) = badly diminished, Northwestern; no one left - the bad get worse
  • Away only:  Michigan (Poole, Iggy, Matthews, Belein, Jalen Wilson) = still good, but big losses, Rutgers (Omoruyi) = Just one loss, but a big one, Illinois (None of note) = awesome for them
  • Home and Away:  Purdue (Edwards only) = excellent, Penn State (Bolton is a big loss, still maybe Stevens) = train wreck, Ohio State, (no one of consequence) Wisconsin (no big transfer losses) = good, Maryland (Fernando) = not too shabby for them , Minnesota ( I Washington, maybe Coffey) reasonable, and Nebraska = entire rotation from last year gone without exception. Oh boy.

By the way, if we sweep Nebraska and Penn State, beat NW at home, and go 6-9 for the rest of our schedule, we're looking at a pretty reasonable minimum conference record. 

Ohio State, Michigan state will be the best teams imo.

Illinois I think will be surprisingly good. Dosunmu and Cockburn with the foreign guy will be a good trio.

Minnesota will be good/great if Coffey returns.

Purdue will be interesting. No phenomenal pieces. Who picks up Carsen Edwards scoring. Lately it seems Painter figures it out. They will be interesting for certain.

Indiana ???? I don’t know what to expect. We lose 2 huge pieces but then chemistry could be better.

15 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Illinois I think will be surprisingly good. Dosunmu and Cockburn with the foreign guy will be a good trio.

Purdue will be interesting. No phenomenal pieces. Who picks up Carsen Edwards scoring. Lately it seems Painter figures it out. They will be interesting for certain.

Indiana ???? I don’t know what to expect. We lose 2 huge pieces but then chemistry could be better.

Are you not considering graduated players in you list? Reason I ask is because Purdue loses Ryan Cline also. Guess it doesn't matter though, they lost 4 out of 5 starters last year and got better.

14 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

We lose 2 pieces but finally have a legit big rotation. We could conceivably have the tallest guy on the court at some point this season. 

To me this season hinges on our guards development. Fingers crossed

We lose 2 pieces but finally have a legit big rotation. We could conceivably have the tallest guy on the court at some point this season. 

To me this season hinges on our guards development. Fingers crossed

And staying healthy. I still believe the RP concussion is the injury that hurt us the most.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

And staying healthy. I still believe the RP concussion is the injury that hurt us the most.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Problem is going into to year 3 we are still a RP injury away from being a mess. That’s not a good place to be