Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

Bravo NCAA, bravo. He’s certainly still an amateur.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I'm actually glad he's eligible. Seemed like he got screwed and that his guardian was really the one caught up in the shady stuff. I don't like the idea of ruining a kid's life when he seems like a pawn. That said, the fact that KU is not suffering any penalties is pathetic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, Free Jurkin! said:

I'm actually glad he's eligible. Seemed like he got screwed and that his guardian was really the one caught up in the shady stuff. I don't like the idea of ruining a kid's life when he seems like a pawn. That said, the fact that KU is not suffering any penalties is pathetic

Yes not being allowed to play college ball is ruining his life. Brian Bowen may never pick up a basketball again after being deprived of that opportunity. 

Play by the rules or face the consequences. I hate to go outside of basketball, but in general, that is the errors I see us as a society making. We are soft. We give 3rd and 4th chances. Leniency in my opinion allows for more mistakes to be made to begin with.

IDK. As a parent, I’m very strict, and my kids learn to know I’m going to punish them hard and not give in. Not surprising they follow the rules.

I see other parents, parent in a lenient fashion and they get taken advantage of.

I think the same principles to rules and enforcement work in all endeavors.

That all being said, I do realize this is a foreign kid with a leach handler and things may be a little different. I still say bring the hammer down and make a statement. Others would learn to follow the rules as a consequence.

Yes not being allowed to play college ball is ruining his life. Brian Bowen may never pick up a basketball again after being deprived of that opportunity. 

Brian Bowen's career is completely off track because of his dad. It seems like the offending parties were Louisville, Adidas, and Bowen's dad. Those 3 got off with a slap on the wrist. Bowen Jr. Is bearing the responsibility for something it seems like he was not really involved in. Meanwhile Kenny Johnson is an in-demand assistant again.

He may make the NBA, and I hope he does for his sake. But not being able to play college basketball has clearly made his life significantly worse.

I'm all for punishments being levied, but they keep being levied against the people with the least power (at least with Bowen Pitino got fired, but I doubt he would have if it hadn't been the second scandal). Until they actually stop picking on kids and going after the power brokers who are the true offending parties, this is just stupid

Play by the rules or face the consequences. I hate to go outside of basketball, but in general, that is the errors I see us as a society making. We are soft. We give 3rd and 4th chances. Leniency in my opinion allows for more mistakes to be made to begin with.

IDK. As a parent, I’m very strict, and my kids learn to know I’m going to punish them hard and not give in. Not surprising they follow the rules.

I see other parents, parent in a lenient fashion and they get taken advantage of.

I think the same principles to rules and enforcement work in all endeavors.

That all being said, I do realize this is a foreign kid with a leach handler and things may be a little different. I still say bring the hammer down and make a statement. Others would learn to follow the rules as a consequence.

I'm all for dropping the hammer, but drop it on somebody who is actually guilty. Drop it on Kansas. De Sousa was a pawn. De Sousa being involved in this has nothing to do with whether his parents taught him discipline. He's a foreign kid who got taken advantage of. Further punishment is cruel. Mike DeCourcey said he should have been immediately eligible anywhere besides Kansas, which I think would have been a good solution.

On 5/21/2019 at 8:55 AM, HoosierFan1994 said:

I'd vote Crean. Davis had one good year. Crean had three. 

Davis got to the Finals with inferior talent (compared to Crean). Crean had superior talent (2 of top 4 lottery picks) and burned out at the Sweet 16.

Davis > Crean

4 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

Davis got to the Finals with inferior talent (compared to Crean). Crean had superior talent (2 of top 4 lottery picks) and burned out at the Sweet 16.

Davis > Crean

Not to mention Davis had 4 fewer years to attempt to have good years. 

8 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

Davis > Crean

Everyone here knows my opinion on Crean, but even I'd take him over Davis.

Everyone here knows my opinion on Crean, but even I'd take him over Davis.

There's a reason Crean quickly got another Power 5 job and Davis is at Detroit Mercy. Crean had his issues, but he's much better than Davis.

27 minutes ago, Free Jurkin! said:

There's a reason Crean quickly got another Power 5 job and Davis is at Detroit Mercy. Crean had his issues, but he's much better than Davis.

Yep. Crean better than Mark Few by this logic 

Unfortunately, Curtis Jones is the one of the better graduate transfer still available. If he hadn't already played and transferred from IU, the coaching staff would probably be interested in him.

Yep. Crean better than Mark Few by this logic 

Way to completely miss the point. Crean is coaching at a basketball school and brought in an elite recruiting class. Davis has not been in demand since he left Indiana for a reason. He seems like a great guy, but he's lacking as a coach.

Few is at a "mid-major" by choice. Power 5 schools obviously want him. Davis isn't beating back offers from Power 5s

Lol at Georgia being a basketball school 

Yeah that was poorly said. Georgia is obviously a football school. What I meant was that it's a school that takes basketball seriously and has a chance to be good, as evidenced by Crean's first class, unlike Detroit Mercy. The fact that it's a football school doesn't preclude it from also taking basketball seriously, like Ohio State, Florida, Florida State, etc. It's not on par with those schools from a historical standpoint but is from a resource standpoint. The difference in quality between Georgia and Detroit Mercy is enormous. You're arguing semantics because the overall point is so obvious

5 hours ago, Honkyman said:

Unfortunately, Curtis Jones is the one of the better graduate transfer still available. If he hadn't already played and transferred from IU, the coaching staff would probably be interested in him.

Not sure why they would.  He really didn't show anything at Oklahoma State that we hadn't already seen from him.

Maybe he'll be able to find a school where the three point line is only sixteen feet from the basket and transfer there.  

20 hours ago, Free Jurkin! said:

Yeah that was poorly said. Georgia is obviously a football school. What I meant was that it's a school that takes basketball seriously and has a chance to be good, as evidenced by Crean's first class, unlike Detroit Mercy. The fact that it's a football school doesn't preclude it from also taking basketball seriously, like Ohio State, Florida, Florida State, etc. It's not on par with those schools from a historical standpoint but is from a resource standpoint. The difference in quality between Georgia and Detroit Mercy is enormous. You're arguing semantics because the overall point is so obvious

I’m not arguing semantics I’m pointing out you have to make up crap to try and prove. 

Just because a coach is at a mid major doesn’t mean they are inferior. 

Stevens was at Butler when they were in the Horizon league IIRC. Guess Crean was better than him too. 

And no Georgia isn’t somehow a legit job because “they take it serious now”. Heard the same BS about Alabama and Mississippi state with the coaches they fired. 

Detroit Mercy and Georgia have made the tourney 6 vs 10 times. The gap in prestige is certainly not that large. 

Not to mention Davis has his career trending up. Crean does not. 

Davis at his last stop built a consistent winner and Detroit Mercy hired him hoping he could do that for him. Where as Crean is exactly where a lot of people on this board said he should be. A lower end SEC school where they are happy with a tourney run every couple of seasons.  

I’m not arguing semantics I’m pointing out you have to make up crap to try and prove. 
Just because a coach is at a mid major doesn’t mean they are inferior. 
Stevens was at Butler when they were in the Horizon league IIRC. Guess Crean was better than him too. 
And no Georgia isn’t somehow a legit job because “they take it serious now”. Heard the same BS about Alabama and Mississippi state with the coaches they fired. 
Detroit Mercy and Georgia have made the tourney 6 vs 10 times. The gap in prestige is certainly not that large. 
Not to mention Davis has his career trending up. Crean does not. 
Davis at his last stop built a consistent winner and Detroit Mercy hired him hoping he could do that for him. Where as Crean is exactly where a lot of people on this board said he should be. A lower end SEC school where they are happy with a tourney run every couple of seasons.  

Agreed that just because a coach is starting mid-major does not mean that they're inferior. Most top coaches were mid-major coaches at one point. But the elite guys that stay at that level, like Few, Stevens, and Marshall, are/were mid-major coaches by choice, turning down top level jobs. That's not the case with Davis. Teams with big budgets and great facilities aren't interested in him.

The idea that Davis's career has a better trajectory than Crean's is crazy. Davis is doing a good job at a small school. Crean just brought in a top 10 recruiting class and the #1 recruit. Who knows if he will be able to maintain the success as inconsistency was always the problem at IU, but his ceiling is much higher.

I hope both guys do well. They unfortunately couldn't cut it at IU, but they seem like good guys

3 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Sam Hauser to Virginia

Joey Hauser to Michigan State

I haven’t seen big guys verify this, but it sounds like it’s legit.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Wow, didn't expect them to split up! Glad they both aren't in the B1G and that it wasn't Wisconsin.