Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

24 minutes ago, Str8Hoosiers said:

Not many guys who play at that level can say they have had 5 coaches in 5 years.... Would not be a fit for IU but I am curious how he will do being that he was so highly ranked... Could end up going overseas instead of transferring.

If he chooses to transfer, during his first on-campus visit to a prospective suitor, he will say "OK, the gym is nice. The facilities are nice. The locker room i nice. The campus is nice. ... Isn't it about time to bring the hookers and strippers?"

21 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

Seventh Woods is transferring from UNC.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I remember watching his mixtape when he was 14. It was unreal and then I never heard about him again until now. 

The NCAA Men’s Basketball Rules Committee on Friday proposed moving the 3-point line to the international basketball distance of 22 feet, 1¾ inches.

If the recommendation is approved by the Playing Rules Oversight Panel on June 5, the rule would be effective for the 2019-20 season in Division I. Due to the potential financial impact, the new 3-point line would go into effect for the 2020-21 season in Divisions II and III.

Committee members proposed the rules change after receiving positive feedback from the annual rules survey and from coaches whose teams competed in the 2018 and 2019 National Invitation Tournament, where the international 3-point distance was used on an experimental basis.

The committee cited the following rationale for extending the line:

• Making the lane more available for dribble/drive plays from the perimeter.
  • Slowing the trend of the 3-point shot becoming too prevalent in men’s college basketball by making the shot a bit more challenging, while at the same time keeping the shot an integral part of the game.
  • Assisting in offensive spacing by requiring the defense to cover more of the court.

“After gathering information over the last two seasons, we feel it’s time to make the change,” said Tad Boyle, committee chair and coach at  Colorado. “Freedom of movement in the game remains important, and we feel this will open up the game. We believe this will remove some of the congestion on the way to the basket.”

Teams in the 2019 NIT averaged 23.1 field goal attempts in the tournament from behind the arc, compared with 22.8 3-point attempts in the 2018-19 regular season. The 3-point shooting percentage of teams in the 2019 NIT was 33%, compared with their regular season average of 35.2%.

When the line was moved before the 2008-09 season, the distance went from 19 feet, 9 inches to 20 feet, 9 inches. The percentage of 3-point shots made during that season compared with the previous season declined from 35.2% to 34.4%. The percentage of made 3-point field goals steadily increased back to 35.2% in Division I by the 2017-18 season.

Shot clock reset

The committee also recommended resetting the shot clock at 20 seconds after a field goal attempt hits the rim and the offensive team rebounds the ball in the front court.

The proposal was made to enhance the pace of the game. The committee decided a full 30-second shot clock is not needed because the offensive team is already in the front court after securing the rebound.

This was an experimental rule in the 2019 NIT, as well.

Other proposals

• The committee recommended players be assessed a Flagrant 2 technical foul and ejected should they use derogatory language about an opponent’s race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation or disability.
  • The committee recommended allowing coaches to call live-ball timeouts in the last two-minutes of the second half and the last two minutes of any overtime periods. Currently, coaches aren’t allowed to call any live-ball timeouts during the game.
  • The committee recommended that during the last two minutes of the second half or the last two minutes of any overtime, instant replay review can be conducted if a basket interference or goaltending call has been made.

Mike Davis must have walked into an APR hornet's nest at Detroit Mercy as they are the only D1 school that will be ineligible for next year's NCAA tournament due to APR issues.  

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/low-academic-rates-cause-lost-postseason-penalties

3 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

The NCAA Men’s Basketball Rules Committee on Friday proposed moving the 3-point line to the international basketball distance of 22 feet, 1¾ inches.

If the recommendation is approved by the Playing Rules Oversight Panel on June 5, the rule would be effective for the 2019-20 season in Division I. Due to the potential financial impact, the new 3-point line would go into effect for the 2020-21 season in Divisions II and III.

Committee members proposed the rules change after receiving positive feedback from the annual rules survey and from coaches whose teams competed in the 2018 and 2019 National Invitation Tournament, where the international 3-point distance was used on an experimental basis.

The committee cited the following rationale for extending the line:

• Making the lane more available for dribble/drive plays from the perimeter.
  • Slowing the trend of the 3-point shot becoming too prevalent in men’s college basketball by making the shot a bit more challenging, while at the same time keeping the shot an integral part of the game.
  • Assisting in offensive spacing by requiring the defense to cover more of the court.

“After gathering information over the last two seasons, we feel it’s time to make the change,” said Tad Boyle, committee chair and coach at  Colorado. “Freedom of movement in the game remains important, and we feel this will open up the game. We believe this will remove some of the congestion on the way to the basket.”

Teams in the 2019 NIT averaged 23.1 field goal attempts in the tournament from behind the arc, compared with 22.8 3-point attempts in the 2018-19 regular season. The 3-point shooting percentage of teams in the 2019 NIT was 33%, compared with their regular season average of 35.2%.

When the line was moved before the 2008-09 season, the distance went from 19 feet, 9 inches to 20 feet, 9 inches. The percentage of 3-point shots made during that season compared with the previous season declined from 35.2% to 34.4%. The percentage of made 3-point field goals steadily increased back to 35.2% in Division I by the 2017-18 season.

Shot clock reset

The committee also recommended resetting the shot clock at 20 seconds after a field goal attempt hits the rim and the offensive team rebounds the ball in the front court.

The proposal was made to enhance the pace of the game. The committee decided a full 30-second shot clock is not needed because the offensive team is already in the front court after securing the rebound.

This was an experimental rule in the 2019 NIT, as well.

Other proposals

• The committee recommended players be assessed a Flagrant 2 technical foul and ejected should they use derogatory language about an opponent’s race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation or disability.
  • The committee recommended allowing coaches to call live-ball timeouts in the last two-minutes of the second half and the last two minutes of any overtime periods. Currently, coaches aren’t allowed to call any live-ball timeouts during the game.
  • The committee recommended that during the last two minutes of the second half or the last two minutes of any overtime, instant replay review can be conducted if a basket interference or goaltending call has been made.

Charges not yet irradicated? Yawn. 

Seriously though I like the 3 pt. line idea and I’d also love them to adopt my favorite international rule: the ball is live after it hits the rim aka the “Troy Williams’ Favorite Rule on the Canada Trip” Rule. 

This seems like something we should look into. A veteran ball handler to backup Rob would be nice to have this season, allowing Green/Durham to play mostly off the ball where they are more efficient.

The obvious issue would be if he is looking to go somewhere he can start.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26717141/sources-thornton-leave-usc-grad-transfer

19 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

UK adds Johnny Juzang as a total luxury piece to its class. Kinda unreal, when you think about it.

Did you also see UK is now in the lead for Jaden McDaniels? That makes 4 recruits ranked higher than Keion. I'm not saying the kid should have went to IU, (personally thought he fit best at Michigan State) but my goodness who was giving that kid advice? He won't play more than 15 minutes next year...

32 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

Did you also see UK is now in the lead for Jaden McDaniels? That makes 4 recruits ranked higher than Keion. I'm not saying the kid should have went to IU, (personally thought he fit best at Michigan State) but my goodness who was giving that kid advice? He won't play more than 15 minutes next year...

Ehh playing time isn't based on your HS rankings though, if he plays well he'll get on the court.

6'5" Arkamsas-Little Rock grad transfer Rayjon Tucker to Memphis. Was also considering Auburn, WV, and Iowa State. Auburn initially was thought to be the leader. Averages of 20 pts, 7 reb, 1 stl per game last season.

1 hour ago, HinnyHoosier said:

6'5" Arkamsas-Little Rock grad transfer Rayjon Tucker to Memphis. Was also considering Auburn, WV, and Iowa State. Auburn initially was thought to be the leader. Averages of 20 pts, 7 reb, 1 stl per game last season.

They are going to have a lot of talent. Will be curious to see what Penny does with it. 

They are going to have a lot of talent. Will be curious to see what Penny does with it. 

If anything like last year, a failure to meet expectation. And it will be a big one with the roster he has. Even bigger with the one he could potentially have when all said and done.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

17 minutes ago, HinnyHoosier said:

If anything like last year, a failure to meet expectation. And it will be a big one with the roster he has. Even bigger with the one he could potentially have when all said and done.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I'm sure they will start the season as a top 5 team. No way do I see them in the Final Four. They play in a weaker conference too. 

Justin Sueing (California) announced his transfer to Ohio State).  Will sit out the 19-20 season and have two years left.  He averaged 14 points and 6 rebounds at California from the small forward position.

Kind of hard to read how good he was....Cal was horrible (8-27).  He shot 43% from the field and only 30% from three.  Does get to the free throw line at a good rate.