Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

Not sure if its been mentioned but Texas Tech has  no players on its roster that were ESPN top 100 recruits.

Pretty crazy that Culver was around 300. Anunoby made some sense even though he was clearly under-ranked. But he was very raw. Culver is both extremely athletic and polished

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty crazy that Culver was around 300. Anunoby made some sense even though he was clearly under-ranked. But he was very raw. Culver is both extremely athletic and polished

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zaire Smith was ranked around Culver as well and he turned into 1St round pick last year

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

28 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

Not sure if its been mentioned but Texas Tech has  no players on its roster that were ESPN top 100 recruits.

That is really amazinging/admirable/cool.

I have not looked in 5 or 6 years but do know that at one point something like 22/23 championship teams in a row had at least one burger boy (the lone exception, at that time, was the 2002 MD team that beat IU). Going to the FF without a single healthy top 100 is quite an achievement.

That is really amazinging/admirable/cool.
I have not looked in 5 or 6 years but do know that at one point something like 22/23 championship teams in a row had at least one burger boy (the lone exception, at that time, was the 2002 MD team that beat IU). Going to the FF without a single healthy top 100 is quite an achievement.

I think UConn did it in 2014.

58 minutes ago, Joe DeLow said:

When was the last time IU won a title? How many players were alive? How many had even started preschool the last time Indiana went to a Final Four? Go after Indiana kids that are good enough. Outside of that, get the best of the best.

Check into it. You might find it parallels when we stopped a midwest focus.

23 minutes ago, Joe DeLow said:

I think UConn did it in 2014.

Could be. Like I said I haven’t looked in 5 or 6 or so years. The starting point was around when IU won in 1981 (which was right around when burger boys started) and 3/5 of our starters on that team were burger boys.

In any case, TT making the FF without a single healthy top 100 player is quite an achievement.

6 minutes ago, Joe DeLow said:

So Knight stopped his Midwest focus in the late 80’s?

Again, it's not just about a title, it's about being in position for a title run, regularly, and some breaks along the way.

75 in position with an injured player, 76 title, 81 title, 84 elite 8, 87 title, 92 final 4, 93 #1 team with injury, Patterson, Miller etc group was next in line but failed, 02 final game with mostly Knights roster, then lost focus, then lost culture.

Yep but they also have an incredible coach. This run would never happen with even a good coach. He is an elite coach so it happened.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Yep but they also have an incredible coach. This run would never happen with even a good coach. He is an elite coach so it happened.

Plus he had grad transfers and junior college guys so they have alot of experience

1 hour ago, Joe DeLow said:

When was the last time IU won a title? How many players were alive? How many had even started preschool the last time Indiana went to a Final Four? Go after Indiana kids that are good enough. Outside of that, get the best of the best.

The best of the best....what?  Players?  Team mates?  Athletes?  Shooters?  

You cannot win by stockpiling talent unless that's what you do every season.  That's not Indiana's culture.  The best basketball players are generally the best team mates.  Not necessarily the best athletes.  If you want the best, most coachable players able to develop, Indiana is well served by staying close to home because there are more than enough kids around here who DO know what Indiana basketball is.   Who gives a sh*t how old they are or what they can remember?   None of them remember the last time Michigan State won a title, either.  (using your words)  Above, someone said "get old, stay old."  That's the formula for consistency and if you think Indiana can just wave a wand and begin their new "Like Kentucky" culture, you're nuts.

Again, it's not just about a title, it's about being in position for a title run, regularly, and some breaks along the way.
75 in position with an injured player, 76 title, 81 title, 84 elite 8, 87 title, 92 final 4, 93 #1 team with injury, Patterson, Miller etc group was next in line but failed, 02 final game with mostly Knights roster, then lost focus, then lost culture.

So then he stopped in the mid 90’s? Because it isn’t like Indiana was great once Cheaney and co left.

The best of the best....what?  Players?  Team mates?  Athletes?  Shooters?  
You cannot win by stockpiling talent unless that's what you do every season.  That's not Indiana's culture.  The best basketball players are generally the best team mates.  Not necessarily the best athletes.  If you want the best, most coachable players able to develop, Indiana is well served by staying close to home because there are more than enough kids around here who DO know what Indiana basketball is.   Who gives a sh*t how old they are or what they can remember?   None of them remember the last time Michigan State won a title, either.  (using your words)  Above, someone said "get old, stay old."  That's the formula for consistency and if you think Indiana can just wave a wand and begin their new "Like Kentucky" culture, you're nuts.

Indiana’s culture? Is that being mediocre? Because that’s what we have been for 25 years.

9 minutes ago, Joe DeLow said:

So then he stopped in the mid 90’s? Because it isn’t like Indiana was great once Cheaney and co left.

1 group missed 96ish, but it carried on 2 years after he left, with a run with his players.

It was as hard to get the culture out of Knights players, as it is to get it into Creans.

3 hours ago, Joe DeLow said:

Staying close to home won’t win us a title. Being like Wisconsin won’t make this fan base happy. Having the success of Kentucky, Duke, Kansas or UNC will. Wanting to be like Wisconsin is settling.

I'd take Wisconsin results to get started. Will I get fat and sassy and start whining about 23-25 wins and sweet 16's? Yes, yes I will, but at least give me that chance to get bored with CONSISTENT success first. I want to win a NC again, but that doesn't mean I don't want to start pumping out top 4 B1G finishes every season in the meantime too.   

He actually did change with the Charlie Miller, Neill Reed, Andre Patterson class. Dakich mentioned this awhile back. With that class the assistants had been encouraging him to expand recruiting nationally and he had been resistant. If I remember correctly his reluctance had more to do with his desire not to have to travel far to recruit.

That class was a far more national class than what he traditionally had and they had success but they did miss the FF. I think that had more to do with RMK than the approach but I think regional kids knew more about what to expect than the national kids did.