Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

I just saw that Coach K has only been to 2 final fours in the last 15 years. With the recruiting classes he's brought in that's not a great return on investment. 
I thought he was a pretty good coach before he started going the one and done route. Probably still good but do they listen and by into team play. Who knows.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Watching Purdue-Virginia highlights, damn, this game was played at Mackey South. Deafening roar whenever Purdue scored, golf claps when Virginia did anything.

Yep. I was there. Almost 22,000 people, and I would guess about 15,000 were Purdue fans. I've been there for some big Louisville games, like the Duke one earlier this year, and I think last night's was the loudest I'd ever heard it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, Free Jurkin! said:

Kentucky could be set up really well for that next year as they'll have Quickley, Montgomery, and possibly Hagans and Herro back with a top class coming in. That's how they won Cal's only championship. That team had multiple sophomores who hadn't been quite good enough to declare as freshman.

None of those guys are necessarily coming back. Herro is very likely gone and Hagans is more likely gone than not.

Yes, probably an overreaction, although I'd still take Izzo over K if the rosters were the same. I've been really underwhelmed with the job K has done toward the end of this year. Great season record, but that's almost wholly attributable to having the best college player since at least Durant. This was the third straight game he got outcoached, but their luck ran out.

I thought this was a very weirdly shaped roster almost as if he took whoever he could get. Not one shooter out of the bunch. I really think guys like Barrett and Reddish will largely benefit at the next level from having shooters around them. It’s Coach K but even us Duke fans are critical of him sometimes. They settled for waaay too many 3s at times when they needed to pound the ball inside. Burning Joey Baker’s redshirt at Syracuse was some **** that still doesn’t make sense to me. I will say this was probably his best overall defensive team since 2015. (Duke really hasn’t that been that great on defense for awhile.) I’m just a diehard and Duke till I die but even I question things at times.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

50 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

Love how the ACC got spanked overall. If one team got in, love that it is Virginia. I got really tired of all the ACC love going into the tournament.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

ESPN will be in a state of mourning. No Zion or Dook.

I thought this was a very weirdly shaped roster almost as if he took whoever he could get. Not one shooter out of the bunch. I really think guys like Barrett and Reddish will largely benefit at the next level from having shooters around them. It’s Coach K but even us Duke fans are critical of him sometimes. They settled for waaay too many 3s at times when they needed to pound the ball inside. Burning Joey Baker’s redshirt at Syracuse was some **** that still doesn’t make sense to me. I will say this was probably his best overall defensive team since 2015. (Duke really hasn’t that been that great on defense for awhile.) I’m just a diehard and Duke till I die but even I question things at times.

No touch for Zion on the last 3 possessions was a head scratcher

No touch for Zion on the last 3 possessions was a head scratcher

Yep. He still got his but Michigan State made extremely difficult to get the ball inside to him. When he was out on the perimeter he was settling for threes. The stat that REALLY stuck out for me was I’m pretty sure Duke had 0 fast break points. That is ridiculous.

Yep. He still got his but Michigan State made extremely difficult to get the ball inside to him. When he was out on the perimeter he was settling for threes. The stat that REALLY stuck out for me was I’m pretty sure Duke had 0 fast break points. That is ridiculous.

Crazy stat. MSU was 15-0 in fast break pts

I could've lived with UK in the Final Four. They've gone to a handful in recent memory and I'm kind of numb to their success at this point. Purdue, on the other hand...glad they're out. Purdue in the Final Four would be like waking up in the morning to the sun rising in the north.

Really excited for this Final Four. I don't care about the "ratings" but you have three teams who have never won it and the other hasn't since 2000. Also, all four of these teams have had their ups and downs recently. 

Virginia-lost to a 16 seed last year and missed on the Final Four as a top seed a few times in the last few years. 

Michigan State- three straight years of getting eliminated during the first weekend (upset in 2016 and 2018). 

Texas Tech and Auburn- hardly had any success before Beard and Pearl. 

I think the one and done era ended today. It just doesn't work. Each of these teams have kids who played in college 2-3 years. That is what is going to win. That is why I hope Archie can develop Rob, Al, Jerome, TJD, Armaan, and other players. 

It was one of Izzo’s great sets out of a timeout ran specifically for goins. Jones probably should of switched

Didn’t Winston say in the post game interview that if wasn’t drawn up for him but he (Goins) just made a great play?

2 minutes ago, AKHoosier said:

Calipari is getting hammered on the UK boards right now.  I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he bolted that pressure cooker of a job this year for UCLA.

@KeionBrooks your thoughts here?

I think, and I guess this is bold, he is gone. UCLA or the Lakers. $$$$ talks. I think the majority of UK fans are tired of him. With the one and done era ending soon he doesn't have much to stand on. At UK you have to win titles. Very similar to IU. With all that talent one title isn't going to cut it. IMO, his 2015 loss to Wisconsin in the Final Four was similar to Creans 2013 loss to Syracuse. Fans haven't forgiven him over it. They have also had an "easy" path the last two years and still couldn't make the Final Four. 2017 buzzer beater to UNC and 2016 loss to IU.