Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

1 minute ago, theriverpilot said:

To be fair, I agreed with Clark Kellogg that UVA threw some double teams at Edwards and I thought hedged him pretty tight. Edwards was just unconscious.

And no other player for PU scores more than 7 points. Yikes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In his four tournament games, Carson had 23, 21, 22, and 25 shots with the 25 coming in overtime.  It's not like teams before Virginia had figured out how to limit his touches.  And they did do something the other teams didn't......for the most part, they kept him off the line and prevented their own foul trouble.

11 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Remember when people on this site said that Purdue wasn’t good and Carson Edwards wasn’t deserving of B1G POY? Yeah.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Go back and rewatch the IU game, either of the Minnesota games, the Northwestern game, the Nebraska game, the FSU game, and about a half dozen others. Edwards is dynamic. He’s also a remorseless gunner who has shot them out of as many games as he’s won them. He was not B1G POY. 

3 minutes ago, Demo said:

Go back and rewatch the IU game, either of the Minnesota games, the Northwestern game, the Nebraska game, the FSU game, and about a half dozen others. Edwards is dynamic. He’s also a remorseless gunner who has shot them out of as many games as he’s won them. He was not B1G POY. 

He did NOT shoot them out of as many games as he's won them....period.

People were saying this preseason. Agreed that he shot them out of games during the season.

This kid just had an insane tournament. I think our fan base really did not take Purdue and Edwards seriously all year, and we almost just had to witness him carry the squad to a Final Four.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Question:

End of regulation the missed Virginia free throw is tipped into the backcourt by a Virginia player and then retrieved by a different Virginia player. Should that have been called over and back?

Doesn’t Virginia have possession by virtue of being on offense and shooting the free throw and no one but the Virginia player touched the ball when it was swatted into the back court? I know you can inbounds the ball into the backcourt, but this is different. If the ball had been tipped by a Purdue player I think that makes a difference because that would be a deflection and the ensuing Virginia tip might not be considered a controlled possession...but with the ball only being touched on the miss by the Virginia player it seems like it could be over and back to me. Very curious what the actual rule is on this and if anyone can provide a certain explanation. Good call...or missed call?

People were saying this preseason. Agreed that he shot them out of games during the season.

This kid just had an insane tournament. I think our fan base really did not take Purdue and Edwards seriously all year, and we almost just had to witness him carry the squad to a Final Four.

I even expected Edwards to have a game tonight where he shot Purdue out of it. The kid is good.

Question:

End of regulation the missed Virginia free throw is tipped into the backcourt by a Virginia player and then retrieved by a different Virginia player. Should that have been called over and back?

Doesn’t Virginia have possession by virtue of being on offense and shooting the free throw and no one but the Virginia player touched the ball when it was swatted into the back court? I know you can inbounds the ball into the backcourt, but this is different. If the ball had been tipped by a Purdue player I think that makes a difference because that would be a deflection and the ensuing Virginia tip might not be considered a controlled possession...but with the ball only being touched on the miss by the Virginia player it seems like it could be over and back to me. Very curious what the actual rule is on this and if anyone can provide a certain explanation. Good call...or missed call?

Kellogg just discussed that. It was a loose ball situation even with the tip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Question:

A team is allowed to do it. Not sure the exact reasoning behind it. Just one of those rules in basketball.

5 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Interesting to watch teams advance that have a guy or two on their roster that can get so unconsciously hot they can carry a team in a high level tourney game.

IUBB currently has one guy who is wired like that and it’s not Romeo. Y’all know who that is; DGreen.

Which is exactly why Green needs to be our shooter. Give him the ball to either shoot a 3 or shoot the floater. 

Should not be a ball handler.

20 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I’d stand by the Edwards part of that;; Edwards was under 40% fg and had more tos than assists in B1G play.

However; Edwards WAS most certainly on his way to being the MVP of the whole freakin NCAA tourney.

I don't have a problem with either Edwards or Winston being Big 10 MVPs.  One thing I will say is that eFG is more important than straight field percentage.....especially for guys taking over half of their shots as threes.  Edwards was at about 48% by that measure, not great but certainly more than livable for a volume shooter.  The one thing that sticks out for me is that Purdue's offensive efficiency was 5th in the nation with really only one guy that was good at getting his own shot.

Interesting to watch teams advance that have a guy or two on their roster that can get so unconsciously hot they can carry a team in a high level tourney game.
IUBB currently has one guy who is wired like that and it’s not Romeo. Y’all know who that is; DGreen.

Unfortunately he’s even more prone to cold streaks and never gets as hot as what we just witnessed.

You’re totally right though.

7 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Some guys simply want to be 'the guy'.  It's why it was frustrating to me the amount of criticism that Green took.  You HAVE to have guys like that on a team.  Can't have a team full of them but you need a couple of them.