Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

I feel the same. It’s a large chunk of the season. But that’s not a priority for whatever reason. Maybe next year it’ll be different. But the bubble is so weak this year it doesn’t even matter. Not sure what that means for CBB but it’s gotta get better from here.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Means nothing to CBB and it doesn’t gotta get better from here. Only thing that will happen is you will fall out of interest more and more each year and they will still get big television contracts and people like me will still watch bad many games as possible every year.

3 minutes ago, Joe DeLow said:

I feel the same. It’s a large chunk of the season. But that’s not a priority for whatever reason. Maybe next year it’ll be different. But the bubble is so weak this year it doesn’t even matter. Not sure what that means for CBB but it’s gotta get better from here.

If a team can’t win at least half of 20 conference games, I don’t think it should be a big player in the discussion

40 minutes ago, Joe DeLow said:

I’d say he is just giving fans a reality check. And plenty need it. We lose tomorrow and it is off to the NIT. And I can understand him saying we shouldn’t be in the conversation. Just like Texas, Oklahoma and TCU shouldn’t. But that’s just how the system works now and it is going to take people time to get used to the new standard that’s been created because of it.

Except the old system saw 15 loss Vanderbilt and 15 loss Alabama make the tournament in the last two seasons.

The problem with RPI wasn't really in its counting of losses.  The problem was in its mind numbingly bad way of rating strength of schedule.  By RPI standards, our SOS this year was 50th.  Kenpom has it at 11, Sagarin has it at 13.  Any reputable system puts us at about that level.

Think about this:  If we had won two more games and were 19-12, our RPI would raw rating would put us 52nd, one spot below......YALE, who lost four games in the Ivy league.

Yea. They just used RPI. Which I don’t exactly agree with the Quad system. It’s too vague and not specific enough. Wins and losses mean way different things for teams. Playing a team that is 75th is considered a Q1 loss. But if Virginia loses at UC Irvine, people will perceive it as a bad loss but the NET considers it a loss that doesn’t matter. The NCAA definitely needs to work on the system and get away from trying to put a monopoly on a ratings system. Use them all and set standards.

You have to play that 75th on the road for it to be a Quad 1 loss

Has any team ever been invited to the tournament after suffering a 7 game losing streak, let alone following that up with a separate 5 game streak? Serious question. Just the 7 straight. Anyone know

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Has any team ever been invited to the tournament after suffering a 7 game losing streak, let alone following that up with a separate 5 game streak? Serious question. Just the 7 straight. Anyone know

That will be tough to find but I will try

5 minutes ago, cappymo14 said:

Yes, IU in 2019.

The team I thought would be close
Minny in 2012-13
Lost 4 in a row to start the losing streak and went on to lose 11 out of 16 (1St round of BTT included)to end the year. Finished 8-10 in B1G and got a 11 seed

I think it may be a little harder to find than I thought. Have to go through the full schedule for every team in the field. If you happen to come across something easily I’d be glad to hear about it, otherwise don’t wear yourself out looking brother. The reason I ask is, I remember watching a post game show on CBS a few years back, where the analysts were discussing the bracket viability of certain teams considered on the bubble. It popped into memory because the argument for a particular team was that although the team suffered 14 losses overall, they had never lost 3 in a row and only lost back to back games twice. The consensus from the panel was that it would give them an advantage over bubble teams with similar records, who could not claim the same. All metrics, quads and computations aside, that still gives me pause when it comes to decision time. Thing is, we don’t really know what the net is, or how it’s really used. We know some dudes computer model based on what little info the committee has leaked. I still say even with a win over OSU, it’s far from the lock some say it is. About 9 of those 12 games weren’t losses man, those were blowouts. Many on national tv. This is my opinion. Not trying to be negative in any way. I’m simply saying this....better keep winning.

I think it may be a little harder to find than I thought. Have to go through the full schedule for every team in the field. If you happen to come across something easily I’d be glad to hear about it, otherwise don’t wear yourself out looking brother. The reason I ask is, I remember watching a post game show on CBS a few years back, where the analysts were discussing the bracket viability of certain teams considered on the bubble. It popped into memory because the argument for a particular team was that although the team suffered 14 losses overall, they had never lost 3 in a row and only lost back to back games twice. The consensus from the panel was that it would give them an advantage over bubble teams with similar records, who could not claim the same. All metrics, quads and computations aside, that still gives me pause when it comes to decision time. Thing is, we don’t really know what the net is, or how it’s really used. We know some dudes computer model based on what little info the committee has leaked. I still say even with a win over OSU, it’s far from the lock some say it is. Those 12 games weren’t losses man, those were blowouts. Many on national tv. This is my opinion. Not trying to be negative in any way. I’m simply saying this....better keep winning.

Blowouts...? Losses, yes but not blowouts

@UM -11 not really that close
@Maryland -3 close most of the game
Vs. Nebraska -15 blowout, bad loss
@pu -15 blowout
@NW -7 bad loss
Vs Michigan -23 blowout, bad loss
@Rutger -8 bad loss
Vs. Iowa -5 late competitive loss
Vs. O$U -3 late competitive loss
@Minny -21 blowout
Vs. pu -2 competitive close loss
@iowa -6 OT loss

5 of those losses were blowouts. 5 of those games were late possession losses with some tough shots made. If you wanted to make an argument injuries played a big role you could. The team definitely showed lackluster effort in many too.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

2 minutes ago, cappymo14 said:

Haha! No playing that one off. Oooh I bet that hurt though, what ever he hit to make him tumble sounded like hard object on dense bone.

Watching his running form I’d say the name Miles is undeserved.