Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

29 minutes ago, HoosierX said:

I don’t see how they can put Clemson in with only one quad 1 win.

Isn’t that similar logic as to why Nebraska was left out last year?

NC State isn't any better other than this win. I think they should have to beat Virginia with their horrible SOS but just me. 

Life isn’t fair. Name if the game is winning.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Evidently not since the committee set a precedent by allowing teams with a 16-14 overall record and allowing teams under 500 in conference and 2 of those teams 4 games under 500 in as at large selections. I totally agree with you though. Life isn’t fair. Mid Majors just need to deal with the system they are competing in or change the way they do things instead of crying every year that life isn’t fair.

1 hour ago, Joe DeLow said:

I find it funny how no one has learned how good Gonzaga is no matter how bad the conference is. They could have walked into the Big Ten, ACC, SEC or Big 12 and won it this year. They are that good. That’s why the eye test matters. You can’t judge a team like Gonzaga through SOS stats.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Gonzaga might have been able to win the SEC or Big 12 this year but they would certainly have taken far more losses. There's little chance they could have won the ACC and the only way they even finish in the top 4 of the BIG Ten is if they were allowed to have WCC officials call every game. With Big Ten officials they would have more fouls called on them in one game against Wisconsin than they have would have in 3-4 games in the WCC. 

Here is what I think...
Assuming the #1 seed wins their conference tourney.
Auto bids: Vermont, Houston, VCU, Virginia, LIBERTY, Kansas State, Villanova, Montana, GARDNER WEBB, Michigan State, UC Irvine, NORTHEASTERN, Old Dominion, NORTHERN KENTUCKY, Harvard, IONA, Buffalo, Norfolk St, BRADLEY, Nevada, FAIRLEIGH DICKINSON, MURRAY STATE, Washington, Colgate, LSU, WOFFORD, Sam Houston St, Prairie View, NORTH DAKOTA ST, Georgia St, SAINT MARYS, New Mexico St(32 teams)

Who I consider locks: Cincy, UCF, North Carolina, Duke, Florida St, Virginia Tech, Louisville, Syracuse, Purdue, Michigan, Wisconsin, Maryland, Iowa, Texas Tech, Kansas, Baylor, Iowa State, Marquette, Tennessee, Kentucky, Mississippi St, Ole Miss, Gonzaga(20 teams)

That leaves 16 spots to be filled. The bubble IMO is: Temple, Davidson, NC State, Minnesota, Ohio State, Indiana, Texas, TCU, Oklahoma, Georgetown, Seton Hall, Creighton, St Johns, Xavier, Arizona St, South Carolina, Florida, Lipscomb, UNC Greensboro, Utah State, Belmont.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners
good list
Memphis has a better shot then South Carolina

Life isn’t fair. Name if the game is winning.

Yea how terrible it would be to have standards of winning

I don’t see people whining about how the system is? Also the name of the game is basketball. Beyond that the rules to get in the tournament are to be one of the best teams not superficially win a bunch of games against teams they shouldn’t schedule. You are kind of wrong all the way around on these two quotes.

Gonzaga might have been able to win the SEC or Big 12 this year but they would certainly have taken far more losses. There's little chance they could have won the ACC and the only way they even finish in the top 4 of the BIG Ten is if they were allowed to have WCC officials call every game. With Big Ten officials they would have more fouls called on them in one game against Wisconsin than they have would have in 3-4 games in the WCC. 

I actually like the makeup of Gonzaga but I think they’d need to be deeper than they currently are to compete in a high major conference. They beat Dook while Dook was healthy. IU beat KU a few years ago in Hawaii and then collapsed. One off games can be misleading but... Gonzaga is legit. I’m not sure what happened last night they just didn’t compete. I could see them finishing top 4 in any high major conference and winning a few.

On a similar note, I don’t think Tennessee could compete in the Big Ten with Big Ten officials. They’re just build differently as a team.

I would like to see Gonzaga move to a high major for basketball. They’ve proven over a extended period of time they are a perennial winner.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Give it a few years. The new system is built to give those in the Top 6 conferences better resumes as they obviously have more opportunities at Q1 and Q2 games. Guys like Murray State can only do it in OOC. A team like Gonzaga isn’t going to be able to schedule much in OOC because teams really don’t want to play them for whatever reason. Even though losing to Gonzaga isn’t a bad thing. As long as Few is there, that’ll always be a Q1 team. Though I think Gonzaga should say screw and use their OOC as a “conference schedule and only schedule teams from the Pac12, B1G, Big 12, ACC, SEC and BE. At least 1 from each. Or leave the WCC for the MWC, Pac12 or talk about creating a new conference with 5 or 6 other good mid majors out west(along with 5-6 fill in teams that don’t matter)

Gonzaga had a pretty solid noncon schedule this season.

Texas A&M
Illinois
Arizona
Duke
Creighton
Washington
Tennessee
North Carolina

But yeah, I can see where they would have a difficult time scheduling a solid noncon...

Illinois, Arizona and Duke were a part of the Maui tourney. They don’t control that themselves. UNC is an outlier as they also traveled to Wofford and Elon this season. Gonzaga themselves is an outlier though they don’t schedule like that every year. And they only lost 2 of those which is impressive.

So they were able to schedule Texas A&M, Creighton, Washington, Tennessee, and North Carolina in the noncon. That’s a better noncon than several high major teams that have the luxury of play in preseason tourneys and conference challenges. The point being if mid majors want to have a challenging noncon schedule they can do it. The same for high majors.

I’d actually be in favor of conferences who play fewer conference games to require their programs to play better noncon schedules.

Illinois, Arizona and Duke were a part of the Maui tourney. They don’t control that themselves. UNC is an outlier as they also traveled to Wofford and Elon this season. Gonzaga themselves is an outlier though they don’t schedule like that every year. And they only lost 2 of those which is impressive.

Really? In 2005 they played 5 ranked teams in non conference. Next year they will get UNC, Texas A&M, Zona, and Washington. 3 of those on the road. That doesn’t include a preseason tourney they will be a part of.

So they were able to schedule Texas A&M, Creighton, Washington, Tennessee, and North Carolina in the noncon. That’s a better noncon than several high major teams that have the luxury of play in preseason tourneys and conference challenges. The point being if mid majors want to have a challenging noncon schedule they can do it. The same for high majors.

I’d actually be in favor of conferences who play fewer conference games to require their programs to play better noncon schedules.

MM complaining about scheduling HM is becoming something that is getting on my nerves. Each year the complain no HM will play them on the road. Yes it sucks that the system is stacked against them but this isn’t going to change so crying about it every year is going to change or help your team. What would help would be instead of scheduling 2 D2 teams on the schedule (Lipscomb) how about at least schedule some D1 teams. If HM are not going to help about change you scheduling philosophy. MM need to help each other out and take advantage of the new Quad system moving forward. Schedule HH with other great MM give yourself a chance at Quad 1 and quad 2. Playing on the road at quality MM is going to give you an opportunity to earn a quad 1 win with better percentage then getting a HM to come play

MM complaining about scheduling HM is becoming something that is getting on my nerves. Each year the complain no HM will play them on the road. Yes it sucks that the system is stacked against them but this isn’t going to change so crying about it every year is going to change or help your team. What would help would be instead of scheduling 2 D2 teams on the schedule (Lipscomb) how about at least schedule some D1 teams. If HM are not going to help about change you scheduling philosophy. MM need to help each other out and take advantage of the new Quad system moving forward. Schedule HH with other great MM give yourself a chance at Quad 1 and quad 2. Playing on the road at quality MM is going to give you an opportunity to earn a quad 1 win with better percentage then getting a HM to come play

I need a legend of all the abbreviations to understand this lol.

Sent from my SM-G960U using BtownBanners mobile app