Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

This surely is someone's idea of an early April Fool joke.  Bennett's style in Westwood????????????

ADAM ZAGORIA-

UCLA is targeting Virginia coach Tony Bennett as its next coach and he hasn’t turned them down yet, a source told ZAGSBLOG Thursday. “They are going hard after Tony Bennett and he has not said no yet,” the source said. Yahoo’s Pete Thamel wrote last week that UCLA “covets” Bennett, and multiple sources confirmed that he is among their top tier of targets. Still, many in the industry find it hard to believe that Bennett, 49, would ever leave Virginia for UCLA, which though a blue blood is not the program it once was.  Bennett is 240-88 (.732) in nine-plus seasons at Virginia and has them positioned for yet another No. 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament.

This surely is someone's idea of an early April Fool joke.  Bennett's style in Westwood????????????
 ADAM ZAGORIA-
UCLA is targeting Virginia coach Tony Bennett as its next coach and he hasn’t turned them down yet, a source told ZAGSBLOG Thursday. “They are going hard after Tony Bennett and he has not said no yet,” the source said. Yahoo’s Pete Thamel wrote last week that UCLA “covets” Bennett, and multiple sources confirmed that he is among their top tier of targets. Still, many in the industry find it hard to believe that Bennett, 49, would ever leave Virginia for UCLA, which though a blue blood is not the program it once was.  Bennett is 240-88 (.732) in nine-plus seasons at Virginia and has them positioned for yet another No. 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament.

I just can’t see it. But man he would have his pick of west coast kid.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Not a foul on Coffey in my opinion. Thoughts?

I thought the post game interviews and presser were in poor taste as well.

(Paraphrasing)
Miles told Roby to take the charge on Murphy. Roby said if he bumps me the second time I’ll take the charge. Miles response was he’s a big guy if he hits you fall down.

Palmer Jr. basically said he gave a pump fake and then jumped into him (the defender) and thank God he got the foul call.

It just screams bad basketball to me. The same ref made the charge call and the foul on Coffey.

Everyone knows my view on Big Ten officiating. I think, much like IU, the stuff at the top needs to clean things up. A Big Ten game looks so much different than an $EC or Big East game.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

52 minutes ago, Joe DeLow said:

And the Illini are now 6-8 in the Big Ten along with Minnesota. And on a 4 game winning streak beating Nebraska, Michigan State, Rutgers and Ohio State.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Pretty embarrassing that Illinois is getting better as the season goes on and our team is getting worse. Hard to fathom how this season is not on Archie other than he lost the team and needs to clean house. 

8 hours ago, KzooHoosier82 said:

Pretty embarrassing that Illinois is getting better as the season goes on and our team is getting worse. Hard to fathom how this season is not on Archie other than he lost the team and needs to clean house. 

Image result for reset button

They play hard for 40 minutes. Plain and simple.

When you lose 9 of 10 it's easy to lose sight of the reality of things for both players and fans. The reality of the situation at the time of Crean's firing and subsequent coaching search was that his replacement would either be someone with a philosophy similar to Crean's or drastically different. Based on how that era played out, the odds favored the latter candidate; usually the case for a new hire when the previous coach was relieved of duty. But regardless of the hire there are players who will prefer one way vs the other, leaving a very real possibility of a team not entirely bought into the culture change. Mix in a few players lacking the required mentality to deal with change as well as a vaunted recruit who becomes the focal point of the program in year 2 (really, year 1) before he even sets foot on the practice floor. Now pile on an ungodly amount of injuries, further adding to everyone's frustrations, and we have before us the one scenario we all overlooked as being a distinct possibility because we so badly wanted to catapult back to the top when a coaching change was made. And unfortunately, it's nearly the worst possible version of that scenario: a fractured team.

It's the coaches' and players' responsibilities to work through that. Right now they aren't. This kind of thing hits hard because you always assume it won't happen. But it was always a possibility.

14 hours ago, KzooHoosier82 said:

And we go there in a few weeks...we'll get beat something like 70-52. It'll be just like old times.