Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

16 minutes ago, schoosier said:

The B1g has some terrific teams this year. At our best we can play with most of them. If we can’t reduce our turnovers we can lose to anyone. The leash has to be short but we have a couple players extremely careless with the ball. Arch gets the check to figure it out.

FTs and turnovers. Not much room for error in this conference.

I can’t tell if the B1G is really good or just all the teams are slightly above mediocre except for MSU and UM.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

ACC Challenge was a good indicator of quality.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

We went 7-7? And Michigan State, Indiana, Maryland, Purdue and Ohio State lost. 5 teams who are supposed to be in the top 7 of the conference.

Yes, 7-7. Equally competitive with the other top conference. Duke will be favored in every single game they play this season.

Also, note I said indicator. It’s a good indicator, not a definitive piece of evidence.

Reviewing the teams the B1G has beat in non-con play thus far as well as KenPom ratings are two more indicators that the B1G is strong.

You could also say that losses to the top B1G teams to lesser B1G teams is an indicator that we may not have many true title contenders.

Make sense? Not everything is black and white, but I believe there are enough indicators to assume the B1G is strong this year.

Edwards tried hard to shoot Purdue out of that game (4/15 FG). Cowan tried harder to shoot Maryland out of it (4/17 FG). 

Two of a few who can make their teams go or almost single handily lose. I hope Green reduces his dumb mistakes throughout the season because we could really use his defense against some of the better Big Ten guards.

4 minutes ago, HoosierX said:

He's averaging 25 points a game and has been pretty consistent.  You predicted that he wouldn't be a perfect player? Good for you.  

Most decent players can score 20 ppg when they use 40% of their teams possessions. 

43% from the field is not NPOTY worthy

It is normal for the B1G to get about half in. Michigan is looking like an easy pick for the Final Four. The ACC has two. The SEC could easily have two with Kentucky and Tennessee. Some say the ACC has 3 but i don’t consider Virginia to ever be a legitimate title contender because of their style of play.

Who’s their third? UNC has looked worse than us this year and you said IU’s ceiling was Sweet 16.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

There are two title contenders in the B1G. Both from Michigan. That’s it. Ohio State, Wisconsin, Purdue, Indiana, Maryland have a ceiling of a Sweet 16.

I wonder if people were saying Loyola, Kansas St, Texas Tech, Florida St and Michigans ceiling was the elite 8 on December 6th of last year. Each of these teams ended up a title contender being i game away from a final 4.

It is normal for the B1G to get about half in. Michigan is looking like an easy pick for the Final Four. The ACC has two. The SEC could easily have two with Kentucky and Tennessee. Some say the ACC has 3 but i don’t consider Virginia to ever be a legitimate title contender because of their style of play.

Last year we had four, and seven is our historical max.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/conferences/big-ten/

There really isn’t such thing as an easy pick for the Final Four. I’d put money on Duke this year, and maybe one or two teams each season, but the tournament is March Madness for a reason.

37 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Most decent players can score 20 ppg when they use 40% of their teams possessions. 

43% from the field is not NPOTY worthy

That analysis is incredibly simplistic.  Do you honestly believe it is easier to shoot a higher percentage when you are the team's main option and need to carry the scoring load?  When was the last time IU had a player average 20 points a game?  Eric Gordon?  Want to guess what his field goal % was?

There isn't a single person on this board that thought Edwards was NPOTY worthy.  Are you patting yourself on the back because he isn't averaging 38 points a game while shooting 60% from the field?  What did you expect him to do on this year's Purdue team?

Well yea. Always seems to be at least one Cinderella team to make it to the S16 or further. I think there was some bad seeding last season. Penn was a Cinderella candidate but somehow got stuck as a 16 seed. But most of the time you can see a few teams primed and ready to go. Nova looked good last and had some darned good talent and it showed as they whooped the crap out of Kansas and Michigan. Duke can definitely play at a completely different level than anyone else. Their A game is everyone else’s A+++ game or better. Though I don’t think they win the ACC regular season. Virginia probably will, get a bunch of media hype and get bounced in the S16.

Ok so back to the main point, there are many indicators that the B1G is strong this year as of early December. That can change, but it’s looking good so far. It’s a good thing that everyone is rated so well going into conference play, because there will likely be plenty of losses handed to the “better” teams.

So now Virginia is a title contender? Immediately above the post I quoted you said you didn't consider them a title contender because of their style of play. Which is it?

Virginia. Duke and UNC are their best bets.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Like I originally said, I don’t know how good the B1G really is. The teams could be better than they look. Or we could be as overrated as the B12 has been the last few years.

Sounds good. Those are all options. There are more options as well.

Here is how I see things so far after one month and two B1G games:

1. Michigan-Zavier Simpson is their engine. Their freshman is pretty good as well. 
  2. Michigan State-Sold trio of juniors with depth. I think they could be dangerous in March. 
  3. Wisconsin-Healthy with a solid road win at Iowa. Trice and Davison have been huge. 
  4. Indiana-Really need to take care of the basketball. Need another person to step up on offense. 
  5. Maryland- Might be the most talented team in the B1G but not big on Turdgeon.
  6. Iowa- Franimals best team he has had. Like Maryland, not big on coaching. Played two tough B1G teams already. 
  7. Purdue-Carsen Edwards is carrying this team. Would be a bottom 3 team without him. Future looks not so good in West Lafayette. 
  8. Ohio State-Not drinking the Ohio State Kool-Aid yet. They lost too much from last year. 
  9. Minnesota- Was big on Minny unitl O$U blew them out at home. 
  10. Nebraska- Like Maryland and Iowa, talented but terrible coaching. 
  11. Northwestern- Could surprise people. Played Michigan and IU tough. If Ryan Taylor gets going watch out. 
  12. Penn State- Much better defensive team. Could upset some teams in January and February. 
  13. Rutgers- Solid road win at Miami. Played Sparty and Whisky tough. 
  14. Illinois- A JOKE

MVP Carsen Edwards

COY Beilein 

FOY Romeo Langford 

1st Team

Winston 

Carsen

Romeo'

Bruno

Happ

8 hours ago, HoosierX said:

That analysis is incredibly simplistic.  Do you honestly believe it is easier to shoot a higher percentage when you are the team's main option and need to carry the scoring load?  When was the last time IU had a player average 20 points a game?  Eric Gordon?  Want to guess what his field goal % was?

There isn't a single person on this board that thought Edwards was NPOTY worthy.  Are you patting yourself on the back because he isn't averaging 38 points a game while shooting 60% from the field?  What did you expect him to do on this year's Purdue team?

I expected exactly this. What aren’t you getting about this?  All the talking heads and NPOY voters were the ones that didn’t expect his percentage to drop or his turnovers to increase.  And I gave credit to the other people on this board already but it most certainly was not everybody 

I can say I honestly didn’t think he was worthy due to the usage he would have, how Painter runs his offense for guards, and limitations elsewhere without CE having an elite skill set. He is a good player but he wouldn’t put up the numbers needed with lack of a national program. Purdue is just not on ESPN/CBS enough. Personal opinion but there are outside factors here too.

10 hours ago, Joe DeLow said:

You're making a lot of insinuations based on a very small sample size of games. Virginia NOT a title contender? Seven days into December? Have you followed college basketball for a full season? MANY times, the teams that are hot in December, are forgotten by March/April. You should leave the Bracketology to the Bracketologists...