Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

Those games were always going to be big games. Even if we would of won at Arkansas those games would of still been big. Good news this year though is the B1G is tearing it up in non-conference so that will allow some teams to slip up in non-conference as long as there are no Quad 3 or 4 looses to bad teams at home. B1G is going to give teams chance for a quad 1 or 2 win almost every night.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Yeah, the nonCon was always going to be about the 5 real games.

We started 1-1. Likely to go 1-2. Finishing 3-2 puts us in a good spot. Finishing 2-3 puts us outside a little looking in. Would have to do well in the B1G.

I’d rather build a bit of a buffer in the nonCon as I don’t know who to trust in the B1G.

Yeah, the nonCon was always going to be about the 5 real games.

We started 1-1. Likely to go 1-2. Finishing 3-2 puts us in a good spot. Finishing 2-3 puts us outside a little looking in. Would have to do well in the B1G.

I’d rather build a bit of a buffer in the nonCon as I don’t know who to trust in the B1G.

I definitely understand wanting a buffer. Still have to do well after you build that buffer. If they went 5-0 and then no showed in conference they still could be on the outside. Have to do well in both phases. I’ve seen teams suck it up in non conference and then have strong conference to get an at large bid
Arizona st would be an example of building up a buffer in the non-conference and holding on for dear life during conference play last year to receive a first 4 spot against Cuse

2 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I agree but the “don’t panic” crowd never panics. And then we miss the NCAAs, still no panic. That’s been the refrain.

True. I’ve personally come to grips with my expectations. This team just isn’t as good as I expected them to be. The insane amount of injuries, I’m sure has something to do with how poor we’ve looked as of late and it’s really concerning. If we can’t get these guys back fully healthy, then I’m afraid we are a fringe tourney team. The B1G is strong this year. Much stronger than anticipated. 

True. I’ve personally come to grips with my expectations. This team just isn’t as good as I expected them to be. The insane amount of injuries, I’m sure has something to do with how poor we’ve looked as of late and it’s really concerning. If we can’t get these guys back fully healthy, then I’m afraid we are a fringe tourney team. The B1G is strong this year. Much stronger than anticipated. 
I agree. I think we always have high expectations but ncaa may be our ceiling. We have two good players but they can't do it all. Fitzner is really limited imo.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, jbell833 said:

Seems like so many are quickly abandoning any excitement we had to begin the season and just dogging this team for being 5-1 with now wins less than 14 points and beating a top 25 team by virtually 30. This team is still growing and gelling together and the injuries have halted our "growth" as of late. Getting McBob back is going to do wonders for this team and even though I'm not a big fan of Green, he's going to provide much needed depth at the guard position to give Rob a breather. Just relax, enjoy the game tonight, we're playing with house money tonight and nothing to lose. This game is only going to make us better and IF we win I can't wait to get back on here and watch everyone retract their statements about this team.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Agreed. The Arkansas loss is not a terrible loss. McRoberts is clearly important to this team and it hurt them for him to be out. 

I think we are as a team closer to the team that stomped Marquette than the one that struggled at times the last 2 games. 

The last two non-conference games you can't look at.

Teams like these have nothing to lose coming into AH.  Their playing level is accelerated because of the chance to play in a HOF Venue.  IU has the expectation of winning these games but we can't always expect to blow these teams out of the water either.

It is easy for IU not to take these games as serious as most and their game play showed it.

We get in to the conference and it will be a much different season.  I am really eager to see how we play against Duke, Butler, and Louisville.  We go 2-1 in these three and I am feeling pretty good.

1 hour ago, jbell833 said:

Seems like so many are quickly abandoning any excitement we had to begin the season and just dogging this team for being 5-1 with no wins less than 14 points and beating a top 25 team by virtually 30. This team is still growing and gelling together and the injuries have halted our "growth" as of late. Getting McBob back is going to do wonders for this team and even though I'm not a big fan of Green, he's going to provide much needed depth at the guard position to give Rob a breather. Just relax, enjoy the game tonight, we're playing with house money tonight and nothing to lose. This game is only going to make us better and IF we win I can't wait to get back on here and watch everyone retract their statements about this team.

Agreed!

For instance: 

#1 Gonzaga 84-  Illinois (2-4) 78

#2 Kansas 84 - Vermont (3-3)  68 ... this 16 point win has been Kansas' largest victory margin yet (with a very tough non-con schedule...FYI they beat Marquette by 9pts).

#10 Kensucky 92 - VMI 82,   Kensucky 87 -  Winthrop 74,   Kensucky 77 - Tenn St 62

1 minute ago, HoosierCoop said:

The last two non-conference games you can't look at.

Teams like these have nothing to lose coming into AH.  Their playing level is accelerated because of the chance to play in a HOF Venue.  IU has the expectation of winning these games but we can't always expect to blow these teams out of the water either.

It is easy for IU not to take these games as serious as most and their game play showed it.

We get in to the conference and it will be a much different season.  I am really eager to see how we play against Duke, Butler, and Louisville.  We go 2-1 in these three and I am feeling pretty good.

I feel the same way. Should IU have played better, even with all the injuries,-YES. However, this was UC Davis and UT Arlington's "Super Bowl". I feel Louisville and Butler are must wins with this team. Can't afford to lose those two games against Power conference schools. 

I don’t like assigning fabricated significance to any one game. We’ve learned a good bit about this team, but it’s still November. They likely aren’t going to look like they do now one way or another come March.

Seems like so many are quickly abandoning any excitement we had to begin the season and just dogging this team for being 5-1 with no wins less than 14 points and beating a top 25 team by virtually 30. This team is still growing and gelling together and the injuries have halted our "growth" as of late. Getting McBob back is going to do wonders for this team and even though I'm not a big fan of Green, he's going to provide much needed depth at the guard position to give Rob a breather. Just relax, enjoy the game tonight, we're playing with house money tonight and nothing to lose. This game is only going to make us better and IF we win I can't wait to get back on here and watch everyone retract their statements about this team.

Great post. Injuries, which are forcing players to play different roles or expanding their minutes more than they should be playing are one big reason we have struggled IMO. It's why I'm not in "panic" mode now like some.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I sure hope I am in this crowd. I didn’t know it existed.

I'm a proud member of that crowd as of right now. When everyone comes back healthy and they still struggle, it will probably change.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

UC-Davis probably before the year projected as the 6th toughest non conference game. They made the tourney last year and had almost all of their production coming back. Then the season started and they looked terrible up until the IU game. I’m guessing Davis will end up having a good year but still shouldn’t of been up double digits on IU. IU has held each team this year under 1 pt per possession. Last year that only happened twice this early. In second half of Davis game IU held Davis to .69 per possession

7 minutes ago, TXHoosierDaddy said:

Darius Garland out for the season. Tough blow for the kid. So much for Vandy breaking out. Can't see it now. Also, he did tear his meniscus. That's typically a 6 week timeframe. This makes me believe he is not going to take any chances and will go pro after this year. 

Sorry for the young man...really bad news for Bryce Drew. Drew is a terrible defensive coach, and without lottery level talent he is completely screwed IMO.