Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

Former IU assistant coach Steve McClain violated the Illinois State Ethics law 2-years ago but very fuzzy if it was accidental or intentional.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/opinion/illinois-uic-steve-mcclain-coach-basketball-violation-ethics-conflict-interest-inspector-general-violation-rules/

2 hours ago, HoosierCoop said:

HIghtower was always classy and in control.  He was very impartial and fair regardless of the venue.

One of the greats!

Valentine on the other hand....

Yea, I kinda always breathed a sigh of relief whenever I saw Ed was doing a game. He is/was one of the best.

Former IU assistant coach Steve McClain violated the Illinois State Ethics law 2-years ago but very fuzzy if it was accidental or intentional.
https://chicago.suntimes.com/opinion/illinois-uic-steve-mcclain-coach-basketball-violation-ethics-conflict-interest-inspector-general-violation-rules/
Illinois has an ethics board?!? That's rich.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Interesting read about Mike Watkins' repeated off-court issues at Penn State and indirectly the question of why he's still on the team.

https://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2018/10/penn_state_mike_watkins_patric.html

That ******* had no business being a referee with all of the crap he pulled. I remember that game and Valentine was way out of line.

Yessir! I remember that game as well (was 15-16 yr old) I remember being worried that Bob was going to hit TV Ted bc he was so out of line

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

6 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Interesting read about Mike Watkins' repeated off-court issues at Penn State and indirectly the question of why he's still on the team.

https://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2018/10/penn_state_mike_watkins_patric.html

Chambers knows that if he removes Watkins from the team, he is out on his arse.

Nah because most players of high caliber will be taking a pay cut all things considered. It won’t be good for the NBA either as the free marketing of college basketball would be missing for top players before the draft.

I have learned two things from the recent higher compensation from the G-league announcement:

1. A lot of NBA/CBB fans are younger than I am and can't remember a time when the best high school players went to the NBA and therefore the NCAA will be just fine, and

2. People are really underselling the value for an 17-18 year old to be coached by some of the best basketball minds in the country. 

10 minutes ago, Andowen1990IU said:

I have learned two things from the recent higher compensation from the G-league announcement:

1. A lot of NBA/CBB fans are younger than I am and can't remember a time when the best high school players went to the NBA and therefore the NCAA will be just fine, and

2. People are really underselling the value for an 17-18 year old to be coached by some of the best basketball minds in the country. 

I would argue that the highest of the high level coaches in college are better than the G-league 

Another thing that may deter one n dones going to the G League is that they'll be facing grown grown men without any guaranteed playing time compared to most likely getting starters minutes and making a highlight reel playing vs kids their own age where they may have 6-8 tough games a year. An article I read about this said the average age of a non contracted player in the G League is 25. They're not gonna play kindly.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Another another thing that will deter is the popularity of D1 basketball players with the women-folk. It’s a much more appreciated status and high quality endeavor on a college campus than in Sioux Falls or Fort Wayne as a GLeague guy that isn’t old enough to get into a bar.

Slave labor while getting free schooling, free traveling, free food, free bed, free marketing.

Top notch coaching, strength and conditioning coaches, food, stipends, BMOC status, etc..

And they still have the choice to skip that to get paid immediately, yet most CHOOSE to attend college for a handful of months.