Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

5 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Agreed 100%. There was no reason to have been worse in year 3 than in year 2. That right there was a good sign that Crean wasn't the guy. It seems like his willingness to come when no one else would bought him a lot of good will that caused people to overlook his deficiencies for a while. 

I thought he went from 8 to 10 to 12 win seasons. At any rate he should have had us trending a lot better before Cody came to Bloomington. 

3 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Out of curiosity can somebody remind me of the recruits that Sampson had lined up?

Devin Ebanks and Terrell (Tu) Holloway. We were still waiting on Kevin Jones, Nolan Dennis and Lance Stephenson to commit. I think Jones was an IU lean once Ebanks committed.

4 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

Had he kept on some of the returning scholarship players and retained recruits and filled in gaps with some experienced transfers and jucos we could have remained a respectable team but that’s not what happened

That said, looking at the more recent scenario, Archie retained the entire team and recruiting class and avoided a massive setback. We lost Cujo in-season but 1 transfer under a coaching change isn’t bad. Now we are poised to hopefully be back in the tourney in year two

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Crean did retain 3/5 of the recruiting class Elston, Roth, Pritchard.

Gordon and DJ White went to the draft

Dakich kicked off Thomas and Ellis, Crean upheld it, for good reason.

Holman and Crawford both transferred (Holman followed an asst that got a head coaching gig). Edit: forgot about Bassett.

McGee Transferred and appeared not suited for the B1G anyway,  based on his subsequent stops.

And ALL but Gordon and White seemed to prefer Mary Jane to classwork and probably shouldn't have been retained. Remember the 19 f's on Sampson's roster?

23 minutes ago, TXHoosierDaddy said:

Especially Xavier since they landed Crawford as a transfer. Ohio didn't do too bad either. Bassett was a nice pickup as a transfer as well. 

Detroit got Eli Holman who did pretty well there and also Ray Jr. was considered a big IU lean. 

And of course he never made it, but Bud Mackey was going to fit perfectly with the culture Sampson was creating.

3 hours ago, HoosierHoops1 said:

Crean did retain 3/5 of the recruiting class Elston, Roth, Pritchard.

Gordon and DJ White went to the draft

Dakich kicked off Thomas and Ellis, Crean upheld it, for good reason.

Holman and Crawford both transferred (Holman followed an asst that got a head coaching gig). Edit: forgot about Bassett.

McGee Transferred and appeared not suited for the B1G anyway,  based on his subsequent stops.

And ALL but Gordon and White seemed to prefer Mary Jane to classwork and probably shouldn't have been retained. Remember the 19 f's on Sampson's roster?

really 2 different situations as far as players are concerned. I don't know what Louisville has lost besides some incoming recruits, but IU lost everything basically.

I'm not going to rehash what happened 8-10 years ago but there is a whole lot more to the story of why it took so long for IU to rebound and it is not all Crean's fault. Those discussions were tired and worn out back when Crean was still here let alone now. Yet, some can't go a week without interjecting Crean into any discussion. Some behave almost as though Crean wronged them personally and others seemingly are constantly on the lookout for something to complain about. 

Great post! Are there really people complaining Crean kicked the players off that were failing school and/or violating team rules by doing illegal drugs?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Great post! Are there really people complaining Crean kicked the players off that were failing school and/or violating team rules by doing illegal drugs?Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Maybe. It really boils down to it taking 3 miserable years to rebuild, then the frustration of on again off again success from that point forward.

21 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Maybe. It really boils down to it taking 3 miserable years to rebuild, then the frustration of on again off again success from that point forward.

It was definitely 3 miserable years, but as precarious as the roster was, the loss of Maurice Creek can't be overlooked.

16 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I honestly don't disagree that Creek would have helped immensely but Crean's teams always seemed to have some sort of an excuse and often it was injury related.  That is why you don't back end your roster with Aprils, Prillers, Gelons, etc.

Having guys like Damezi Anderson, Clifton Moore, and Forrester at the end of the bench should help us in many regards, including more competitive practices.  I am beyond fascinated to see how Archie handles the bench this season and to see how the players respond to their lack of playing time.  

Right. Everyone talks about only going an 8 or 9 man rotation, but it sure helps a team when 10-13 can contribute if called upon, and of course makes for higher quality practices.

Just now, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Heard today that Purdue does personality profiling tests to vet out recruits and to help them decide which recruits would be good fits with their program.

Do all schools do this?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Interesting. Makes sense is a 5 star worth it if they are going to be a bad teammate?  Would explain why Purdue just stops pursuing some recruits 

Heard today that Purdue does personality profiling tests to vet out recruits and to help them decide which recruits would be good fits with their program.

Do all schools do this?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Weird. For the most part what they do has worked for them. I can’t see a high end recruit going through that unless the end result is always “You are a perfect fit for us.”