Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

IMG_0966.thumb.jpg.27611999b0fe12e17da6c05f50e4c607.jpg

Sounds like much of the stuff that’s been going on will be legalized. I’m ok with it.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I like the changes. If a player gets undrafted he should have the option. Also the coach should as well. Curious to see how the first situation is handled where a player leaves against the head coaches advice and they fill that scholly.

I like the changes. If a player gets undrafted he should have the option. Also the coach should as well. Curious to see how the first situation is handled where a player leaves against the head coaches advice and they fill that scholly.

Free Agency!

Free Agency!

But the crazy part will be it will be an underclassmen. Will it really be like that? Say a random freshman guard goes undrafted from Duke. His spot won’t be there. He can’t play immediately and wants to go pro. I envision there won’t be a ton of change on that front. NBA or Europe. A coach can’t wait til mid June to not fill his roster. But it’s good to have the option for sure.

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

IMG_0966.jpg

Sounds like much of the stuff that’s been going on will be legalized. I’m ok with it.

Don't like this at all. Makes it way tougher on the coaches, and like already mentioned there will be an outcry when players are continually recruited over...

So will that player have to sit a season if he goes to a different school? I would think yes... so a player that believes he is good enough for the NBA but doesn't get drafted then has to sit out the next season (assuming the original school doesn't keep the scholly open). Or if they cut an incoming recruit to keep the original player.... 

At some point these "kids" need to learn there are consequences to any decision made in life, and you have to weigh the options ahead of time. There are no do-overs (well i guess there are now)

Mike Davis with an interesting staff at UD...

Tracy Dildy, former head coach at Chicago State and I believe worked for Davis as an assistant at UAB (also assistant at places like DePaul, Auburn and Ole Miss). Chicago guy.

Rod Strickland – Longtime NBA player. Was in an administrative role under Cal at Memphis and worked at USF as an assistant for 3 years.

Also hiring Mike Davis Jr.

On paper, at least, it would appear to be a staff with some recruiting chops. Nothing in terms of local background, though, which makes me wonder if UD is going to continue to cede Michigan kids at their level to Oakland and go a bit more national in scope.

Edited by VeevlandBrowns

But the crazy part will be it will be an underclassmen. Will it really be like that? Say a random freshman guard goes undrafted from Duke. His spot won’t be there. He can’t play immediately and wants to go pro. I envision there won’t be a ton of change on that front. NBA or Europe. A coach can’t wait til mid June to not fill his roster. But it’s good to have the option for sure.

This was the exact scenario Calipari just discussed on ESPN that he wants to know what the NCAA will do. Shockingly he isn’t the biggest fan since he may now have to wait until the end of June.

22 minutes ago, VeevlandBrowns said:

Mike Davis with an interesting staff at UD...

Tracy Dildy, former head coach at Chicago State and I believe worked for Davis as an assistant at UAB (also assistant at places like DePaul, Auburn and Ole Miss). Chicago guy.

Rod Strickland – Longtime NBA player. Was in an administrative role under Cal at Memphis and worked at USF as an assistant for 3 years.

Also hiring Mike Davis Jr.

On paper, at least, it would appear to be a staff with some recruiting chops. Nothing in terms of local background, though, which makes me wonder if UD is going to continue to cede Michigan kids at their level to Oakland and go a bit more national in scope.

Mike Davis is gonna do real well at UD. I look forward to seeing what they do. He seems to win at these small schools

Wisky fans have to be thinking what if. Herro is going to be really good for some years for Kentucky. From the game today he impressed me the most out of Kentucky’s freshman. That one will sting Wisky fans for a while

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Wisky fans have to be thinking what if. Herro is going to be really good for some years for Kentucky. From the game today he impressed me the most out of Kentucky’s freshman. That one will sting Wisky fans for a while

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Agree. Kentucky has tremendous pull. They rip kids from home universities from all parts of the country. It's quite annoying.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Just read through the summary on InsidetheHall. There's a lot more to it and the penalties for violations look like they could sting just a little more.

https://www.insidethehall.com/2018/08/08/ncaa-announces-major-rules-changes-in-college-basketball/

Honestly they’re a big waste of time. They can make up all the rules they think are needed, but it does no good when they aren’t enforced. The NCAA is a joke when it comes to enforcement. This was no more than a temporary bandaid so they can claim they’re trying to “fix” things.

5 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

I guess if a coach doesn’t want a player back maybe they should just be allowed to go wherever they want

The whole sit out a year to transfer needs to be gone. You get 5 to play 4 and athletes should be able to move just like coaches. 

The whole sit out a year to transfer needs to be gone. You get 5 to play 4 and athletes should be able to move just like coaches. 

I don’t like that. Free agency of College basketball would be out of control. Any halfway disgruntled kid would transfer.

19 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I don’t like that. Free agency of College basketball would be out of control. Any halfway disgruntled kid would transfer.

They already go thru it picking colleges out of high school. Now you have hardship cases, 5th year grads so why stop there? If an athlete explodes and wants to transfer up or the opposite, they should be treated just like any coach who wants to leave. Should a student athlete be treated any different than any other student?