Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

UConn Releases The Alleged NCAA Violations As A Reason To Not Pay Kevin Ollie $10 Million

Well, the Kevin Ollie/UConn fight just took another twist. When UConn fired Kevin Ollie for ‘just cause’ most UConn fans started getting excited because it meant Danny Hurley was on the way. But, now it’s turned into a fight for about $10 million that UConn isn’t paying Kevin Ollie.

Now it can lead to some violations. Granted, this isn’t a huge thing like paying players, etc., but UConn will face some NCAA allegations. 

Ollie facilitated a call between a potential recruit and former UConn All-America Ray Allen, who is now considered a booster by the NCAA. When confronted with the call, Benedict alleged that Ollie denied the call was prearranged. In addition the call was not made on Ollie’s phone but on the cellphone of his executive assistant from Ollie’s house. Benedict said using another employee’s phone “further suggests that the call deliberately occurred in a covert manner.”

Ollie got a close personal friend named Derek Hamilton to train some of the players off campus in 2015-16. Several players participated in after-hours, on-campus workouts with Hamilton as well as off-campus workouts. Three players traveled to Atlanta to train with Hamilton and the players were fed, transported and housed for free — all considered NCAA violations. The letter said one of the parents of a player who went to Atlanta even called Ollie to ask if the trip was permissible. Hamilton, reached by The Courant Wednesday, said, “I have nothing to say about that. I have not talked to the NCAA and I don’t really know what’s going on.”

Benedict also said that Ollie failed to report any possible NCAA violations as was his responsibility. “Every violation I am raising was discovered from sources other than you or your staff,” Benedict wrote, adding that in one instance Benedict found out about the impermissible tryout through the media.

The major one there is the allegation involving Derek Hamilton. That’s a somewhat serious NCAA violation as you can’t set up free training sessions and travel for players. If that’s the case, UConn could face something somewhat small like loss of practices or vacated games – which outside of 2014, I think all of UConn fans would be cool with.

This isn’t going to get resolved any time soon, so expect a lot of back and forth here between the two sides. The NCAA has yet to put out any sort of announcement regarding this and they will have to go over 900+ pages to look at everything. I’d be surprised if we hear much before the end of summer.

Ollie was one of the more liked players in UConn history before taking over for his former coach Jim Calhoun. He immediately led UConn to a national title on the back of Shabazz Napier, but ultimately his time at UConn felt underwhelming. He went just 127-79 while missing the NCAA Tournament 4 times- 1 of which UConn was ineligible for. This past year was ultimately what led to the firing – and UConn was able to use the NCAA investigation as just cause. Ollie went 14-18 this past season and there started to become a louder voice from the UConn fans about replacing him with someone and that he only won with Calhoun’s guys. Ultimately, UConn did just that and got their top guy in Danny Hurley.

Strong rumor at this point, but apparently there's a move to ban coaches from attending July AAU events starting in 2019.    This from Zagoria:  Source on July AAU changes: ‘NCAA- certified individual regional camps at large D-1 schools will be the substitute.  Apparently schools are bidding to host the camps.’

More on this -

DgTc7VQX0AEnHqV.jpg:large

On 6/15/2018 at 5:01 AM, Gahoosierfan said:

Mike Davis has taken the head coaching job at Detroit Mercy. He has been at Texas Southern. 

I grew up as a little kid on the U of D Titan bandwagon. I can now start rooting for them again, for the first time in a long time. 

Back in the late 1970s, there weren't many college basketball games on TV, especially on week nights. But if you watched Channel 7 Action News at 5:30 p.m. in Detroit, you'd see U of D highlights from the night before, back when Vitale and Duerod and Terry Tyler and those guys were doing their thing. It made an impression on me. Seemed like a happenin' place.

I'm surprised how many jobs Davis has lost. Every time I see him coach a game, he seems pretty darn good to me. 

Fife's Indiana team was good because it was good on defense first and foremost. That's a sign of good coaching. Anyone can lose out in the Indiana pressure cooker, but I'm surprised he didn't gain traction somewhere else.

Detroit might have stumbled onto a good hire, here. 

Older coaches who operate at cruising speed sometimes gain a second coaching wind at the mid-major level. He'll need some help from good assistants, but this could work.

12 hours ago, VeevlandBrowns said:

I'm surprised how many jobs Davis has lost. Every time I see him coach a game, he seems pretty darn good to me. 

Fife's Indiana team was good because it was good on defense first and foremost. That's a sign of good coaching. Anyone can lose out in the Indiana pressure cooker, but I'm surprised he didn't gain traction somewhere else.

Detroit might have stumbled onto a good hire, here. 

Older coaches who operate at cruising speed sometimes gain a second coaching wind at the mid-major level. He'll need some help from good assistants, but this could work.

I like Davis and was hopeful things would work out for him at IU. I think he was just in over his head and the pressure eventually got to him. I don't think he had the management skills to build a program, nor did he seem to hold his players accountable. Once Knight's players were gone, the fundamentals and improvement really went downhill. I can't say that I've followed him closely enough to know what kind of system he is currently running, but he was always trying to run pro sets when he was at IU.

I hope he has success in Detroit, but I kinda thought he had the perfect job where he was.

https://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2018/06/25/coach-k-i-have-no-plans-to-retire/
I know I have a thread on here which I can start up again but what a surprise. Sorry to Brad Stevens and Co. 

He has to say that for recruiting. When he retires it will be sudden.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

57 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

He has to say that for recruiting. When he retires it will be sudden.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

OR announce it the year before and try pulling one last monster class of one-and-dones? "Last chance to play for Coach K" could be an attractive selling point.

13 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

intestering article.  This isn't the first story like this about coach K either.  Duke can still point to the fact that he was a #7 draft pick and sell that aspect of it.  

College basketball is so tough.  Taking superstars from High school and trying to get them to gel together especially in one season.   The Bagley commitment would be the biggest factor here, because Carter would have been the go to big guy if Bagley didn't join.  Bagley was better so it made sense to feature him but it was "shady" recruiting in more ways than one.