Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

Lavar already blew Lamelo's eligibility by putting out that BBB shoe and having him star in a commercial.  So whatever required courses and "book work" may have been standing in the way for him to play for UCLA are no longer an issue.  

I hope his homeschooling teaches him Russian or Chinese or French, since he's going to have to go somewhere for at least a year if he wants a career and shot at the NBA.  Now he's just baggage, and will be uncoachable.  At least he'll have his own signature shoe.

8 minutes ago, HinnyHoosier said:

I had a long-winded comment in response, all of which would agree. But I'm tired. Got halfway through and deleted it, so I'll just give the Cliffnotes version:

SELFISH MORON FATHER.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Lavar is very far from a moron. 

And I doubt Lamelo sees his dad as selfish when Melo's a 16 year old kid whipping a Lambo. 

And I doubt Lamelo sees his dad as selfish when Melo's a 16 year old kid whipping a Lambo. 

He's a moron by the standards of parental integrity, and that's at the very least.

He's not a moron when it comes to working the media and public eye. Example: Here we are talking about him at 9am during the work week.

1 minute ago, HinnyHoosier said:

He's a moron by the standards of parental integrity, and that's at the very least.

He's not a moron when it comes to working the media and public eye. Example: Here we are talking about him at 9am during the work week.

I don't think we have any evidence that he's a bad parent or doing things that harm his kids. 

I don't think we have any evidence that he's a bad parent or doing things that harm his kids. 

So far your argument seems based on the material results of his parenting style and behavior.

Like I said earlier, I'm tired. We'll close this can of worms before it gets opened.

If my observation above is the measuring stick we're going to use in this discussion, we're having the wrong discussion.

2 minutes ago, HinnyHoosier said:

So far your argument seems based on the material results of his parenting style and behavior.

Like I said earlier, I'm tired. We'll close this can of worms before it gets opened.

If my observation above is the measuring stick we're going to use in this discussion, we're having the wrong discussion.

I'm just not sure why you believe that he's a "moron by the standards of parental integrity". Like, how did you reach that conclusion?

6 minutes ago, HinnyHoosier said:

You have to ask?

Yes. He's raised three high character young men in Chino Hills. That doesn't happen by accident. 

I've seen a lot of people say that he's just "making money off his kids." Is he, or is he building a brand for his kids? Lavar was rich before "Big Baller Brand" was ever a thing. I don't think he's doing this for himself. 

47 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Whipping a  Lambo?  Is that like "rollin', in my 5.0 with the ragtop down so my hair can blow. The girlies on standby, waving just to say, "Hi!" Did you stop? No, I just drove by"

Well, most recently he taught a 16 year old he can quit school because daddy doesn't like the coach. There's a positive life lesson.

Yes, he has excelled in providing material advantages for his kids. It's my opinion, however, that such "excellence" stops right there. Let's continue agreeing to disagree.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Most kids that are handed everything to them turn into real losers.

If the material things are all that matters then I had the worst parents in the world. How dare they make me show respect, do my school work, do chores, and earn money if I wanted to buy something. Those monsters.

While no one asked (no one cares, more than likely), has he so far produced seemingly positive children who do not outwardly/overtly send young children in appropriate signals or poor messages?—yes. To me, that would go in the ‘good parent’ category. Is he setting his students up to succeed according to ‘majority standards?’—absolutely.

Do I like the way he’s going about it?—no; but simply because his parenting style and personality I s different than it will be with my young child does not immediately make him a moron or wrong in my eyes.

While no one asked (no one cares, more than likely), has he so far produced seemingly positive children who do not outwardly/overtly send young children in appropriate signals or poor messages?—yes. To me, that would go in the ‘good parent’ category. Is he setting his students up to succeed according to ‘majority standards?’—absolutely.

Do I like the way he’s going about it?—no; but simply because his parenting style and personality I s different than it will be with my young child does not immediately make him a moron or wrong in my eyes.

Your first point, while it holds a little water, is made of a very small sample size. Those kids are 19, 17, and 16... They're not men yet. One is a young adult, sure. I'm not saying any of them is bound to screw the pooch in a major way, but for the sake of both our views why don't we give it time and see how it goes.

Again, I feel like success by the 'majority standards' reference is vague and likely refers to material gain. My focus is on teaching his/our youth about character. At this point, again, it's a small sample size regarding his kids. I understand it's largely immeasurable because we'll mostly see what they want us to see in the media.

Like you, I don't agree with his methods. When people/kids see the arrogance and egotism equaling material success, what route might they be most tempted to employ I their own lives? Young people today lack humility, accountability, and service to others. Mr. Ball personifies a level of egotism that nears the antithesis of such qualities.

Maybe some people read into "moron" differently than I had intended. You may substitute with, "loud mouth", "ego-feeder", or anything else that displays how ridiculous he can be. And I'll put a hold on my inclusion of his parenting on my original comment. It seems TBD at the moment.

Sorry mods, didn't intend to get a sub thread going. I'll be quiet now