Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

"Instead, I spent months on a recruiting rollercoaster with Will and his family. Then Indiana’s Tom Crean showed up. He sat through 10 minutes of our open gym, offered Will a scholarship"

Lol classic Tom Crean. 

"Then Indiana’s Tom Crean showed up. He sat through 10 minutes of our open gym, offered Will a scholarship, went back to Bloomington and he and his staff went to work, consistently and precisely recruiting him. They recruited Will like they absolutely needed him and they did it from that open gym until signing day. 1,120 career points, a Big10 Title, a few Big10 individual accolades and a game winning NCAA tourney shot to send IU to the Sweet 16 later and Coach Crean looked pretty smart. He knew what he was looking for, he saw it, and he pounced…decisively and consistently."

Full quote. 

"Then Indiana’s Tom Crean showed up. He sat through 10 minutes of our open gym, offered Will a scholarship, went back to Bloomington and he and his staff went to work, consistently and precisely recruiting him. They recruited Will like they absolutely needed him and they did it from that open gym until signing day. 1,120 career points, a Big10 Title, a few Big10 individual accolades and a game winning NCAA tourney shot to send IU to the Sweet 16 later and Coach Crean looked pretty smart. He knew what he was looking for, he saw it, and he pounced…decisively and consistently."

Full quote. 

That's Crean. Doesn't change the fact he offered after 10 minutes of open gym. Same type story as Young Hoetz the Flame Thrower. I'd like our coaches to do a little more due diligence before committing 4 years of a scholarship.

Will turned out great for us. Some gambles did, some didn't.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

12 minutes ago, hoosierpap said:

Full quote. 

I'm aware of the full quote, and I'm aware of Sheehey's career here too. I just didn't know the story of how he was offered a scholarship and I found it funny because Crean had a history of offering kids almost right after meeting them. I mean, 10 minutes of an open gym was all it took for him to pull the trigger. Sometimes it worked out like it did with Will, but other times not so much. 

Crean had a knack for finding lower ranked recruiting gems, but he seemed to always be obsessed with finding the next one and it led to him taking a lot of risks. For every home run he hit he'd have several strikeouts and it was never consistent enough. I wasn't trying to be deceitful by only quoting what I did, and I apologize if it seemed that way. That part specifically just made me chuckle so it was all I included.

I digress though before this goes too far off topic. This topic has already been beat to death far too many times lol. 

http://thebiglead.com/2017/08/01/50-best-players-in-college-basketball-for-2017-2018/

Rojo is in the top 50 of the list what surprises me is that Joel Berry isn't higher than where he is and he for UNC ends up being MVP of the final game and yet he's 25th. There are some big ten guys from other teams that didn't make the list.

http://thebiglead.com/2017/08/01/50-best-players-in-college-basketball-for-2017-2018/
Rojo is in the top 50 of the list what surprises me is that Joel Berry isn't higher than where he is and he for UNC ends up being MVP of the final game and yet he's 25th. There are some big ten guys from other teams that didn't make the list.

Tough list. Hard to mix in Frosh. Not bad.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Ohio State recently got a visit and is trending for Elijah Weaver (6'4" PG comp #36).

This is an example of why I worry Phinisee won't be enough. This would be a beastly matchup disadvantage. Or maybe not, but it doesn't appear on paper to be the way to gain an advantage over our foes.

Ohio State recently got a visit and is trending for Elijah Weaver (6'4" PG comp #36).

This is an example of why I worry Phinisee won't be enough. This would be a beastly matchup disadvantage. Or maybe not, but it doesn't appear on paper to be the way to gain an advantage over our foes.

I think it's a bit overrated in college. I don't see many guards posting up their defender. It might come into play with switching but it would regardless of size. Can Phinisee get around Weaver and finish or pass at the rim?

I think it's a bit overrated in college. I don't see many guards posting up their defender. It might come into play with switching but it would regardless of size. Can Phinisee get around Weaver and finish or pass at the rim?

Comes into play in rebounding, seeing over defenses. Switching. Finishing at rim. Reach for steals. Boxing out. Shooting outside shot with confidence of not being blocked.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners