Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

John Calipari is about to become the first coach of a USA Basketball squad to lose a game since Paul Hewitt (now a NBA scout) in 2011.

@draftexpress

Rj Barrett put on a clinic for Canada until he fouled out. 38 pts 13 reb 5 assists

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

1 hour ago, Uspshoosier said:

John Calipari is about to become the first coach of a USA Basketball squad to lose a game since Paul Hewitt (now a NBA scout) in 2011.

@draftexpress

Rj Barrett put on a clinic for Canada until he fouled out. 38 pts 13 reb 5 assists

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Maybe this will cause a change in how the coach and players are selected in the future.  Have already seen multiple comments about Slimeball not necessarily taking the best players but rather his own recruits or kids he's trying hard to recruit.  Hopefully the backlash is strong enough to bring about a genuine change in the process.

Maybe this will cause a change in how the coach and players are selected in the future.  Have already seen multiple comments about Slimeball not necessarily taking the best players but rather his own recruits or kids he's trying hard to recruit.  Hopefully the backlash is strong enough to bring about a genuine change in the process.

Just a few tweets I saw and I'm sure there are hundreds more. I would hope it would impact recruiting but we all know it's about connections.

Completely agree. It's a great situation for those kids who are truly one and done. They go to Lexington where they live in top notch dorms, have great publicity from ESPN, play against other kids who are interested in the same path, schoolwork is tertiary to basketball and other interest, etc.

Cal is a perfect fit for that school as both are conning the system. It will be interesting to see if the G League develops into a true farm system for the NBA. If they start paying more than they can get in Lexington Cal might be running to something new.

The whole thing pisses me off. Boeiheim, Williams, Calipari, Pitino, all have this too big too fail, untouchable air about them and it's disgusting. They should all be barred from coaching and have everything they've accomplished wiped from the books. They have completely ruined the game we all love and the worthless NCAA has allowed them to do it

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

8 hours ago, schoosier said:

Very few things sports related could please me more than Louisville losing 1 and UNC up to 3 banners. Esp after Brand decimating our program after too many phone calls.

Our problem was we self reported the phone calls and got more than Louisville did. 

2 hours ago, OliviaPope40 said:

Our problem was we self reported the phone calls and got more than Louisville did. 

The NCAA is sending a clear message... Lie, deny, plead ignorance, and look the other way is better than coming clean and fixing your mess. Well, as long as you're making them a lot of $$.

The NCAA is sending a clear message... Lie, deny, plead ignorance, and look the other way is better than coming clean and fixing your mess. Well, as long as you're making them a lot of $$.

The Size of the Pot
Basically, March Madness is the NCAA’s bread and butter. College athletics’ governing body will earn somewhere around $900 million in revenue from the tournament, representing about 90% of its annual revenue. On the surface that seems like cause for outrage, especially in light of how much the players earn: nothing.

This was from an article this March. Why would the NCAA punish the big dogs that pay their salaries.

http://www.investopedia.com/articles/investing/031516/how-much-does-ncaa-make-march-madness.asp

1 hour ago, bigrod said:

The NCAA lacks subpoena power so if you don't snitch on yourself it's a lot harder for them to punish you. Unfortunately lying pays off.  

NCAA clears Texas’ Mohamed Bamba

Incoming Texas big man Mohamed Bambawas cleared again by the NCAA after allegations surfaced from his half-brother Ibrahim “Abe” Johnson that Mohamed accepted cash and gifts from a financial adviser.

“After evaluating all available information, the NCAA determined the assistance Greer Love provides to Mohamed Bamba does not violate rules,” the NCAA said. “Bamba remains certified by the NCAA Eligibility Center.”

In a recent Facebook video, Johnson accused Love of providing Bamba money, vacations, and other extra benefits while steering him toward certain colleges with the aim of working with him later. (Bamba in May chose Texas over Kentucky, Duke and Michigan.)

Johnson said that he hoped to become an NBA agent himself, and that he had intended to pursue graduate studies at Texas to that end while Bamba was in school. He said that while Bamba initially supported the idea of his brother joining him, he eventually told Johnson not to come to Texas. Johnson then apparently went public with the video as an act of retribution.

“He’s not going to play this year in the NCAA because I already reported him to the NCAA and I’m already going to meet with the NCAA,” said Johnson, a former basketball player at Division II University of Montevallo. “He’s not going to play this year. I’m not going to lie to you. I exposed that kid.”

The 6-foot-11 Bamba is projected as the No. 4 pick in the 2018 NBA Draft by DraftExpress.com.