Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

2 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

I disagree. You take the Final Four and Title banner down and essentially that pisses boosters off more than a suspension or a firing. Pitino would never have been able to be proven directly responsible. This is probably the harshest penalty in NCAA basketball in the last 50 years. You don't remember the games as much as the record books after a few years. This is huge.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I guess I just see it differently. I'm not going to magically forget UL won that title because it says vacated, and I would venture to guess a lot of others won't either. 

As far as Pitino goes, I think boosters would be more upset with their future team success being in doubt without its title winning coach and loss of scholarships.

I guess I just see it differently. I'm not going to magically forget UL won that title because it says vacated, and I would venture to guess a lot of others won't either. 
As far as Pitino goes, I think boosters would be more upset with their future team success being in doubt without its title winning coach and loss of scholarships.

You don't have to magically forget it. A team that was ineligible won it. Therefore they don't get to celebrate it. Recruits over the next few years won't remember them winning it. They can't point to that banner. This hits them harder than a 10 game suspension or even a year suspension. There is no precedent for someone not being directly linked to get more than what he did in NCAA basketball. I am surprised they got as much as what they did.

My phone is acting dumb but looks to me like they are already using all 13 for the 2018 season and we're going to need people to leave early. 
Their ability to build a winner just took a hit. We should really sell that to Romeo 

Absolutely. They can hope a couple of kids leave early but they really got their hands tied with the scholly reduction.

2 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

You don't have to magically forget it. A team that was ineligible won it. Therefore they don't get to celebrate it. Recruits over the next few years won't remember them winning it. They can't point to that banner. This hits them harder than a 10 game suspension or even a year suspension. There is no precedent for someone not being directly linked to get more than what he did in NCAA basketball. I am surprised they got as much as what they did.

That's fine, and I see your point. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one though 

Just now, mdn82 said:

No. Essentially this is what we were on for years after Sampson. Doesn't mean much unless something bad happens.

Ah I see I couldn't tell what they meant by that too bad it wasn't the tournament and the conference tournament. 

3 minutes ago, NCHoosier said:

I'm pretty sure the scholarship reduction was in reference to the previously imposed self sanctions.

According to the ESPN article, the NCAA accepted the self imposed post season ban, but will face additional scholarship reductions and recruiting restrictions.

6 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

Absolutely. They can hope a couple of kids leave early but they really got their hands tied with the scholly reduction.

They already have two 2018 recruits committed.

I'm hearing that the games he will be sitting out for are home games against Virginia, Pittsburgh, and Duke along with road games against Notre Dame and Georgia Tech. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/acc/2017/06/15/rick-pitino-suspended-five-games-ncaa-sanctions-louisville/399271001/

Now they need to do the same to UNC. The NCAA is not one to use the therm indefinite that term has been used so many times in college basketball season that I don't even know the actual definition anymore and we've used it for injuries and crimes of immaturity but then look at the outburst on that display of childish behavior. 

1 minute ago, reconmkd said:

According to the ESPN article, the NCAA accepted the self imposed post season ban, but will face additional scholarship reductions and recruiting restrictions.

They already have two 2018 recruits committed.

That puts them at 13 if nobody leaves early.  They may have to Crean some people just to get to the number. This is huge for us. If Romeos parents really want to go to games its U.S. Or UK so fingers crossed they really to hate them. 

ESPN is the only outlet reporting additional scholarship bans. I can't find that wording in any other article, but most of them reference the scholarship bans from the self-imposed sanctions.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2715863-rick-pitino-suspended-5-games-louisville-on-probation-for-prostitute-scandal

Just now, NCHoosier said:

ESPN is the only outlet reporting additional scholarship bans. I can't find that wording in any other article, but most of them reference the scholarship bans from the self-imposed sanctions.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2715863-rick-pitino-suspended-5-games-louisville-on-probation-for-prostitute-scandal

Somebody posted something in the Langford thread saying it was 4 scholarships reduced. 

These penalties are better then I expected, but less then I hoped.

Vacating wins, meh. 5 game suspension? Meaningless. I wanted post-season bans and large scholarship cuts, THAT is punishment. Not the current kids fault? Sorry, stay out of the sewer and you won't get slimy. A coach pimping for players is disgusting and has to be punished.