Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

Why are we not playing in this thing again??

The harsh truth is... we're just not elite anymore.

It's a shame that a team like MSU is playing in it, instead of us.

The harsh truth is... we're just not elite anymore.

It's a shame that a team like MSU is playing in it, instead of us.

The Maui Tourney is a huge tournament, and is an honor to play in. Not sure why you seem upset by this. You can only do this tournament every so often, and everyone jumps at the chance to play in it.

I'm looking at it like Kansas did both.. Why can't we?

Champions Classic? Is that what we're talking about?

If I recall from last year, there was a conflict with us doing both the Crossroad Classic and the Champions. I don't remember what it was, but it was not just the temporal aspect. Since we are committed to Crossroad for another like, 5 years, they had to pass over us to the next "Champion".

Or it was just a time issue but they needed a long-term commitment and we had the conflict. I know it was definitely Notre Dame and Butler's fault.

Champions Classic? Is that what we're talking about?

If I recall from last year, there was a conflict with us doing both the Crossroad Classic and the Champions. I don't remember what it was, but it was not just the temporal aspect. Since we are committed to Crossroad for another like, 5 years, they had to pass over us to the next "Champion".

Or it was just a time issue but they needed a long-term commitment and we had the conflict. I know it was definitely Notre Dame and Butler's fault.

True. We were never invited into the Legends Classic (MSU, KU, UK, Duke). We were invited to the Champions Classic (Louisville, UCLA, UK, Ohio State)  and turned it down bc of a conflict with the Crossroads, or not wanting to do both so close to one another.

True. We were never invited into the Legends Classic (MSU, KU, UK, Duke). We were invited to the Champions Classic (Louisville, UCLA, UK, Ohio State)  and turned it down bc of a conflict with the Crossroads, or not wanting to do both so close to one another.

I'm still not scrolling back all the way to figure out which one we are talking about.

Didn't we play in the Legends Classic like 3 years ago? We beat Georgetown and won the whole thing?

Or is this still a different one? Champions classic is the one you're calling Legends. It's definitely KU, UK, Duke, and MSU. I don't remember what the one with OSU is called. That's the one we conflicted out of that was based on banners. I mixed them up until you mentioned Ohio State. That should really be the one called "champions" since it's based on championships.

We ended up cut out of the Champions because it was formed at a bad time for us. Those four teams really wanted to play some games but no one would agree to a home-and-home. So, they made a neutral site "classic". It was still while we were really bad, 2009 or 2010, so no one wanted to invite us to anything. As far as I know, prestige or history of the program were not factors in the decisions. Just four basketball teams on the top of their game looking for a way to get some sweet sweet basketball into November.

You have the names switched. 

The Maui Tourney is a huge tournament, and is an honor to play in. Not sure why you seem upset by this. You can only do this tournament every so often, and everyone jumps at the chance to play in it.

The Maui Tourney I think is contracted years in advance. It's kinda wonky.  I think we got our invitation the year we beat UK and everyone thought "we were back" for good!

I remember reading somewhere that UK and some other schools actually turned down the Maui Tourney in place of other domestic tournaments.  Lemme see if I can dig up an article or something.

Update: https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=kentucky%20turns%20down%20maui%20invitational

Looks like they turned it down back during April 2013.  Mentioned traveling being a burden. /shrug