Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
IU Hoosier41

Yogi Ferrell Discusses Indiana's recent events

Ferrell did a media blitz this evening with local news channels in Indiana.  Here are some of the comments to Fox 59 transcribed via Jordan Littman of InsidetheHall.

“We, the Indiana basketball team, have let down our fans, family and friends and those before that have made Indiana basketball what it is today. We are embarrassed by our actions. Even I have made mistakes and I’ve owned up to those mistakes.

“And me being a leader of the team, I have to hold guys more accountable for their actions and what their actions can do to this program. Coach Crean has emphasized to us that the decisions that we make have to be good decisions and us being adults, we have made bad adult decisions. We have taken full responsibility for these actions.

“Now that these actions have come out, all we want to do is go out and play basketball. We will want our family and friends to support us as much as we can and we just want to go out there and play the game that we love and that’s the game of basketball.

“The reason why it’s so easy to make the decision that we make is the society we live in today. It’s not like it has been before where no one else did that. Now it’s our society and generation that’s open to so much more and just different types of things. We just make decisions that are just impulse decisions, I feel like.

“I say the root cause is the entire team ourselves. It has nothing to do with the coaching staff. The coaching staff is great. They get us ready for each game, prepare us as much as they can. I feel like it’s with the team. We don’t hold each other accountable. Coaches always tell us that we gotta make sure we’re brothers. We’ve got to have each other’s backs, basically and we haven’t been doing that.

“I learned a lot. I learned that now I’m doing actions as if, if I’m by myself, someone is watching me. I feel like I’ve turned a leaf and I’ve learned from it and told other guys that are going to make bad decisions not to do it.”

The content he said is great.  I just hope he believes every word he said.  It's a big opportunity for Yogi to step up and take control of himself, then take control of the team.  I'm hoping he sees the opportunity that has been put in front of him and capitalizes on it.

He has a chance to turn his image and the entire image of Indiana Basketball around over the next few months.  If Yogi wants to be a rockstar in the state of Indiana, he better practice the words he just preached.

Ferrell did a media blitz this evening with local news channels in Indiana.  Here are some of the comments to Fox 59 transcribed via Jordan Littman of InsidetheHall.

Add it to the collection...

"I apologize for letting down my family, coaches, teammates and fans and truly regret the mistake I made. This is something I have to learn from, use better judgment and I have a responsibility as a leader on this team to make sure nothing like this happens again." (Yogi Ferrell 4/25/14)

"I'm very sorry for my actions. I know I have embarrassed my family and this program and have let a lot of people down. I have no excuses for the mistakes I made and I take full responsibility for them." (Stanford Robinson 4/25/14)

"Devin is not only a teammate but a great friend and it pains me to know that I have caused him harm. I sincerely regret my actions and I understand that I must be held accountable to the high standards that Coach Crean and IU have set for all of us.

“I want to apologize to Coach, to my teammates and to the entire IU community for not living up to the expectations that this program and university deserve.  I will work hard in the coming days, weeks and months to become a better man and teammate.”
 (Emmitt Holt 11/3/14)

Couldn't find one from Perea's arrest.

But hey -- it's all going to be different this time, right?

Don't get me wrong, I give Yogi props for being the one to go out and speak up on the subject at a time when so many eyes are on the program waiting for the next official statement from somebody other than a blogger or a writer. The question is sincerity. And I think this time he sees it and wants to make a different. But I really could've gone without contributing a reason for their decisions to "society today" ..can't be making excuses at this point. Also emphasizes a sign of weakness that they're what? Falling to peer pressure or something? I don't get it. But as for the rest of his statements, props to him for stepping up and I hope to see him lead the team and the team in general cleaning up their act.

I'm getting more excited for basketball already just thinking about it. I believe in them. They can do it!

wanted to hear some degree of specificity and what these mistakes are you can no longer make.  saying we have to be accountable, stop making mistakes and just need to focus on basketball -- duh.  I've lost count how many times I've been unimpressed by our media relations staff, whether it's a quote, website content, press release, delayed announcement, etc.  perhaps I'm too meticulous.

I'm in the minority on this specifically but I appreciate him for coming out and apologizing for his teammates recent actions, it's the first step nonetheless. Just as I give props to Crean for taking phone calls yesterday during his interview. Just as I give props to the former players for coming out and expressing their feelings towards what's come out. And just as I give props to Dakich for coming out and giving his take on the whole thing

I'm in the minority on this specifically but I appreciate him for coming out and apologizing for his teammates recent actions, it's the first step nonetheless. Just as I give props to Crean for taking phone calls yesterday during his interview. Just as I give props to the former players for coming out and expressing their feelings towards what's come out. And just as I give props to Dakich for coming out and giving his take on the whole thing

You're giving out a lotta props, friend!

I hope these guys get it together and learn from their mistakes. I don't know O.G. and Morgan personally, but they seem to be high character guys. IMHO CTC is an average coach on the court, but I don't completely blame him for these transgressions. Everybody makes mistakes. The players should accept the consequences/punishment (whatever that might be) and move forward.

You're giving out a lotta props, friend!

Just saying I trust him on this one as crazy as it sounds. It was a lot of BS I'll admit that, but I have a feeling that this is his wake up call