Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

DocLibby

IU Basketball Team Dealing With Epidemic of Poor Choices by Players Who Should Know Better

Nice thoughtful post for sure.  Coach Crean's job should not be however, to "change character."  That's all part of performing due dilligence in the recruiting process. 

That is what Indiana University basketball has stood for for decades if not longer.  Should we not want to keep that high level and contiune to be the standard bearer for what is good with IU sports, specifically basketball?

At what point does being responsible for a team turn in to babysitting? Not arguing Crean lost control of his team, but as the title suggests, these guys know better. When you're 18, you should no longer need someone to steer you in the right direction. When you're going to school to play a game for free, you no longer afford the right to be a normal college student. I have debt from IU that will take years to pay off. I would have shown a hell of a lot of restraint to not be in this position financially that's for sure. 

As a parent we do our damnedest to instill that the moral compass always points north. At some point we have to step back and let the kids make their own decisions and hope what you have taught them, honor and personal integrity, shine through in their decision making. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't.

It's not a parents fault. It's not a coaches fault. Who made the choice? Take out the extraneous info, basketball players, college kids, peer pressure, etc. All of that stuff now scraped to the side. Who made the choice? Life is full if choices. Millions of them. Make the right ones and it minimizes risks and maximizes potential.

At it's core it's the young man's fault:

But the repercussions of those bad decisions affect many, many around them, including the adults who did not appropriately supervise them on campus, and the mental stress that is put upon their families.

I agree that it is the kids fault, however if there was basically zero penalty for previous bad decisions, why would the players think there would be a major penalty for future ones?  If the penalty is sever enough, the temptation will drop to commit the act.  Also if there is a strong leadership amongst the players in the locker room they will not want to let each other down and that is what has happened.  

What we are seeing is partly the result of a revolving door of new kids being brought in and not having a strong core group to instill how things should be done

I'm on a laptop and not a phone, so maybe the thread title reads differently on the main page to other users. 

It's so long that it was shortened to "IU Basketball Team Dealing with Epidemic of Poo…"

Yeah noticed that too............ was about to post the same thing, and you beat me to the punch

I wish I could post this across all boards. I have noticed that several conversations drift back to Yogi and his bad decision and whether or not he paid his dues. All punishment is not and does not need to be played out in the national media for the satisfaction of the fans. Just because you don't see it, doesn't mean it's not happening. He is still paying for it over six months later. Besides, the public does a great job of helping with his punishment in its own way. Every time someone brings up the incident I get a twinge which to Yogi is more like a stab. We know he was wrong and he's still paying the price EVERY SINGLE DAY.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Thanks for posting. I'm sorry you and the rest of the parents suffer due to the high profile nature of the team. Go kick Yogi's butt into high gear for us.

I wish I could post this across all boards. I have noticed that several conversations drift back to Yogi and his bad decision and whether or not he paid his dues. All punishment is not and does not need to be played out in the national media for the satisfaction of the fans. Just because you don't see it, doesn't mean it's not happening. He is still paying for it over six months later. Besides, the public does a great job of helping with his punishment in its own way. Every time someone brings up the incident I get a twinge which to Yogi is more like a stab. We know he was wrong and he's still paying the price EVERY SINGLE DAY.

Well said. Well heard. Being the "face" of a program as large as IUBB is a daunting challenge. He is just now a Junior and was the face of the program as a Sophomore! I sang his praises as hard as anyone, as I thought his play last season was dynamic. I nit picked some things here and there, but have always wanted to root for "yogi". I am in his corner through and through. I hope I am fortunate enough to get to see 2 more collegiate years of Yogi at IU.

I trust you have, and everyone else has handled the off the court issues and look forward to our nasty 3 guard lineups this year.

It's true that the specifics of consequences don't have to be made public.  However, without those specifics, what the public IS seeing is that whatever punishment Yogi got from the program wasn't significant enough to prevent other players from engaging in similar behavior.  That's why you're going to see the public calling into question whether or not Yogi's punishment was sufficient.  It absolutely may have worked to keep Yogi from personally repeating his mistakes, but part of the purpose of punishing an individual who is a part of a group is to deter others in the group from engaging in the same behaviors.  The fact that it didn't in this case isn't Yogi's fault, but that's why you're going to see his punishment from the team being questioned by the public.

It's true that the specifics of consequences don't have to be made public.  However, without those specifics, what the public IS seeing is that whatever punishment Yogi got from the program wasn't significant enough to prevent other players from engaging in similar behavior.  That's why you're going to see the public calling into question whether or not Yogi's punishment was sufficient.  It absolutely may have worked to keep Yogi from personally repeating his mistakes, but part of the purpose of punishing an individual who is a part of a group is to deter others in the group from engaging in the same behaviors.  The fact that it didn't in this case isn't Yogi's fault, but that's why you're going to see his punishment from the team being questioned by the public.

My question is how does Stan keep screwing up without being shown the door? I think he is the poster child for Creans deficiencies as it relates to where he's in serious trouble. That and keeping all of these failed drug tests under wraps will be his undoing.

The way i see it: I'm done with pointing fingers and asking, "what if"? It's time for a fan packed Assembly Hall and to have the team and coach come apologize....or at least say, "we messed up". Let us prove to you that we are going represent Indiana University from here until i graduate. Indiana, we are all for you". The coach can say something like, If something else happens, i'm outtie. If we don't make the tourney, i'm outtie. I think that would quell some of the burn at the stake mentality that has surfaced. We all get what we want. A team that is face-to-face with the fans (or at least 17k) and they are promising to do all they can to make things right. And the fans can give back their commitment to hang in there.

As you can tell, i have downed a couple of brews to kill the pain of all of this.

I have to believe this is all behind us, i want everyone else to believe this as well. I love this team....and everyone that has worn the candy stripes before them. Coach Crean is STILL MY COACH, and i want him and the team to succeed in basketball and more importantly, in life.

Can't someone talk to Coach Crean and the team and make this happen? videos, tweets, social media just don't cut it. Unless there is an in-person come to jesus, people just won't have the faith.

now, back to my pity party