Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

Stan and Troy suspended for failed drug tests..

These are college kids at one of the best schools in the nation for parties. They are surrounded by hot girls, weed, alcohol,etc.  IT'S NOT SURPRISE THAT THEY WILL SLIP UP AT SOME POINT. ITS LIFE..

But to be a member of IU basketball, a storied program, you MUST make smart choices. IT'S IU..

IT'S IU..

People are dreaming. Stevens is NOT coming here. If Crean goes, so does all the talent on our roster and we are screwed for the next few years as far as recruiting. What coach is going to want to come into that situation??

Stevens nor any of the top coaches will come here NOW. That's why you do the Davis thing and elevate McClain to interim head coach with the stipulation this isn't a try out. You have all year to recruit "your coach", namely Brad Stevens as he is missing his wife and kids for all of 82 overnights this year. The baggage of firing Crean is gone and not palpable. Worse case see what happens in college ball this year...watch the top coaches. Talk to Woodson, Wittman, Smart and all the other coaches with IU ties in the NBA. Let me tell you this pond is stocked, and we will land a trophy. If its handled right; and now is the right time for the above I have mentioned. Better times soon ahead.

Stevens nor any of the top coaches will come here NOW. That's why you do the Davis thing and elevate McClain to interim head coach with the stipulation this isn't a try out. You have all year to recruit "your coach", namely Brad Stevens as he is missing his wife and kids for all of 82 overnights this year. The baggage of firing Crean is gone and not palpable. Worse case see what happens in college ball this year...watch the top coaches. Talk to Woodson, Wittman, Smart and all the other coaches with IU ties in the NBA. Let me tell you this pond is stocked, and we will land a trophy. If its handled right; and now is the right time for the above I have mentioned. Better times soon ahead.

Brad Stevens signed a 6 year contract worth way more than he would receive here. All reports point to him being happy in Boston. Woodson, Wittman, and Smart, while great hoosiers, have been terrible coaches in the NBA. Woodson had  a good season or two. Wittman had a decent season last year and thats been his best year in the NBA.  None of those options you mentioned would be better than we are now. Stevens just isn't happening, people need to get over that already

So, taking a step back to "culture of a program" stuff now.  How much of this whole thing is due to the situation Crean was in where he needed to bring in the big recruits though there wasn't much on-court success sustained from year to year (at least not in the NCAA tournament when it seems to matter the most) and needed to retain them?  Is this a case where he was afraid to come down on the team too hard because he was afraid it would hurt recruiting and retention ("Why would I want to go and play for this guy who is going to run this program like a monastery?")?  Can you afford to be more of a hard-@ss when you're winning?  If he had threatened to kick a player like Yogi off the team for whatever, what happens if Yogi threatens to transfer?  At the end of the day, your contract pays you to coach basketball games and the best job security out there is winning.  Unfortunately, it's a balancing act.  If your players see you blink too many times, they'll feel like they can do whatever they want...but if you never blink and there's nothing else compelling the players to stay, they'll leave. 

I'm not really asking a question or any kind -- just throwing some thoughts out there (and if you've read any stuff that I've posted, you'll know that I'm one of the last people around here who will defend Crean of anything -- I've said for some time that he has double standards when it comes to discipline for different players...and the fact that he hasn't said anything about Yogi being suspended for his alcohol-related offense just continues to confirm that).

The majority of the students, including me, are against the players that have gotten in trouble with sympathy going to Holt. Many are shocked and saddened by Troy's news considering he was one of a handful of players that the students enjoyed and thought highly of. Lots of talk around campus.

Being an I.U. basketball fan since birth in '71, I cannot begin to fathom what I.u. basketball has become. Why do all these kids nowadays think they are doing this program a favor by wearing that INDIANA jersey? We have become the Miami U of basketball. 

The majority of the students, including me, are against the players that have gotten in trouble with sympathy going to Holt. Many are shocked and saddened by Troy's news considering he was one of a handful of players that the students enjoyed and thought highly of. Lots of talk around campus.

The little bit I've been around Troy, he's seemed like a genuinely good dude. Unfortunately, I can tell that he gets sucked into whatever situation the guys around him are in. It doesn't excuse him, but when you hear stories from the players about their parties every day during class, it isn't surprising in the slightest.

Brad Stevens signed a 6 year contract worth way more than he would receive here. All reports point to him being happy in Boston. Woodson, Wittman, and Smart, while great hoosiers, have been terrible coaches in the NBA. Woodson had  a good season or two. Wittman had a decent season last year and thats been his best year in the NBA.  None of those options you mentioned would be better than we are now. Stevens just isn't happening, people need to get over that already

Pitino was a horrible NBA coach; so was Calipari. Larry Brown had is best success at Kansas. What do they have in common? NCAA chamionships. The logic just doesn't compute and my facts prove it. Put any of the above I mention as head coach and they will succeed far greater than Crean. They bled for IU; but the biggest reason is they know what it takes to get to the next level and recruits are listening. And, Stevens would come. We take that 12 mil buyout we now dont have to pay and use it for Stevens. Even Boston knows its his dream job.