Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

Devin Davis injured/Emmitt Holt cited for DUI

Of course we have hearts and minds on these kids.  This however is idiotic.  This should never happened after the Hanner incident. Period. You lay down the law when it comes to issues of drinking and driving. Others lives could have easily been involved.  I let go of it the first time, second time I get ^$^$^.  It should have not come to this.  

You realize that Crean could lay down the law all he wants... and this could still happen. It could happen tomorrow.

Of course we have hearts and minds on these kids. This however is idiotic. This should never happened after the Hanner incident. Period. You lay down the law when it comes to issues of drinking and driving. Others lives could have easily been involved. I let go of it the first time, second time I get ^$^$^. It should have not come to this.

This doesn't seem to be a drinking and driving issue beyond the legal definitions. If his BAC were at a dangerous level, above .08, I'd agree with you. You can blow a .025 after drinking one beer.

I agree that these kids need to learn that there is no legal grey area. It's very black and white, but every single college kid has broken this law at some point whether is right or not.

Hanner was suspended FYI

What, for like one game? I'm talking off the team. Earn your way back. He was slapped on the wrist. We all know it, just some are wearing crimson colored glasses and want to win. Drinking and driving KILLS! And everyone can say .02 is nothing to justify an IU player drinking underage, it is illegal and now someone was hurt.

First off, obviously hoping that Devin recovers from whatever injuries he sustained. That's the only real issue here. The rest are just talking points.

Now to the talking points. There is a culture problem with this program. Not just this team, but this program, because crap like this has been going on with Crean's teams since just about when he got here. I know, they're college kids and everyone in college drinks and parties and does dumb stuff, but these guys should know that they're living under a microscope and need to hold themselves and each other to a higher standard. Crean has done a great job on the classroom front, but has failed miserably to implement accountablility in other areas, such as this. Most college kids drink. Not many get arrested for it. Four guys on this team alone have been arrested for it within the last year. Then factor in Remy and rumors of other guys partying during the NCAAT the other year, and this looks like a complete mess.

FWIW, I think that Crean's seat is now on fire, because this indicates a serious lack of control in his program. Yes, he can't babysit these guys every second of their college lives, nor should he have to, but everything that goes on with this team ultimately falls on his shoulders. While everyone wants this team to succeed, many are also keeping an eye on that buyout and when it becomes reasonable. IMO Crean just lost himself a year with this. Winning aside, this isn't what the IU fanbase wants from their program.

I don't care about drinking and getting drunk, but theres is a distinction when someone goes behind a wheel.  After the Hanner incident, this should be repeated into these kids heads that gong behind the wheel is the tipping point and will not be tolerated. 

I pray and hope these kids are OK. This goes beyond basketball, it's about accountability as well when you risk others lives.  I don't care what % of alcohol you had.  Bloomington is a small enough campus where you can easily walk to or take a cab home.

You realize that Crean could lay down the law all he wants... and this could still happen. It could happen tomorrow.

Anything CAN happen, but if players knew there was a chance they would be off the team and lose a scholarship as opposed to sitting one game and running laps, maybe one of these 4 that have been busted for drinking would think twice.

This doesn't seem to be a drinking and driving issue beyond the legal definitions. If his BAC were at a dangerous level, above .08, I'd agree with you. You can blow a .025 after drinking one beer.

I agree that these kids need to learn that there is no legal grey area. It's very black and white, but every single college kid has broken this law at some point whether is right or not.

I agree that tons of kids have done this.  It's not fair on these kids, but they are held to a higher standard, because they influence the actions of other students as well.  

This frustrates me on so many levels. First as a big Devin Davis fan, I pray all goes well for him. Second it's a week before the season starts and we are now down two players one of which (DD) we kind of needed this season. And Third, I understand that Crean can't be expected to babysit them, but there needs to be something done as a coach. This isn't the first time alcohol has been an issue in the last year. When someone ends up getting hurt, something needs to be done by the coach to make sure this doesn't happen again.

Anything CAN happen, but if players knew there was a chance they would be off the team and lose a scholarship as opposed to sitting one game and running laps, maybe one of these 4 that have been busted for drinking would think twice.

Fair enough. Hanner's incident was the most concerning. That's a different scenario than fake ID's or what occurred last night.

Taking issue with the alcohol related incidents is 100% valid as a complaint. But I think everyone needs to separate alcohol from last night. It didn't play a role in the accident.

It played a roll in the sense that an 18 year old kid who had alcohol in his system got behind the wheel and ran over his teammate. BAC doesn't tell the whole story, because many 18 year old kids who are new to alcohol can react as if they're drunk after two beers, but physically there isn't a lot to show for it during a breathalyzer.

Kicking a kid out of school and taking away his entire future over one mistake is an absurd penalty. To say that should be on the table for an alcohol related incident is way overboard

I think it may be best for Emmitt to transfer at this point. This is a traumatic thing to happen to any 18 year old kid who is just starting out college, let alone an Indiana University basketball player who is now all over the internet, and has just embarrassed himself and the program. If I was the coach he would be off the team. If he'd want to stay at IU to continue his education that's one thing (after facing a disciplinary hearing with the IU administration), but in terms of suiting up and representing this program on a national stage? No.