Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

Devin Davis injured/Emmitt Holt cited for DUI

I really don't see this as any more than a freak accident, and I don't really think anyone did anything horribly wrong.  Yes, Emmitt should be smarter and not get behind the wheel even though he only a beer or two.  That has nothing to do with this incident though.  He didn't hit Devin because he had two beers.  I also don't think it's egregious for college kids to stay out until 12:30 on Halloween and have a social beer or two.  It's a night where everyone is out having fun.  Sure there was a scrimmage today, but it's not like they were getting hammered and partying until 3.  

I get with the incidents from last season people will have their questions, and I'm really not trying to make excuses.  But if we won 30 games last year I doubt anyone is here talking about Crean losing control of the program.  

Just my two cents.  Praying for Devin to make a speedy recovery.

5 players if I recall correctly with alcohol related incidents in the year 2014. My issue isn't the drinking because most every college athlete does but why these extracurricular incidents are happening bringing media attention is concerning to me. Just be smarter. I hope DD will make a fast recovery we are going to need him this year. Our thin front court just got 2 players thinner for now.

Yogi is our captain too.

I would not be at all surprised if Yogi was one of the members in the car with Holt. He seems to be involved in all of these situations in the past year. He has to get this team under control and himself under control. Crean can't be accountable to be following these guys around 24/7. Yogi can be accountable.

Prayers are with the Davis family.

Not pointing you out, but having issue with Hanner's deal is certainly reasonable, even though he was disciplined severely.

I just don't know what all these fans mean by having control; what kind of discipline needs to be enforced so that these things don't happen? I don't know what control the coach is supposed to have I guess... Crean has his hand on everything that goes on in the program. What else is there to do... very, very poor decisions made by several players. Sure, he's responsible as their coach. But what exactly is he supposed to do is my question...

Five words- Kick. Him. Off. The. Team.

Want to let him "work his way back", whatever. But I don't call suspending one game severe. Oh, I'm sure Crean had him do other things, but the only thing these guys understand is taking away the only thing they love, playing ball.

Crean is limited, and forcing all the players to live on campus this year is a start. But unchecked questionable behavior can be a cancer in any organization.

I really don't see this as any more than a freak accident, and I don't really think anyone did anything horribly wrong. Yes, Emmitt should be smarter and not get behind the wheel even though he only a beer or two. That has nothing to do with this incident though. He didn't hit Devin because he had two beers. I also don't think it's egregious for college kids to stay out until 12:30 on Halloween and have a social beer or two. It's a night where everyone is out having fun. Sure there was a scrimmage today, but it's not like they were getting hammered and partying until 3.

I get with the incidents from last season people will have their questions, and I'm really not trying to make excuses. But if we won 30 games last year I doubt anyone is here talking about Crean losing control of the program.

Just my two cents. Praying for Devin to make a speedy recovery.

I agree, this is probably a freak accident, but in light of the past year, it looks different.

In response to the 30 wins and no one complains, I'll spin it different just to stir the pot:

If this incident would have happened at Purdue or Kentucky, would there be this many IU fans giving the " all college kids drink, there's nothing to see here"? Or would they be destroying Painter and Cal of lack of control?

I know I'm brining up my own experience a lot here, but it's what I have to draw on. As I've said in this thread, when I played I severely cut back on my drinking during the season (usually only when we had an off day the next day), and I almost always kept it to having people over at my own apartment as opposed to going out. Even when I was over 21 I wouldn't go to the bars, except for rare occasions, during the season. If I did go to the bars in season it was always when we had an off day the next day.

We were always instructed by our coach that we were targets. He knew guys were going to drink, but we were always instructed that we were targets and we had to be smart about it.

I don't think that's too much to ask for these guys, as they're much bigger targets than we were where I played.

5 players if I recall correctly with alcohol related incidents in the year 2014. My issue isn't the drinking because most every college athlete does but why these extracurricular incidents are happening bringing media attention is concerning to me. Just be smarter. I hope DD will make a fast recovery we are going to need him this year. Our thin front court just got 2 players thinner for now.

My computer doesn't let me link anything to BtownBanners but I did read elsewhere that Crean said the next 48 hours are crucial for Devin's condition. Also that Devin's parents have not allowed any information about his condition to be released. Both of these things lead me to believe the situation is more serious than we know. Because it is a head injury, I would feel much better if he was being treated up in Indy rather than in Bloomington.

My computer doesn't let me link anything to BtownBanners but I did read elsewhere that Crean said the next 48 hours are crucial for Devin's condition. Also that Devin's parents have not allowed any information about his condition to be released. Both of these things lead me to believe the situation is more serious than we know. Because it is a head injury, I would feel much better if he was being treated up in Indy rather than in Bloomington.

Thank you for this....one of the only ones who cares while reading the rest of these idiots argue....

I agree, this is probably a freak accident, but in light of the past year, it looks different.

In response to the 30 wins and no one complains, I'll spin it different just to stir the pot:

If this incident would have happened at Purdue or Kentucky, would there be this many IU fans giving the " all college kids drink, there's nothing to see here"? Or would they be destroying Painter and Cal of lack of control?

Personally, I wouldn't destroy Painter or Cal in the same situation.  The only incident I have a problem with is Hanner's.  That was very serious and I felt he should've been suspended longer.  I didn't have a problem with Yogi & Stans other than the fact that they were morons for trying to get away with it.

I know I'm brining up my own experience a lot here, but it's what I have to draw on. As I've said in this thread, when I played I severely cut back on my drinking during the season (usually only when we had an off day the next day), and I almost always kept it to having people over at my own apartment as opposed to going out. Even when I was over 21 I wouldn't go to the bars, except for rare occasions, during the season. If I did go to the bars in season it was always when we had an off day the next day.

We were always instructed by our coach that we were targets. He knew guys were going to drink, but we were always instructed that we were targets and we had to be smart about it.

I don't think that's too much to ask for these guys, as they're much bigger targets than we were where I played.

Would you have had a problem with a teammate having a beer or two on Halloween and getting home by 1 before a scrimmage?  Just curious.

A beer or two? No, not really. Minus the accident, that seems pretty harmless.

Personally, I wouldn't destroy Painter or Cal in the same situation.  The only incident I have a problem with is Hanner's.  That was very serious and I felt he should've been suspended longer.  I didn't have a problem with Yogi & Stan's other than the fact that they were morons for trying to get away with it.

Would you have had a problem with a teammate having a beer or two on Halloween and getting home by 1 before a scrimmage?  Just curious.

I just find that there's always an excuse from many IU fans about all of this stuff where some people think the players should never be held accountable for what they did.  For Hanner, it was "Well, at least he didn't hurt anyone when he was driving drunk."  For Yogi and Stanford, it was "Well, at least they weren't driving" and "Well, at least Yogi was ALMOST of legal age to drink." and "Well, at least we know that it was Little 500 weekend and they weren't alone." and "Well, at least no one got hurt."  Now, it seems to be, "Well, at least it was only a .025 -- that's barely a couple of drinks!" and "Well, at least it was still early in the night and they weren't out until 3:00 a.m." and "Well, at least it wasn't the night before a real game."  I'm starting to think that one of these players could go off and stab five people and we'd hear some of you say, "Well, at least he didn't use an illegal handgun."  

I'm also tired of the "glass houses" comments.  Guess what?  My house isn't glass.  I didn't drink underage in college.  I'm sorry if that means you don't think I was very "cool," but I had plenty to lose and nothing to gain by doing so, so I didn't do it.  Why do we seem to have player after player after player after player after player who can't exercise a little self-control by figuring out the same?  They don't have to drink to "impress" other people -- they're freakin' IU basketball players!!!  They could get any girl on campus and hang out with any guys they want to hang out with!  They have absolutely nothing to gain by drinking alcohol, but they can damage the reputation of a coach and of a program they supposedly respect if something goes wrong.  That's putting "self" above "team" and those of you who condone the behavior of underage drinking itself with things like "Everyone does it" and "If you can fight for your country at the age of 18...etc." still can't possibly condone the selfish attitude that these players are displaying by choosing to engage in that behavior, can you?!?!?

I would not be at all surprised if Yogi was one of the members in the car with Holt. He seems to be involved in all of these situations in the past year. He has to get this team under control and himself under control. Crean can't be accountable to be following these guys around 24/7. Yogi can be accountable.

Prayers are with the Davis family.

Wow, wow, wow, wow....... that is a humongous, like unbelievable leap in assumption to make. Some of you guys love just making astounding leaps like this

I can't disagree with that part, though I'm not sure that's a reasonable rule for college kids. Like I posted earlier, there's no reason to be out the night before a scrimmage or game, but I also think we need more facts, and also in what seems like more of a freak accident than anything else, not make Emmitt fall for the sins of other guys.

But again, we really need more facts before we make a ton of judgements.

I don't know that I'd be too excited for "more facts" to come out.  I don't see how "more facts" can possibly make this situation look any better -- right now, the "facts" are that Holt had a BAC above the legal limit when he hit Devin Davis.  Nothing is going to come out to take away those facts.  However, "more facts" may include info about the BAC of Devin Davis and info about who else was in the car (including whether or not they were drinking illegally as well). 

A fact could come out that Holt was not at fault and Devin darted out in front of him.

I don't know that I'd be too excited for "more facts" to come out.  I don't see how "more facts" can possibly make this situation look any better -- right now, the "facts" are that Holt had a BAC above the legal limit when he hit Devin Davis.  Nothing is going to come out to take away those facts.  However, "more facts" may include info about the BAC of Devin Davis and info about who else was in the car (including whether or not they were drinking illegally as well).

A fact could come out that Holt was not at fault and Devin darted out in front of him.

...which doesn't change the fact that Holt had a BAC of .025.  I don't think you're seeing anyone think that Holt did this intentionally.  I honestly believe that he wasn't at fault, and the exact same thing may very well have happened if he was stone-cold sober, but the fact is that this is another case of an IU player illegally using alcohol and no new "facts" will change that important one.