Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

Devin Davis injured/Emmitt Holt cited for DUI

Here's my issue, when do you hear of multiple alcohol related incidents with players at; UK,MSU, or Duke? Sure, class might not be attended, but they're staying out of trouble with the law. If Knight were here, would players who got OWI's and in law trouble not be in BIG trouble with the team (assuming they're still on it) ?? Cream doesn't enforce rules, yogi and hammer should have been made examples of, suspensions. Crean is spineless.

Here's my issue, when do you hear of multiple alcohol related incidents with players at; UK,MSU, or Duke? Sure, class might not be attended, but they're staying out of trouble with the law. If Knight were here, would players who got OWI's and in law trouble not be in BIG trouble with the team (assuming they're still on it) ?? Cream doesn't enforce rules, yogi and hammer should have been made examples of, suspensions. Crean is spineless.

ouch! Spineless? There were suspensions, just not long enough for my liking

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Too early to blame or to exonerate. This is time to pray and get more information. We will have time and more information later to figure out and discuss the details.

I guess I shouldn't have asked nobody to defend this but the bs last year and this dont look good but it is to early with not enough information just dont look good. I am so devastated right now I prob ain't posting anything that makes sense

But what if Crean gave a 12:30am curfew and the players actually were following the rules, as it appears this was a freak accident and they were on their way home?

But what if Crean gave a 12:30am curfew and the players actually were following the rules, as it appears this was a freak accident and they were on their way home?

if they were following the rules crean should have made a rule of no underage drinking even one beer makes a deal like this look bad. No beer a horrible accident. If u have one beer almost everybody looks at it different.

I can't disagree with that part, though I'm not sure that's a reasonable rule for college kids. Like I posted earlier, there's no reason to be out the night before a scrimmage or game, but I also think we need more facts, and also in what seems like more of a freak accident than anything else, not make Emmitt fall for the sins of other guys.

But again, we really need more facts before we make a ton of judgements.

if they were following the rules crean should have made a rule of no underage drinking even one beer makes a deal like this look bad. No beer a horrible accident. If u have one beer almost everybody looks at it different.

My thoughts and prayers are with Davis and Holt foremost. A few things pop into my mind considering this incident and the others.
- Crean really seems to pitch a clean wholesome experience to recruits. As a parent, I see this and think how could I send my child there. Will this effect our status with current verbals and prospects?
- Can getting in trouble with the law many times be considered lack of institutional control and face punishment from the NCAA?

nice leadership over the offseason, Yogi. Way to set a good example

Good grief, just when you thought this program couldn't be more depressing to follow. Prayers go out to Devin and hopefully Holt is dismissed

I think many of those that can't believe the guys were out at midnight the night before a scrimmage have forgotten what being an 18 - 20 year old was like.  Not excusing the accident, but that is a normal night for a college kid.  

Also for those saying Crean has lost control of the team.  that is possible, but college athletes drinking has been going on for a whole lot longer than Crean has been coach at IU.  Not to mention it is a scrimmage for goodness sakes.  If they were out the night before a game.  I might feel differently, but it is a glorified practice.

I'm not sure I agree with your first paragraph. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I played basketball in college, and while I did my fair share of drinking, I always made sure not to go out the night before games, scrimmages, etc. I of course had teammates that did go out nights before games, but I can tell you it definitely strained our team and caused major problems between guys. It's just a lack of respect for your teammates and coaches.

I think many of those that can't believe the guys were out at midnight the night before a scrimmage have forgotten what being an 18 - 20 year old was like.  Not excusing the accident, but that is a normal night for a college kid.  
Also for those saying Crean has lost control of the team.  that is possible, but college athletes drinking has been going on for a whole lot longer than Crean has been coach at IU.  Not to mention it is a scrimmage for goodness sakes.  If they were out the night before a game.  I might feel differently, but it is a glorified practice.

I'm always amazed at where some get the arrogance to post what Tom Crean does and doesn't do, what he is and what he isn't, as if they know the man.

And I'm amazed at how many just assume that Tom Crean doesn't discipline or didn't address Halloween and weekends like it with the team. Have you ever heard the man speak? Follow the program at all? It's the last thing from a renegade approach.

Where there is an issue is what BGleas is getting at. It's a complete shot to the jaw from the players to the coaching staff. Complete disregard of expectations.

Just a horrific event. No one knows the facts yet... and still we have some casting shots. I'd say it's unbelievable but IU fans lately have become pretty classless.

nice leadership over the offseason, Yogi. Way to set a good example

Good grief, just when you thought this program couldn't be more depressing to follow. Prayers go out to Devin and hopefully Holt is dismissed

Yogi is our captain too.

I'm always amazed at where some get the arrogance to post what Tom Crean does and doesn't do, what he is and what he isn't, as if they know the man.

And I'm amazed at how many just assume that Tom Crean doesn't discipline or didn't address Halloween and weekends like it with the team. Have you ever heard the man speak? Follow the program at all? It's the last thing from a renegade approach.

Not to nitpick, but using your logic that Crean addressed it all tells me he has lost control.

Once again, I LIKE CREAN AND WANT HIM TO BE OUR COACH. I just disagree with the way he handled Hanner and I think it may have snowballed from there.

Not to nitpick, but using your logic that Crean addressed it all tells me he has lost control.

Once again, I LIKE CREAN AND WANT HIM TO BE OUR COACH. I just disagree with the way he handled Hanner and I think it may have snowballed from there.

Not pointing you out, but having issue with Hanner's deal is certainly reasonable, even though he was disciplined severely.

I just don't know what all these fans mean by having control; what kind of discipline needs to be enforced so that these things don't happen? I don't know what control the coach is supposed to have I guess... Crean has his hand on everything that goes on in the program. What else is there to do... very, very poor decisions made by several players. Sure, he's responsible as their coach. But what exactly is he supposed to do is my question...

this is a nightmare.  hope dd makes a full recovery and holt finds a peaceful, rightly focused state of mind sooner rather than later.

crean has to do a better job of instilling discipline in his players and developing a business-like culture.  this program isnt a high-caliber aau team or something on the side, rather a lifestyle, one many, many care about and the players' guidance to adulthood and a career.  agree with bgleas, out drinking at midnight with practice and an event the upcoming morning is a lack of maturity and common sense, even it is a friday night on a party-hard campus.  most of that's on holt and davis, and some of it's on crean.  there's tons of fridays during your college career not under those circumstances when you can go out late and party.  hopefully this incident will serve as an extra harsh and effective wake-up call to the players and coaches.  obviously, a meeting has to happen asap and a strong message be delivered.

the academics are thankfully cleaned up, but the alarming rate of late-night incidents haven't gone away in crean's tenure.  underage drinking isn't a problem.  the lack of awareness that you and your on- and off-court actions as an iubb player represent this prestigious university and forethought to not put yourself in or create a potential predicament -- that's the problem.  you have a distinction as an iubb player but not superiority or immunity.  we need a leader that can ingrain these concepts, not to mention consistent construction of conference and national contenders.  I've been on the fence on whether crean is the right man for this job...I might've just been pushed one way.  he really knows basketball, is a classy individual and can speak with the best of them, but there's been so many disappointments.

yet another power punch to the gut of this program.  rational minds were already doubting it can return to what it was in its heyday, final season of that being 93-94.  that consistency of excellence has been absent in the past two decades and since 03-04, it's gone downhill in a hurry and been nothing more than a competitive division 1 program with one great year of a conference title and #1 ranking.  the flagship program of a diehard basketball state with such a tremendously successful history shouldn't be in this condition.

Reactions on campus are mixed. Almost everyone agrees Crean should go. Personally, I don't see how he could've predicted this but he should've made a bigger example out of Hanner. People aren't being extremely sensitive, calling Holt and Davis idiots etc. Hopefully Devin makes it out alright...

Bottom line this is absolutely crazy and not what we needed.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners