Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

Devin Davis injured/Emmitt Holt cited for DUI

Like making the decision to drink and drive and endangering others. There are consequences for actions.

And a kid is more likely to realize these consequences with influences around him to teach, like a coach. Emmitt and Hanner will be much better off with these influences around them then being thrown off the team

Update from Zach Osterman http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2014/11/01/indianas-devin-davis-injured-in-car-accident/18313535/

According to Bloomington Police Department Sgt. Jeff Canada, Holt dropped Davis off in the parking lot of Memorial Stadium at approximately 12:45 a.m. Saturday.

After Davis exited the vehicle, Holt turned back onto 17th Street, heading west. For an "unknown reason," Davis unexpectedly reentered the roadway and was struck by Holt's car, according to Canada.

Police responding to the accident found Davis unconscious north of 17th Street with an injury to his head, according to Canada. He was treated by ambulance personnel and transported to Bloomington Hospital. Canada could not say whether Davis had regained consciousness before being transported from the scene.

I agree with you here, BUT I didn't say that underage drinking is the problem. They're going to do that. My issue is underage drinking and driving. Just overall being stupid like this. It can be Crean's problem, but how stupid can these guys be?

I think we are on the same page here. Drinking and driving IS the biggest issue and that is a personal decision. But we were all young and invincible. We all though, and maybe still do, think that it won't happen to me. Just saying that they need something tangible to be taken away. Something that they understand and the only thing they understand is playing basketball.

And a kid is more likely to realize these consequences with influences around him to teach, like a coach. Emmitt and Hanner will be much better off with these influences around them then being thrown off the team

This is not a babysitting program.  I would not have gotten the same treatment, I might have been even suspended from school.  Tough #&*$ if you drink and drive.  This instance, we have to wait and see, but if he's kicked out off the team it's up to him to pay for his education like I did.

This is not a babysitting program. I would not have gotten the same treatment, I might have been even suspended from school. Tough #&*$ if you drink and drive. This instance, we have to wait and see, but if he's kicked out off the team it's up to him to pay for his education like I did.

No one is babysitting but personal development is certainly important. Would hate for a freshman to lose that over one mistake.

5]Update from Zach Osterman http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2014/11/01/indianas-devin-davis-injured-in-car-accident/18313535/

5]According to Bloomington Police Department Sgt. Jeff Canada, Holt dropped Davis off in the parking lot of Memorial Stadium at approximately 12:45 a.m. Saturday.

5]After Davis exited the vehicle, Holt turned back onto 17th Street, heading west. For an "unknown reason," Davis unexpectedly reentered the roadway and was struck by Holt's car, according to Canada.

5]Police responding to the accident found Davis unconscious north of 17th Street with an injury to his head, according to Canada. He was treated by ambulance personnel and transported to Bloomington Hospital. Canada could not say whether Davis had regained consciousness before being transported from the scene.

It may just be weird wording but found unconscious? Was he abandoned? Maybe I am just reading too much into it given that Emmitt was clearly cited by the cops

Way to demean student-athletes by saying the world doesn't need them and their majors you don't view as worthy.

Oh the poor athlete. Don't give me this crap. I am a father of a daughter that has carried. 4.0 her entire school career and now she is a soph in college going for nursing still carrying that 4.0. She has to work and scrape for every dollar to pay for her college. Busted her but all her life to go to a local state school. So, I'm suppose to feel sorry for an athlete at a major university that can't stay out of trouble? All they have to do is keep their nose clean and play ball. That's it. And 4 of them can't do that.

I'm going to skip Barbara Hershey's speech in Hoosiers, but after watching my daughter work her whole life it's hard for me not do demean an athlete that can't appreciate a full ride to one of he top universities in the country because he can play ball.

It may just be weird wording but found unconscious? Was he abandoned? Maybe I am just reading too much into it given that Emmitt was clearly cited by the cops

"police responded"...somebody called it in....

I still think there is a serious lack of leadership and accountability in this program.  Crean can't babysit them 24/7 (although as HC, everything ultimately falls on his shoulders), but there is a lack from somewhere.

Crean definitely can't babysit them 24/7, but don't we have upperclassmen who should know what's going on with these guys and can keep them from doing stupid things?  Or are our upperclassmen who were previously in trouble for some of the same things now hitting the bars themselves now that they're 21 and legal, leaving these younger guys to just figure stuff out on their own?  I just think there's a "me-before-team" attitude that's evident from a lot of these players when it comes to this off-court stuff.

Hope Davis is ok first off second off Crean has lost the kids an control of the program, it shows where these kids minds r when they r out drinking an partying before a scrimmage. Something needs to be done now before we end up losing everything. Cause what has been going on is no diff then what the kids were doing when Sampson was here.

I'm sorry he lost the team........... my god

I understand where you're coming from, but as someone that played college basketball, I've always hated the inference that the athlete didn't work extremely hard as well. I always had people say to me "you're so lucky, I had to work to get here". "You had it easy, you got a scholarship, I had to work hard and get good grades to get into college".

Well, there's a reason so few people play college sports, because it's extremely hard and you have to work your butt off to be that good. Hours in the gym, weekends at camps, tournaments, etc. Skipping things (parties, etc) that other kids are doing to workout, etc. Yes, there's some god given athletic ability involved, but that exists with kids that are naturally smart and good in the classroom as well.

Again, I hear where you're coming from, just wanted to present the other side. Also, congrats to your daughter, she sounds like a great kid!

Oh the poor athlete. Don't give me this crap. I am a father of a daughter that has carried. 4.0 her entire school career and now she is a soph in college going for nursing still carrying that 4.0. She has to work and scrape for every dollar to pay for her college. Busted her but all her life to go to a local state school. So, I'm suppose to feel sorry for an athlete at a major university that can't stay out of trouble? All they have to do is keep their nose clean and play ball. That's it. And 4 of them can't do that.
I'm going to skip Barbara Hershey's speech in Hoosiers, but after watching my daughter work her whole life it's hard for me not do demean an athlete that can't appreciate a full ride to one of he top universities in the country because he can play ball.