Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

Devin Davis injured/Emmitt Holt cited for DUI

just a small fact to bring to the table...

200lb man - it takes 18oz (1 and 1/2 cans) of beer in 1/2hour  to get to .025

Or, he had three or four earlier in the night and his BAC was going down.  This didn't happen at 10:00 p.m. -- this was "early morning."  Could he have been drinking Pepsi most of the night and switched over to having a beer-and-a-half right before he decided to drive?  Sure.  But the fact that 18 oz = .025 doesn't mean we can assume that 18 ounces was all of the alcohol he had to drink last night.

He never said kick the kid out of school.

Yes he did, off the team, lose a scholarship means out of school more than likely

Anything CAN happen, but if players knew there was a chance they would be off the team and lose a scholarship as opposed to sitting one game and running laps, maybe one of these 4 that have been busted for drinking would think twice.

Yes he did, off the team, lose a scholarship means out of school more than likely

Kicking him off the team is fair if it's decided. I would suspend them for an entire season if its me but not forever.  Kicking him off school is another matter.  Basketball comes second when you drink and endanger other lives.  

Or, he had three or four earlier in the night and his BAC was going down.  This didn't happen at 10:00 p.m. -- this was "early morning."  Could he have been drinking Pepsi most of the night and switched over to having a beer-and-a-half right before he decided to drive?  Sure.  But the fact that 18 oz = .025 doesn't mean we can assume that 18 ounces was all of the alcohol he had to drink last night.

no...we can't assume anything...I was bringing to light the rate at which a typical man achieves a .025...

Thoughts and prayers with Devin and Emmitt. What a terrible things to happen and I hope Devin is ok and injuries end up not that serious.

On this one, it's not even about the alcohol exactly, it's why do these kids think it's ok to be out this late when they have a public scrimmage the next day? That's a complete lack of respect for the coaches, their teammates and really the fans too.

Kids in college are going to drink and stay out late, I get that. I played college basketball too and did my fair share of drinking, but would never go out the night before games, scrimmages, etc. and usually I'd only go out if we had an off day the next day. It's just completely disrespectful. Save that stuff for the offseason or at least when you don't have a game/practice the next day.

Edit: my overall point still stands, but when I made this post I thought I had read the accident happened at 2:30am, it was actually closer to 12:30-12:45am which isn't that late for college kids, especially since it sounds like they were barely drinking and potentially were on their way home.

Kicking him off the team is fair. Kicking him off school is another matter. Basketball comes second when you drink and endanger other lives.

If you kick a kid off the team and he loses his scholarship you're effectively kicking him out of school. Yes he can still enroll at IU and pay his way but let's be realistic about what would actually happen. You make that decision as a coach and you're taking away the IU education.

As a coach you want to help these kids not kick them to the curb.

First and foremost, my prayers for Devin.

Second, underage drinking isn't a character issue. My problem with Crean on this is he never made the players accountable. Hanner should have been suspended at least, period. He basically got away with it. Same for Yogi and Stan. This "handling in house crap" is just that. Make the kid run extra laps and forget it. If the players saw REAL punishment to Hanner things may have been different.

I agree with you here, BUT I didn't say that underage drinking is the problem. They're going to do that. My issue is underage drinking and driving. Just overall being stupid like this. It can be Crean's problem, but how stupid can these guys be?

Kicking a kid out of school and taking away his entire future over one mistake is an absurd penalty. To say that should be on the table for an alcohol related incident is way overboard

Is it? Will the world miss another sports management major? Will he end up living under a bridge because he didn't get his sports management degree?

If it is laid on the table during recruiting that behavior like this won't be tolerated and can result in loss of scholarship people may think and act different. Boot one kid, just one, kids might think and act a little different.

And I want it said, I am NOT. A Crean hater. I want him to succeed. I like him. I just think he has handled these incidents wrong.

Thoughts and prayers with all involved first off.

Second, let's not be quick to blame anyone in this situation yet. Let things evolve before saying anything stupid.

My guess, if Holt was driving Davis then Devin was probably in far worse shape than Holt. Who knows how the accident happened, but it may not have been Holts fault at all.

Great point. I know I've caused plenty of issue for responsible sober monitors when I've been too drunk.

Hope Davis is ok first off second off Crean has lost the kids an control of the program, it shows where these kids minds r when they r out drinking an partying before a scrimmage. Something needs to be done now before we end up losing everything. Cause what has been going on is no diff then what the kids were doing when Sampson was here.

Full recovery "in time". Sounds like a lot of rehab may be needed, but thank God, it seems Devin will recover.

As a fan and an alum, I feel sick about this. Something needs to be done, ASAP, to prevent future incidents. Next time, a life may be lost.

If you kick a kid off the team and he loses his scholarship you're effectively kicking him out of school. Yes he can still enroll at IU and pay his way but let's be realistic about what would actually happen. You make that decision as a coach and you're taking away the IU education.

As a coach you want to help these kids not kick them to the curb.

Like making the decision to drink and drive and endangering others.  There are consequences for actions.  

Is it? Will the world miss another sports management major? Will he end up living under a bridge because he didn't get his sports management degree?

If it is laid on the table during recruiting that behavior like this won't be tolerated and can result in loss of scholarship people may think and act different. Boot one kid, just one, kids might think and act a little different.

And I want it said, I am NOT. A Crean hater. I want him to succeed. I like him. I just think he has handled these incidents wrong.

Way to demean student-athletes by saying the world doesn't need them and their majors you don't view as worthy.

My guess, if Holt was driving Davis then Devin was probably in far worse shape than Holt. Who knows how the accident happened, but it may not have been Holts fault at all.

That fact doesn't necessarily make things any better for those who think Crean has lost control and these players shouldn't be drinking (or at least not out in public where they can be arrested).  Davis isn't 21 either.