Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
Walking Boot of Doom

Calbert Cheaney

Calbert is my pick for Knight's best sleeper recruit of all time!  He was not so highly ranked due to injury---what a find!

And you know I have to bring up he's from Southern Indiana too!  :D :D

And---he is an even better person than he was a player---Humble Warrior!

Calbert is my pick for Knight's best sleeper recruit of all time!  He was not so highly ranked due to injury---what a find!

When Calbert was a senior and 1st team All American He didn't own a car.

Rode a ten speed around campus.

Wonder how many of this years Pay cats have 10 speeds? :no:

Also, Knight wanted nothing to do with Calbert. It was an assistant that did all the recruiting and begged Knight to give him a scholarship. Knight trusted his assistant and gave Calbert the scholarship

I love hearing about chance encounters with Hoosiers!!!!

He was real cool about it. I'm going to play basketball there every Monday since I'm out there for a project, so hopefully I get more chances to chat with him haha.

Also, Knight wanted nothing to do with Calbert. It was an assistant that did all the recruiting and begged Knight to give him a scholarship. Knight trusted his assistant and gave Calbert the scholarship

Haha, that former assistant was the head coach at UE at the time... a guy named Jim Crews. Jim called Knight to brag what a steal he was likely going to get in Calbert, Knight came down to see for himself and started recruiting him after seeing him play. The rest is history, all time big 10 scoring champion history.

I would love to see Calbert excel as a coach and then come back as a top assistant or even head coach some day. Not sure he has earned head coach yet, but he is on his way.

Not wishing Crean gone, but he will have a successor some day

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I would love to see Calbert excel as a coach and then come back as a top assistant or even head coach some day. Not sure he has earned head coach yet, but he is on his way.

Not wishing Crean gone, but he will have a successor some day

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Would love to see Calbert back at IU but I don't think this would be the place for him to get his start in head coaching. Im not saying thats what you said, but yeah

I like your Calbert story Woodson about the 10 speed!  I agree that the players I knew like Dean Garrett and Keith Smart did not get cars or other luxuries until AFTER they signed their pro contracts!  No cheating going on under Knight that I ever saw!

Take that UK---we won a National Championship the RIGHT way!