Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iufbfan19

Stop with the fire Wilson nonsense

I agree with 90% of your post. However, the QB situation IS Wilson's fault, 100%. What's the record for consecutive games, without a starting QB being named until game time? I'm not sure either, but I bet that Wilson holds it. You can only play that game for so long, before the kids get sick of it and transfer. Love him or hate him, he horribly mishandled that situation, and the result is our "one QB" team.

I agree with 90% of your post. However, the QB situation IS Wilson's fault, 100%. What's the record for consecutive games, without a starting QB being named until game time? I'm not sure either, but I bet that Wilson holds it. You can only play that game for so long, before the kids get sick of it and transfer. Love him or hate him, he horribly mishandled that situation, and the result is our "one QB" team.

I agree. He may get another year or two but this QB situation is on him.

Defense does look a little better. We can run well. The passing game is his specialty and even if you lose your starter you should be stronger here.

I usually refrain from coaching change recommendations, but I'm watching the Northern Illinois game and I've always liked Rod Carey. I thought I read somewhere that he had Indiana roots too. I might be wrong there.

I usually refrain from coaching change recommendations, but I'm watching the Northern Illinois game and I've always liked Rod Carey. I thought I read somewhere that he had Indiana roots too. I might be wrong there.

Rod played on the offensive line for IU under Coach Mallory in the early 90's. 

Honestly I struggle to truly see how the term "hot seat" really is all that applicable when it comes to the head football coach at IU.  Obviously we do fire that guy every few years.  That isn't to say the coaching moves are not always warranted, it is more of a statement of these things being done out of fan apathy rather than fan discontent.

Let me frame it this way, I became an IU football fan in 1987.  Within the 1986 to 1993 timeframe, IU went bowling 6 times.  The 1987 team seriously contended for the Rose Bowl.  The 1993 team ended up 5-3 in the Big Ten with two very close losses to Penn State and Ohio State.  So I came to Bloomington in the fall of 1994 feeling kind of upbeat about IU football and hoping to witness some good things.

On September 3rd of 1994 I attended my first home football game as a student.  We went up 7-3 early in the game against Cincinnati and the first thing I heard in the stands was some sarcastic "Rose Bowl, Rose Bowl" chants.  That team actually started out 5-1 and in my own personal experience, people kind of laughed at my enthusiasm.  The moment we lost to Northwestern at home that year (which little did we know, Gary Barnett's squad would win the Big Ten the next two years) the fan perspective instantly went back to "same old IU". 

I guess the point I'm trying to get at here is people act like we deserve better which look, I always want better for the football program but it is hard for me to shake the memory that even when we had it better, we did not appreciate it.  Maybe it isn't much of a point at all, but I wanted to share a bit of my own experience as a fan. 

Heard yesterday from someone fairly close to the program that even with the QB injuries, there's a good chance that Wilson gets fired without making a bowl.

Good. We need someone who's been a head coach before and been successful with limited resources, not another offensive coordinator that's all style and no substance. 

Whoa. Didn't expect that. Back to the beginning. :(

It's crazy. If hypothetically, Crean was fired in the spring too, then we would have lost 4 head coaches in what, 11 or 12 months? Even if not, if Wilson is fired at the end of the season it will be 3 in 8 months.

Rough time to be an IU head coach.

Anybody hear about Lance Leipold, the Wisconsin-Whitewater coach that got to 100 wins in 106 games? Has also won 5 Division III national championships?  I know it's not Division I Football but it's still impressive and shows a great ability to coach. Maybe he would take a shot at making IU into a winning program.