Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IU Hoosier41

How are recruits not committing left and right?

I honestly don't know how players aren't committing right and left. (I know I'm biased, but prove any of these points wrong)

Let's look at the Pros & Cons of Indiana Basketball right now:

Pros:

• #1 Team in the Country
  • Amazing and unmatched home court advantage 
  • Fun uptempo style of play
  • Coach Crean has shown to be demanding, but fair. Clearly can develop talent.
  • Games atmosphere even looks amazing on TV. No other team can match that. Other venues may be loud, but it's not Assembly Hall's atmosphere.
  • National Exposure - almost every game is on national TV
  • Press - IU gets a TON of press, even recruits can see that thanks to Peegs and Inside the hall always getting interviews with them. 
  • 3 year degrees. That is a HUGE recruiting tool I think. Most kids want to go pro early, so we have a program and fast track for them to graduate AND go pro should they have the skill set.

Cons- -

• Playing Time? IU is pretty locked and loaded. We are done with the days of a bunch of freshman coming in and starting. Some still will (Yogi) when they fill a need, but it won't be the norm.
  • Team first program- some players might not like that. (We don't want those kids anyway) 
  • HARD WORK - seems like a no brainer, but if you watch any practice, even a pregame shoot around the team is working hard and sweating. 
  • IU Fans, yes we can be a positive and a negative I know I'm biased, but it'd be impossible for me not to commit with all the positives in this program right now. Be a celebrity for 3-4 years and be set for life.

Did I miss any?

Kids will go where:

(1)  They start from Day 1

(2)  They play a vast majority of their games on NATIONAL TV so they can show what they can do.

(3)  The track record for going to the NBA in the first round is established.

(4)  Their academic road is "manageable" ( whether that means it's done for them or at least easy for them).

Anything else for these "diaper dandies" is secondary.

It takes a kid with realistic attitudes and the ability to work hard to come to IU...........my two cents 

Kids will go where:

(1)  They start from Day 1

(2)  They play a vast majority of their games on NATIONAL TV so they can show what they can do.

(3)  The track record for going to the NBA in the first round is established.

(4)  Their academic road is "manageable" ( whether that means it's done for them or at least easy for them).

Anything else for these "diaper dandies" is secondary.

It takes a kid with realistic attitudes and the ability to work hard to come to IU...........my two cents 

Was that a Kensucky reference?

I think the reason we're not bein flooded with recruits is there's too many kids out there that want that free ride. They don't wanna work hard to get their dream. So they'll go to the schools that hand them everything, which is good for us because that lets us get the TRUE ball players. Look at Troy Williams and Stan Robinson an Noah Vonleh, all they talk about is "do work", and they are what will make our team stay elite.

I think we also have to consider our lack of available scholarships.  We're already over-signed for next year.

And I hate to say this, but a lot of the top recruits think the nike symbol looks like this $

The over signing situation, and the Roth/Patterson examples set this fall is going to weigh heavy with recruits.  

Won't be the first thing they think about, but it's also very easy for opposing coaches to bring it up and hit a nerve with recruits and families at just the right time.  Just look at the issues next year and look at the young bench guys and tell me 1 or 2 of them does not regret coming in this year, and they probably also see a situation where they will be encouraged to look elsewhere which will only exasperate the problem.

It's a good problem to have, but also an ugly side to recruiting, and can end up giving the program a black eye from time to time.