Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

9 hours ago, Alford Bailey said:

Always thought weight would be Zions limiting factor but didnt expect it to be an issue so soon. Young man better buckle down.

It's a really bad sign that he showed up to summer league so big. If he was really ~285 pounds at Duke then he has to be at least 300 now. 

It's a really bad sign that he showed up to summer league so big. If he was really ~285 pounds at Duke then he has to be at least 300 now. 

Next Charles Barkley with that weight. Always a struggle. Hopefully Zion can have a decently long career. Think he will be good for the NBA.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

First we have the State of California thumbing its nose at the NCAA and now this.  Poor Mark Emmert lol

Adrian Wojnarowski @wojespn

The NBA's agents have signed a letter that informs the NCAA that player agents will not register for the NCAA's proposed agent certification process, according to the letter obtained by ESPN. The @TheNBPA will transmit letter to the NCAA soon, per sources.

1 minute ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

First we have the State of California thumbing its nose at the NCAA and now this.  Poor Mark Emmert lol

Adrian Wojnarowski @wojespn

The NBA's agents have signed a letter that informs the NCAA that player agents will not register for the NCAA's proposed agent certification process, according to the letter obtained by ESPN. The @TheNBPA will transmit letter to the NCAA soon, per sources.

The NCAA as it is will be doomed if California passes this. If the NCAA were to play hardball and kick out the schools the California schools would just form their own association and because of the appeal of getting paid would get all the best players

Happy beginning of the NBA season Joe. I know you are more of an NBA guy so enjoy the start of the season. Some teams to keep on eye on? Do you do NBA fantasy

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Clippers
Lakers
Houston
Bucks
76s
Nuggets
Golden State
Portland
Celtics
Jazz

I think the Pacers can be good if Vic returns healthy.

I think the NBA is more wide open than it has been in years. Looks like Clippers could be the real deal.

I’m not Joe, but I like fantasy NBA.

For funsies. Look at Sacramento’s roster and imagine that College basketball team. Who’s who of good/talented college ballers.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Clippers
Lakers
Houston
Bucks
76s
Nuggets
Golden State
Portland
Celtics
Jazz

I think the NBA is more wide open than it has been in years. Looks like Clippers could be the real deal.

For funsies. Look at Sacramento’s roster and imagine that College basketball team. Who’s who of good/talented college ballers.

Even though I don’t watch the NBA as much I’m still in a fantasy league with my friends. We have been in the same league on CBS sports for 18 years. We started it in college and still do it to this day. Head to head with points for points, reb, assists, steals, blocks minus points for turnovers and -5 for foul outs and -3 for Technical Fouls. 25 points for Triple Doubles.
My team this year
Towns
Doncic
Walker
McCollum
Love
Whiteside
Valencunious
Someone else I can’t remember
I have Nurkic on injured reserve.

I don’t do as well anymore since I don’t keep up on it like I did in the past but it’s something I see us doing every year. It’s a way to keep in touch with people that have moved out of state

Clippers
Lakers
Houston
Bucks
76s
Nuggets
Golden State
Portland
Celtics
Jazz

Celtics have several top college players over the last few years too.

Celtics have several top college players over the last few years too.

Man this will be unpopular but are we at a point where we can say Stevens isn’t a good developer of talent? Great X’s and O’s guy. Easily top 5 at any level. Up there with Pop, but Pop produced talent constantly at the back end of the first. That’s not all luck. But in the NBA you need stars. They have had a few top 5 picks. No superstars. Honestly in the right situation I think Tatum or Brown could have been. Their young kids are getting to a point and really not getting any better. Would love to hear from BGleas how he feels on that because nobody pays as close of attention.

Happy beginning of the NBA season Joe. I know you are more of an NBA guy so enjoy the start of the season. Some teams to keep on eye on? Do you do NBA fantasy

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Some fun teams to keep an eye on who will be really good would be the Clippers, Nuggets, Blazers and 76ers. Clippers have the best bench in the NBA. Put up 60 points against the Lakers in their first game. Lou Williams had 21 himself compared the Lakers 19 bench points. The Nuggets are just a team that is deep as you could ask for in the NBA. They play as a team and have a superstar on their team in Nikola Jokic. The Blazers have arguably the best guard in the league and have changed up their roster yet again and are looking for a repeat and better of last season. Dame Lillard is just a fun player to watch. The 76ers will be in the running for best in the East AND best in the league. A bit more showtime than the Bucks so some more fun.

As for teams to just watch for that could sneak into the playoffs with some luck or could just be really fun to watch, the Chicago Bulls, Atlanta Hawks and the Sacramento Kings. The Bulls have a Top 3-4 power forward in the league in Lauri Markkanen. Kid is a beast on the offensive end. Coby White will be starting a PG here soon. And Zach LaVine can still dunk. The Atlanta Hawks have a young core that’s arguably the best in the league. Trae Young, Cam Reddish, DeAndre Hunter, John Collins and Damian Jones starting and Kevin Huerter and Bruno Fernando on the bench. They also have Vince Carter who is still somehow playing and I’m not really sure how. The Kings have the pieces to make the playoffs in the West if it will just click finally. De’Aaron Fox should be a Top 5 PG this season. Marvin Bagley should be a Top PF. That to go along with Buddy Hield, Harrison Barnes and Bojan Bogdanovic with some vets in Trevor Ariza and Cory Joseph, should be a team to at least give some teams trouble.
This NBA season is about the duos as it seems the Big 3 era has ended and there are plenty of great duos and some young star duos. LeBron/Davis, Simmons/Embiid, Kawhi/George are 3 of the biggest ones. But there are some young ones really worth paying attention to. Doncic/Porzingis, Young/Collins, Fox/Bagley, Booker/Ayton and then the youngest is Sexton/Garland as Cleveland tries to go for the Dame Lillard/CJ McCollum approach. One storyline I think will be in Miami and seeing Kendrick Nunn continues to perform.
It’ll be a fun season and I actually hope to rank all 30 teams best duos here soon. Plenty of fu teams, a very wide open league at the top and among fringe playoff teams. There is more talent now than ever before.

Man this will be unpopular but are we at a point where we can say Stevens isn’t a good developer of talent? Great X’s and O’s guy. Easily top 5 at any level. Up there with Pop, but Pop produced talent constantly at the back end of the first. That’s not all luck. But in the NBA you need stars. They have had a few top 5 picks. No superstars. Honestly in the right situation I think Tatum or Brown could have been. Their young kids are getting to a point and really not getting any better. Would love to hear from BGleas how he feels on that because nobody pays as close of attention.

Popovich is overrated. He’s had some great talent. Arguably the best power forward to ever walk the earth would be a big reason why and they tanked for him. Last season was the first time they haven’t won 50 games under him now that Ginobili and Parker were both gone. I think the USA team has exposed his coaching a bit. He’s still one of the best and possibly the best in the league, but he’s no gift from god. Just a man with a plan and part of a great organization(like the Patriots). Celtics just brought in a locker room cancer in Kyrie Irving which was a bad move. They honestly should have went after a guy like Mike Conley over Kemba but Kemba is a bit cheaper. They do have a lot of really young talent to set them up for the future or for future trades(Ainge loves to do it and still have lots of picks). As of right now Brad Wanamaker is the only guy who is 30+ years old and he just turned 30 in July. Kemba and Hayward are the only other two born before 1993. Romeo is 20, Edwards, Grant Williams, Waters and Tatum are all 21, Robert Williams is 22. Brown is 23. Tacko is 24. Ojeleye and Smart are 25, Vincent Poirier and Javonte Green are 26, Daniel Thies is 27 and then Kemba and Hayward are 29. They are one of the youngest teams in the league. So Brad has quite a bit of room still to improve considering his roster now. People probably expect championships now, but Ainge is building for 2, 3 or even 4 years down the road. When LeBron is likely retired and guys like Durant are in the back end of their careers.

Popovich is overrated. He’s had some great talent. Arguably the best power forward to ever walk the earth would be a big reason why and they tanked for him. Last season was the first time they haven’t won 50 games under him now that Ginobili and Parker were both gone. I think the USA team has exposed his coaching a bit. He’s still one of the best and possibly the best in the league, but he’s no gift from god. Just a man with a plan and part of a great organization(like the Patriots). Celtics just brought in a locker room cancer in Kyrie Irving which was a bad move. They honestly should have went after a guy like Mike Conley over Kemba but Kemba is a bit cheaper. They do have a lot of really young talent to set them up for the future or for future trades(Ainge loves to do it and still have lots of picks). As of right now Brad Wanamaker is the only guy who is 30+ years old and he just turned 30 in July. Kemba and Hayward are the only other two born before 1993. Romeo is 20, Edwards, Grant Williams, Waters and Tatum are all 21, Robert Williams is 22. Brown is 23. Tacko is 24. Ojeleye and Smart are 25, Vincent Poirier and Javonte Green are 26, Daniel Thies is 27 and then Kemba and Hayward are 29. They are one of the youngest teams in the league. So Brad has quite a bit of room still to improve considering his roster now. People probably expect championships now, but Ainge is building for 2, 3 or even 4 years down the road. When LeBron is likely retired and guys like Durant are in the back end of their careers.

They did not tank for Duncan. Robinson started the season hurt. Then played 6 games only to get hurt again. They were expected to be a playoff team that year. At the time Robinson was enough for a perennial playoff birth. But you bring up Ginobili and Parker. That’s kind of my point. Look at where they were drafted. Along with Leonard. That’s where you expect to find great talent and find a perennial winner? When you do it with different situations and players consistently you are that good. That organization was in no way great before him. That’s like saying the Bulls were a great organization and Phil Jackson had a plan. Come on man. If it were that easy every team would be that way. I know that isn’t really a hot take, but sometimes it really is just that simple.

1 hour ago, mdn82 said:

We saw last year that Stevens doesn't know how to juggle stars. He does best when he has a scrappy team of underdogs like he had with Isaiah Thomas. I don't know that it's fair to say he isn't a good developer of talent. He might not be a good one, but by the time players make it to the NBA I think development is more on them than it is the coaching staff. 

They did not tank for Duncan. Robinson started the season hurt. Then played 6 games only to get hurt again. They were expected to be a playoff team that year. At the time Robinson was enough for a perennial playoff birth. But you bring up Ginobili and Parker. That’s kind of my point. Look at where they were drafted. Along with Leonard. That’s where you expect to find great talent and find a perennial winner? When you do it with different situations and players consistently you are that good. That organization was in no way great before him. That’s like saying the Bulls were a great organization and Phil Jackson had a plan. Come on man. If it were that easy every team would be that way. I know that isn’t really a hot take, but sometimes it really is just that simple.

Not every situation is the same. The Spurs is a good organization. They’ve drafted pretty well. Ginobili and Parker were going to be good on any team but they found themselves in a good spot. Like I said he is possibly still the best coach in the league. But he isn’t the greatest coach to walk the planet like so many want to think. That was proven this summer after the absolutely embarrassing performance by Team USA.

Not every situation is the same. The Spurs are a good organization. They’ve drafted pretty well. Ginobili and Parker were going to be good on any team but they found themselves in a good spot.

You are literally pointing to one situation over his 25 year career with a group that was never going to be cohesive as a group as your reasoning why “he isn’t that great”. That makes no sense. Ginobili was the 57th pick in the draft. Tony Parker was the 28th pick. Obviously they had talent, but if you feel they would have been equal to what they were on say the Hornets I will flat out disagree. It is virtually impossible to be the same player from team A to team B when the situation, coaching, and teammates are different. Your other stuff got deleted. Because he has proven to be the best coach in the NBA. He is on Mount Rushmore with Phil Jackson and Red. There is literally no way to deny what the man has done. Let alone over a national team of fifth stringers thrown together at the last minute. At least we are past tanking talk from a time you weren’t even alive.