Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

This is sort of off topic, but the MVP talk made me curious. To me it seems like the MVP usually goes to the best player on the best team. But, in the past 20 years the MVP won the championship only 6 times. Jordan, Shaq, Duncan, LeBron twice, and Curry. 
Idk, I just found that interesting lol. 

Duncan is a special player I feel doesn't get the recognition he deserves.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

He would have? His shot was not good. He did his damage in fast break or in the post. He could have averaged more, but no way he scores as much as the scorers in the 80s or 90s. Not even a Jordan thing. Look, I agree every player can pad their stats. Or do things differently for perception. But ultimately if Magic is going out just to score he turns into Allen Iverson. Low average. Maybe a year or two efficient and good, but lesser player imo. Part of what made Magic was his vision. Same as Lebron. His vision is as good as Jason Kidd in a Forward's body. Whenever this conversation comes up which is frequent. It's all personal preference to what a perfect player is to the individual. I prefer a player that does it at both ends of the floor day in day out. That is why I prefer Jordan. Take away the MVP's if that makes everyone feel better. How about 1st team defense? Jordan's accolades were more than every other player at both ends of the floor. Titles get brought up. There is literally no weakness in his resume. Lebron is pretty damn special, but if I got the chance to start a team with the 28 year old version of any player it is Jordan all day.

Yes he would have...go back and watch some of those games in the finals that he totally dominated. Or at least watch highlights. Gonna have to just agree to disagree on this one

Sent from my LG-H900 using BtownBanners mobile app

12 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

Duncan is a special player I feel doesn't get the recognition he deserves.

He's an all-time great imo. Unfortunately lack of recognition seems to be the price you pay when you aren't flashy and you don't really draw any attention to yourself.

Yes he would have...go back and watch some of those games in the finals that he totally dominated. Or at least watch highlights. Gonna have to just agree to disagree on this one

Sent from my LG-H900 using BtownBanners mobile app

Yeah agree to disagree. Cause the finals does not mean he could do it for 82. His game was getting into the paint to get to the line. He couldn't shoot from outside. I am all for highlights, but I prefer not to cherry pick video to prove a point. Every player has highlights. Magic couldn't average 30 over 82 and look good doing it. Not sure how that thought of a player whose game wasn't scoring could average 30 a game. Magic is 19.5 for his career. He could not have done what you are suggesting and maintain the Lakers winning in the 80's.

Magic's shortcomings were defense and shooting. Would still take him or the Big O as my point guard.

Sent from my SM-G900V using BtownBanners mobile app

Absolutely me too. This started because it was suggested Magic could have scored as much as Jordan if he wanted to. I disagreed due to his shooting and was told he could shoot. His game was inside the paint to get to the line if he was scoring.

He's an all-time great imo. Unfortunately lack of recognition seems to be the price you pay when you aren't flashy and you don't really draw any attention to yourself.

Agreed man. He would probably be one of those players receiving consideration if you could pick a player to start a team in their prime. Top 5 considerations for sure.

3 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

Agreed man. He would probably be one of those players receiving consideration if you could pick a player to start a team in their prime. Top 5 considerations for sure.

No doubt. I think another thing that contributes to his lack of recognition was that the Spurs were considered to be "boring" so people didn't tune in as often as they would with other all-time greats.

I just did a quick Google search on Duncan... 15x All-NBA and 15x All-Defensive.. Sheesh. 

No doubt. I think another thing that contributes to his lack of recognition was that the Spurs were considered to be "boring" so people didn't tune in as often as they would with other all-time greats.
I just did a quick Google search on Duncan... 15x All-NBA and 15x All-Defensive.. Sheesh. 

Wow!

Sent from my SM-G900V using BtownBanners mobile app

17 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

He would be...? Because he was great in high school? That's the same argument as LeBron should have the MVP every year because he's the best not because he had the best season. All those players were great and HOF's but they had better seasons than Jordan in his prime? Not close. Durant has done it for a few years, Westbrook has had dominant regular seasons, Steph has had MVP worthy seasons with titles, Khawai Leonard is right there and will surpass LJ soon, Kobe was up there for awhile.

I can see why some view LeBron the way they do. I view Jordan in the same light. If LeBron had Jordan's attitude and mental game he would be far and away the best player. If Jordan had LeBron's physical game he'd be far and away the best player. I think the difference is Jordan's physical ability is better than LeBron's mental game. (Both players weaker area).

Why didn't Jordan win MVP every year then if nobody came even close to having better seasons than him? LeBron James might have the best basketball mind of all time so I definitely disagree with your "mental" jab. You can argue that Jordan was more clutch or had a better "killer instinct" because of #rings. I won't debate you on that. But to say that LeBron's "mental game" is weak is just wrong.

And on the football thing, I say that because it's pretty self evident. He's one of the most freakish athletes of all time and incredibly smart. A college or NFL route tree would be incredibly easy for him to get down. I trust people like Urban Meyer who tried to get him to ND as a receiver/tight end to evaluate football potential. 

I'm not going to ever argue against someone who thinks MJ is 1 and LBJ is 2. That's a perfectly reasonable take. But some of the reasoning being used against LeBron I just can't agree with.