Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

Victor Oladipo - Memphis Grizzlies

Let’s all cool it with politics. Lord knows I have my political opinions; I don’t put em on this board.

FWIW; I can’t imagine how anyone, especially an IU fan, wouldn’t love Victor Oladipo. It is absolutely mind blowing to read a post from an IU fan who “used to like” VO. The man is a role model both on and off the court in so so many ways.

4 hours ago, Josh said:

To dislike a wonderful person because they have different political opinions than you is a major part of what's wrong in this country. 

I don't dislike someone who has different political opinions than my own.  That would be foolish, and it would cause me to be very lonely.

I do, however, dislike sports stars or celebrities who use their status and fame to push their beliefs or candidates onto others, which is what Oladipo did.  We all like VO for his accomplishments on the court at IU, not what he does in the ballot box.  He appeared at a rally for Joe Donnelly and told everyone within the sound of his voice to "Vote Donnelly".  Why should we listen to him?  Because he's good at basketball?

I hate that crap. And before you ask- YES, I would hate it just as much if he appeared at a rally for Mike Braun, or any other Republican and told us "Vote xxxx"

A huge part of what's wrong with this country is celebrities trying to use their status to advance their beliefs onto everyone else, and worse, people who listen to them.

A huge part of what's wrong with this country is celebrities trying to use their status to advance their beliefs onto everyone else, and worse, people who listen to them.

Depends why they’re doing it. Some people are good hearted and some aren’t. I believe VO is a good hearted person, and genuinely wants to do good and help.

However, there are plenty of examples of celebrities having selfish and hateful reasons for promoting their beliefs as you’re alluding to as well.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, AKHoosier said:

I don't dislike someone who has different political opinions than my own.  That would be foolish, and it would cause me to be very lonely.

I do, however, dislike sports stars or celebrities who use their status and fame to push their beliefs or candidates onto others, which is what Oladipo did.  We all like VO for his accomplishments on the court at IU, not what he does in the ballot box.  He appeared at a rally for Joe Donnelly and told everyone within the sound of his voice to "Vote Donnelly".  Why should we listen to him?  Because he's good at basketball?

I hate that crap. And before you ask- YES, I would hate it just as much if he appeared at a rally for Mike Braun, or any other Republican and told us "Vote xxxx"

So, he's pushing his beliefs on you, while you're telling him how he should live.  What's the difference?  Why the hate?  I just don't get it and I'll back away here.  Some people get so angry at different opinions

1 hour ago, Josh said:

So, he's pushing his beliefs on you, while you're telling him how he should live.  What's the difference?  Why the hate?  I just don't get it and I'll back away here.  Some people get so angry at different opinions

What?

Where did I try to tell him how he should live?  He's got the right to do what he wants, but I never said I had to like it, nor do we have to listen to it.

1 hour ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Depends why they’re doing it. Some people are good hearted and some aren’t. I believe VO is a good hearted person, and genuinely wants to do good and help.

However, there are plenty of examples of celebrities having selfish and hateful reasons for promoting their beliefs as you’re alluding to as well.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Well I think he's a good-hearted person and genuinely wants to do good and help too, but that has nothing to do with supporting one candidate over the other.