Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
ccgeneral

(2017) C Samuel Japhet-Mathias

http://zagsblog.com/...secret-no-more/

In his opening week, the man-child had a coming out party in front of 30+ total Division I programs, including Pittsburgh, Kansas State, Providence, Oklahoma State, Virginia, Wake Forest, and many more.

Samuel Japhet-Mathias is a 6-foot-11 center with a freakish 7-4 wingspan from Globe Academy in London, England.

Last season, he posted averages of 12 points and 9 rebounds per game against the best England has to offer. He recently arrived at Vermont Academy to play for Coach Alex Popp, and it didn’t take him long to make a big first impression.

“I’ve received interest from Miami and Indiana,” he said. “Indiana knows how to develop bigs very well, and Miami plays in a great conference and are coached very well.”

No doubting Crean's recruiting tenacity. However, recent doubting of the results though.

Indiana is very often mentioned early on these types of rising 3 stars.

People doubted the Holt signing, but I think it makes for a great tie with Vermont Academy. Of course Holt didn't play there but he was about to go there when Indiana got involved and I think Indiana talked to the Vermont Academy coach for scouting reports on Holt. I've just noticed that since we signed Holt, we've started recruiting several players from Vermont Academy

Has anyone else noticed that any time we're recruiting bigs, their coach mentions how well IU develops bigs? I just find that interesting as it is definitely not the first thing I think of.

Sent from my place of advanced, analytical thinking: the toilet.

Has anyone else noticed that any time we're recruiting bigs, their coach mentions how well IU develops bigs? I just find that interesting as it is definitely not the first thing I think of.

Sent from my place of advanced, analytical thinking: the toilet.

Well we have had two bigs leave IU and be lottery picks. Most fans are overly critical and don't think Crean had much to do with it, but to the public and programs outside of IU, they see it as they were developed at IU

Well we have had two bigs leave IU and be lottery picks. Most fans are overly critical and don't think Crean had much to do with it, but to the public and programs outside of IU, they see it as they were developed at IU

Both those guys were 5 star McDs coming in. Crean continued to get them ready to make the leap but he has not had any success with kids ranked lower.

HP was a 4* and is probably a power forward but hopefully he can break out this year. Would love to even see April develop but so far if your not a five star big then you really do not develop at IU. Certainly not all on Crean but there is some to share with him

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Both those guys were 5 star McDs coming in. Crean continued to get them ready to make the leap but he has not had any success with kids ranked lower.

HP was a 4* and is probably a power forward but hopefully he can break out this year. Would love to even see April develop but so far if your not a five star big then you really do not develop at IU. Certainly not all on Crean but there is some to share with him

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Im not saying it's all on Crean but I m saying that from outsiders perspective, they see big men being drafted high out of Indiana and make a connection. Its like people making the connection between Kentucky and the NBA. Coach Cal doesn't develop anyone or anything but people view Kentucky as a way to get to the NBA. 

Oops CC---sorry I missed this one when I posted the other thread.

What I found interesting is that he just came to the states and Vermont Academy is saying he is comparable in talent to a McDonald's All American. Programs like to hype their players---but that's some serious praise.

With our new Holt connection to Vermont Academy----and our need for a big Big----this is one to keep an eye on!