Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

FortWayneHoosier

This Started It All for Me

Most of my family are IU fans, when I was a year or two old I had a stuffed animal that sang the fight song and I of course learned it and sang with it. I'd always said I was an IU fan, but never really watched any games, except the occasional IU vs. UK game. When I was in eighth grade I had a teacher that was a big IU fan and for some reason I decided to start watching the games. I haven't missed a game since. I've skipped going to other things to make time for IU basketball.

I was born and raised in Muncie. The '76 team got me hooked around age 13. Watched as many games as I could on an extremely "fuzzy" channel 4. Loved watching them win it all as the last undefeated champ.

My father was a music professor at Ball St. and hated IU because the best potential students would always pick Bloomington (recruiting of a different kind). About 5 years ago before he passed away, I went to visit him and was wearing an IU t-shirt. He looked at me with disgust and just shook his head. I said; "Sorry Dad, it's my favorite basketball team, nothing personal". I guess for him he just couldn't get past that feeling towards IU.

This is an interesting question.  I, probably, like many of you, think that I'm the biggest IU basketball fan out there.  I can remember when I first started watching IU on WTT4 in 1986, My Dad and Grandma were big fans and I was just exposed to IU at such a young age.  Growing up in the 80's as a kid was pretty fun, my family lived on the Southside in Greenwood, and many weekends we would travel the 1 hour drive to Bloomington and go to Lake Monroe in Bloomington, so i also got to experience the Campus as a kid, and it was a really cool time and place, back in those days. And really just from then on, i've become a huge fan.  Like to the point where i can pretty much name every roster the last 25 years and watch old recordings of games that I got, and prolly give my left nut for another NCAA Championship during my lifetime, lbvs..

When I was a kid we would go to some UE games, but we would always watch IU on TV. We lived outside of town so all we had were 6 local channels. Luckily, the games were on one of them, 44 I think. I'll have to admit that I watched almost every game until I went off to college in the fall of '92 then I basically stopped. I didn't start watching again until Cody came. My HS played Washington every year and I wanted to follow his career, so I started watching again. Now I'm hooked again! So I guess Cody brought me back to IU basketball.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I have been an IU fan since the early 60's. I will continue to support every player and coach to the very end! Yes I do get upset at times with the way we play, but I will never boo a player or coach. I love IU and will root like crazy every game every year!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Awesome thread!

My dad is who got me into IU. When he first got out of the service he watched a lot of Purdue. He went to HS with Bob Ford and really like watching Rick Mount. Then when Coach Knight was hired at IU he was all in. My first very vague memories are of IU in the '75 tourney. (I was born in '69). The first team I really got into was the '81 team. I remember watching the final game with our pastor and his wife, who are UK fans. My dad stayed cool and calm until they left. I remember him shutting the door, then turning to me and jumped up and down and giving me five.

He's gone now, but the one thing that gives me a smile is knowing he passed away a couple weeks after Samscum was fired. He had sworn off IU basketball, as did I, as long as that man was in charge. My last great memory with him is sitting in the hospital watching the Northwestern game with him right after Dakich took over. He died knowing that the cheater was gone and thinking that things were going back to the way things were.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Back in the early 80's, the Hoosiers used to play exhibition games at the Fort Wayne Memorial Coliseum.  I was 10 years old and thought it was awesome to see these guys play.  it also gave those an opportunity to see live who couldn't make to Bloomington.  I wish they would bring that tradition back.  I am sure the NCAA wouldn't allow it for some reason.

Back in the early 80's, the Hoosiers used to play exhibition games at the Fort Wayne Memorial Coliseum.  I was 10 years old and thought it was awesome to see these guys play.  it also gave those an opportunity to see live who couldn't make to Bloomington.  I wish they would bring that tradition back.  I am sure the NCAA wouldn't allow it for some reason.

Great avatar. Even better movie.

Thanks for sharing IU memories---HoosierCoop and BuckNaked!  Enjoyed them.  It's funny that no matter how different each of our memories are-----they unite us all as Hoosiers!  I know other places love their basketball---but it is almost a religion in Indiana----it's part of our family history----it's in our DNA!

so much IU history in my family and upbringing...

my high school Spanish teacher was an IU grad...

has 4th row bleacher seat season tickets...yeah...I said bleacher seats...behind the opposing team...

and my senior year, he gave me and my best friend his tickets for a game he couldn't make...I was in heaven...

it was the 89/90 season...

nothing amazing happened, and it was a less than stellar season...but I wouldn't trade it for the world...

so much IU history in my family and upbringing...

my high school Spanish teacher was an IU grad...

has 4th row bleacher seat season tickets...yeah...I said bleacher seats...behind the opposing team...

and my senior year, he gave me and my best friend his tickets for a game he couldn't make...I was in heaven...

it was the 89/90 season...

nothing amazing happened, and it was a less than stellar season...but I wouldn't trade it for the world...

Where did you go to HS?  I know a retired Spanish teacher who has really good season tix.